Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If that was the case why would he start Ramsey over Luiz and Sanson in 2 important games?

So Gareth Southgate has finally played Grealish.  Does that mean that he is right to pick Dier in front of Ezri Konsa??

I feel like half of the people on here are Smithistas - to steal a phrase from Jose - and just believe it is wrong to question any decision a manager makes.  I think they might have spent too long listening to Mourinho! 😉

https://www.90min.com/posts/jose-mourinho-compares-himself-to-a-rocket-scientist-confesses-his-love-of-mourinistas-01f1qdpa7kh3

Extract:

"Mourinho was later asked how he deals with those who criticise him, and he simply insisted that there is nobody in the world who is worthy of speaking to him about football.

"I don't think anybody is going to discuss rocket science with the guys from NASA, with everybody around the world," he began. "They think they can discuss football with one of the most important managers in the game. That's the beauty of football. I got used to it. I appreciate that. So that's fine for me.""

22 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I feel like half of the people on here are Smithistas - to steal a phrase from Jose - and just believe it is wrong to question any decision a manager makes.

BS

I guess some might put me in that category.  As I said to briny_ear yesterday, there are those some feel to call us that but we are not, we just stand up to silly comments that happen regularly which are unreasonable.  Any reasonable points are good for discussion.  

Most want to improve Villa and I also put on criticism as well but some pipe up only when we lose and are disingenuous/trolling....so maybe then I turn into a Smithista when “any excuse to bash Smith” brigade come out.  There is a big difference between these people and those that come on here to discuss and constructively criticise.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

BS

I guess some might put me in that category.  As I said to briny_ear yesterday, there are those some feel to call us that but we are not, we just stand up to silly comments that happen regularly which are unreasonable.  Any reasonable points are good for discussion.  

Most want to improve Villa and I also put on criticism as well but some pipe up only when we lose and are disingenuous/trolling....so maybe then I turn into a Smithista when “any excuse to bash Smith” brigade come out.  There is a big difference between these people and those that come on here to discuss and constructively criticise.

I was being a tad controversial and I also quite liked Mourinho's quote so I thought it worthy of a post and the manager's string was the obvious place! 😉

I do agree with a large part of what you have said but I think people who question Smith are often bashed unfairly as fitting into the category you describe as "piping up only when we lose and are disingenuous".  It is hard to be critical of a Villa team that is rolling over Liverpool and Arsenal and why would we want to!  If we had carried on like that, there would certainly be very few critics.  However, I feel that the recent run we have been on makes Smith fair game for criticism, or at least discussion.  Everybody can have bad games and even runs of bad games, as Liverpool have shown.  What frustrates me about Smith is his unwillingness to try anything new to try and get a spark and his doggedness in sticking with his tried and trusted that week in week out, at the minute, is producing very poor football.

We have discussed the diamond and KD up top with Ollie.  I know you are not a fan of KD and I obviously have more belief in his potential but I am amazed that anyone can defend a manager that keeps persisting with Trezeguet and, to a lesser extent, AEG.  My system might not be fantastic/the answer but it has got to be worth a shot given how poor the incumbents have been over the past 10 games or so?  I am also massively surprised as to how a midfield trio of Luiz - McGinn - Barkely have gone from being up there with the best in the PL to being hopeless - there has got to be something there that is more than just form??

I am critical of Smith, but that doesn't mean I want him out.  I was desperate to get him in earlier than we did partly because of the football he was playing at Brentford and partly because of the dire football we were playing under Bruce - he defo appeared the right choice for us at the time.  It also helps massively that he is one of our own!  However, I don't think he is beyond criticism and I think he does have areas/weaknesses that we should be discussing openly without everyone jumping down people's throats because we are safe this year. 

I hope that Dean can address any weaknesses and evolve to become the best coach in the league.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

So Gareth Southgate has finally played Grealish.  Does that mean that he is right to pick Dier in front of Ezri Konsa??

Don’t see how that’s the same thing. You said Smith might not be picking youngsters because he doesn’t want to upset the first team squad (or something of that affect). I said if that was true he wouldn’t have picked Ramsey over other senior players. 

Listen Smith could be wrong about these kids and they could have a future at villa.  I personally think if they were good enough they would feature already. Ramsey is proof of this.   If any of the two players that were on the bench in recent weeks go on to have Premier League careers, I’ll happily admit I was completely off the mark. 

Anyway lets agree to disagree. 

Have a good day mate.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
Removed some comments

28 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I was being a tad controversial and I also quite liked Mourinho's quote so I thought it worthy of a post and the manager's string was the obvious place! 😉

I do agree with a large part of what you have said but I think people who question Smith are often bashed unfairly as fitting into the category you describe as "piping up only when we lose and are disingenuous".  It is hard to be critical of a Villa team that is rolling over Liverpool and Arsenal and why would we want to!  If we had carried on like that, there would certainly be very few critics.  However, I feel that the recent run we have been on makes Smith fair game for criticism, or at least discussion.  Everybody can have bad games and even runs of bad games, as Liverpool have shown.  What frustrates me about Smith is his unwillingness to try anything new to try and get a spark and his doggedness in sticking with his tried and trusted that week in week out, at the minute, is producing very poor football.

We have discussed the diamond and KD up top with Ollie.  I know you are not a fan of KD and I obviously have more belief in his potential but I am amazed that anyone can defend a manager that keeps persisting with Trezeguet and, to a lesser extent, AEG.  My system might not be fantastic/the answer but it has got to be worth a shot given how poor the incumbents have been over the past 10 games or so?  I am also massively surprised as to how a midfield trio of Luiz - McGinn - Barkely have gone from being up there with the best in the PL to being hopeless - there has got to be something there that is more than just form??

I am critical of Smith, but that doesn't mean I want him out.  I was desperate to get him in earlier than we did partly because of the football he was playing at Brentford and partly because of the dire football we were playing under Bruce - he defo appeared the right choice for us at the time.  It also helps massively that he is one of our own!  However, I don't think he is beyond criticism and I think he does have areas/weaknesses that we should be discussing openly without everyone jumping down people's throats because we are safe this year. 

I hope that Dean can address any weaknesses and evolve to become the best coach in the league.  

See that’s the reasonable post that I have talked about it’s the post by others that are OTT that are the problem.

I know you like KD, I’m guessing Smith doesn’t or doesn’t see enough in training to warrant more time for him.  Even against Newcastle at the end of the game he played El Ghazi and Watkins up top...says a lot about how much he rates KD.  I’m arguing with you though about how poor El Ghazi and Trez are, I just think KD is slightly worse and it looks like Smith does as well. Given how poor our front line is, Smith doesn’t want to play KD so he must not be doing it in training must he?  I mean sees him 7 days a week training and despite us being poor for 2 months, KD still doesn’t get a sniff.  You think that Smith has tried most other players in midfield and attack from our senior first team squad but KD, what does that tell you?  At some point it fans have to question the player, he’s obviously not doing it in training otherwise Smith would give him more time in the current form we are in surely?  Smith have him a new contract but doesn’t play him.  Suggests he likes him but the player isn’t doing it on the training pitch doesn’t it? So I’m not defending picking Trez or El Ghazi, I’m just saying it doesn’t look like we have any other options do we if KD seems to be out of the picture for a start.

No idea about the midfield three, it is bizarre they have fell off a cliff. I also have criticisms of the team including midfield, including continuous poor set pieces.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 11:58, sne said:

Sure anything can happen. If our owners continue to outspend all but a very few clubs in the world year after year after year then we could catch up. But I think it's harder to become the new Chelsea these days. The likes of Liverpool, Man C, Man U and Chelsea are decades ahead of us and their revenues are so much bigger. And we have to catch Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester and Everton first. On and off the pitch.

Not saying it's impossible, just that I don't think we will. 

Leicester is the obvious template. Of course the random winning league season helps and they still have a couple in their squad from those days but remember they dipped for 2-3 seasons afterwards. Weren't far off going down season after before sacking Ranieri then the following two years were mid table under Claude Puel with some talented young players coming through but they couldn't quite get the first 11 right (probably where we are currently). Last season they should've finished top 4 but bottled it in similar fashion to us in 08/09. This season they should make it and also strong favourites to make FA cup final so domestically their squad is very strong considering the injuries they've had.

Then you have Everton who've spunked 500m since summer 2016 yet are still way off Leicester's level despite signing some decent enough players.

Always seems like there's a freak  season every 5 years when 3-4 of the big 6 all have really poor seasons at the same time. Leicester year was one when Chelsea, Liverpool and Man. United all failed to finish top 4 and this season is another which is why it's frustrating we're not quite there yet to take advantage. Can only hope in 4-5 years time we will be ready to really take advantage.

Leicester in last two years signed Ricardo Peireria, Soyuncu, Castagne and Tielemans with the odd youngster like Fofana (who was still regular in French league) so I think that's the next step for us, signing good quality international players in early to mid 20s from good leagues who massively improve the first 11. We've reached that point now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nick76 said:

But what you have said is not unreasonable.  It’s when unreasonable comments come in from people, then other people like myself comment back and get accused of following Smith blindly, accepting 14th/15th in league etc and then Smith this and that if he doesn’t do something.

What you have said is reasonable and then can be discussed because while I’ll argue as above, I still have issues like the parts you said in paragraph 2.  I worry that our set pieces are the worst I’ve seen for a very long time, I worry that Jack is our only real creator, I worry Ollie is our only decent striker, I worry we make too many silly passing errors in midfield, I worry our squad is paper thin.  All valid arguments and discussion points.

Again my point is when people become too negative and seem like Villa is falling apart at the seams.  We’ve all seen those comments and it’s unfair and some only seem to come out the woodwork when we lose.

I agree with your points, I don’t understand why we have a terrible come back problem when we go behind, yet we are one of the best when we go ahead....feels psychological in nature.  Why we are poor yet have some amazing results against some of the biggest teams. I do disagree about the structural issues if you don’t mind, we still are 10th with a game in hand, we have a small squad and only our second season but this is good point to debate on, which has been rare on this site recently.

I think for me it's just what happened a decade ago. Big spending, high profile and proven manager and some really good players across our team in those days. Friedel-Laursen-Barry-Petrov-Carew was a ridiculously good and experienced spine and we had excellent young players like Milner, Young and Gabby (at the time) to complement that and give the team more legs and directness.

Yet we messed up in 08/09. Told don't worry we'll learn from it and get it right next season and in fairness I thought we had a better season with the good cup runs but ultimately we again came up short when it really mattered. Then O'Neill left and the whole thing collapsed like a deck of cards rapidly.

I think when you see what a strong position we were in back then and how quickly it all evaporated there's that fear the same will happen again if/when Grealish leaves as he's simply so crucial to our continual improvement and only have to watch last 6 weeks to see how easily the players on the pitch absolve responsibility without him there.

Hopefully we can have a strong finish and be top half and then strengthen with 2-3 quality first 11 players and see how it goes next season but there's simply a nagging fear we get to a point and for one reason or another we can't then progress up the league whereas other clubs can with different models. Think this week marked 25 years since we last won a trophy so it's been a problem for a long long time now.

We have hugely ambitious owners so I look forward to this summer and seeing what we can do anyway.

3 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I feel like half of the people on here are Smithistas - to steal a phrase from Jose - and just believe it is wrong to question any decision a manager makes.  I think they might have spent too long listening to Mourinho! 😉

https://www.90min.com/posts/jose-mourinho-compares-himself-to-a-rocket-scientist-confesses-his-love-of-mourinistas-01f1qdpa7kh3

Extract:

"Mourinho was later asked how he deals with those who criticise him, and he simply insisted that there is nobody in the world who is worthy of speaking to him about football.

"I don't think anybody is going to discuss rocket science with the guys from NASA, with everybody around the world," he began. "They think they can discuss football with one of the most important managers in the game. That's the beauty of football. I got used to it. I appreciate that. So that's fine for me.""

I wonder how he's feeling about saying those words now?? Especially when he's got his own players telling him his training is basically school yard stuff lol.

We should of so had spurs pants down when we played them and there were many first half moments that I thought we were going to do it but as the game went one and two goals to them it made him look miles better the manager than what he is of late.

Personally I think he inherited the last managers work.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I wouldn't say no to KD up there because it's gets rid of a Winger formation we just are not able to play untill we get Grealish back or get better Wingers than Trez and Ghazi. I would like us to or should I say Smith to change the system and pack more body centrally, at least then players can always drift wide if they feel the need to.

I don't think Smith is beyond critism but he has come from the championship and had to slug his way for everything, where other managers seem to just fall into there premier clubs positions. Do think Smith deserves a fair bit of credit for where he's come from but he should always be judged on the now not the then. I don't think it's as easy to properly criticise Smith as well, at least untill he we all get the feel he has the team's he's wanted and some of the players in the squad I do feel Smith would easy get rid of today if he could. It's like with our striker situation it's tough to even be critical of any striker when you know full well our Wingers (Grealish excused) can't deliver or service a ball to our strikers, for all we know Davis even may of gotten a goal now.

Ive told myself that until I feel Smith has a squad capable of being a challenge in this league that I won't be as critical of him as I could be. There is still much work to be done and it's far easier to see where players are not pulling there weight compared to what we can't see from Smith and Co because we just see them all game barking orders. There are two things that crop up really with Smith when we lose and that is either formation and use of subs way to late.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think when you see what a strong position we were in back then and how quickly it all evaporated there's that fear the same will happen again if/when Grealish leaves as he's simply so crucial to our continual improvement and only have to watch last 6 weeks to see how easily the players on the pitch absolve responsibility without him there.

It’s like relationships though mate, your past baggage always impacts your emotions for new relationships.  You get to a certain point and may have been impacted by cheating or commitment issues or whatever so you think it’ll happen again subconsciously.  Maybe it will, maybe it won’t but different people, different circumstances so unfair to put that on the new situation.

46 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

but there's simply a nagging fear we get to a point and for one reason or another we can't then progress up the league whereas other clubs can with different models.

Problem is there is quite a few other teams trying their best to do the same thing...the Mancs, Scouse and London lot.  It maybe that we don’t faulter but other teams just do better ie we move three steps forward but another team takes four steps.  It doesn’t mean we have failed but at the same time we maybe the ones taking four steps forward.  This season we have progressed, let’s see if we progress more next season.  We have a number of issues to resolve but we seem to be moving in the right direction.

51 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We have hugely ambitious owners so I look forward to this summer and seeing what we can do anyway.

Me too.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2021 at 10:48, nick76 said:

BS

its hard to make your point, when we win.

Its time to rejoice, when we win and not much of a receptive audience, naturally.....so there is not much room to make the valid points.

I would make a suggestion only, that the ones who make the criticisms/Observations, love the club as much as you.....I guess its fair to say, how the points are made, but that is as much the recipients responsibility as the Author.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

its hard to make your point, when we win.

Its time to rejoice, when we win and not much of a receptive audience, naturally.....so there is not much room to make the valid points.

I would make a suggestion only, that the ones who make the criticisms/Observations, love the club as much as you.....I guess its fair to say, how the points are made, but that is as much the recipients responsibility as the Author.

You look at my comments during when we were winning.  I loved how well were playing and I told people to enjoy it why it lasted and I said I hope people would remember this when we went through a bad phase which we inevitably would.  I commented about the lack of squad depth, the bad decision not to have another striker brought on board but what I did, as mentioned, is say I hope the fans understand when we do go through a bad spell that we are on a journey and not live in the moment.  I have been fairly consistent on that even during the good times.  I understand that there may have not been much of a receptive audience but we see the comments being made now.  Some reasonable constructive criticism but some silly comments.  It was impossible to see us lasting the season in the form we were in, with everything....it was amazing and it will be amazing again at some point, Smith seems to be able to take a step back and then two steps forward but for some that's not good enough, not understanding where we are in our growth cycle at the moment.  It's a shame.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You look at my comments during when we were winning.  I loved how well were playing and I told people to enjoy it why it lasted and I said I hope people would remember this when we went through a bad phase which we inevitably would.  I commented about the lack of squad depth, the bad decision not to have another striker brought on board but what I did, as mentioned, is say I hope the fans understand when we do go through a bad spell that we are on a journey and not live in the moment.  I have been fairly consistent on that even during the good times.  I understand that there may have not been much of a receptive audience but we see the comments being made now.  Some reasonable constructive criticism but some silly comments.  It was impossible to see us lasting the season in the form we were in, with everything....it was amazing and it will be amazing again at some point, Smith seems to be able to take a step back and then two steps forward but for some that's not good enough, not understanding where we are in our growth cycle at the moment.  It's a shame.

I can't argue with that.....thats your way of putting it....no beef with that.

Me.....I just comment on a game, good, bad or indifferent, not saying I am right, its just me.

I don't get wrapped up in all the mitigation, because the anomolies are too many and too sceptical....I just report on the game as I see it....from that i get the usual emotions, disappointment, elation or just satisfaction......over the years those emotions have varied, from being in Rotterdam to Being relegated to the third division to being close friends with one of our best Centre forwards of modern times.....its been a roller coaster for me.....but come wind,rain or shine, I am Villa through and through.

When I watch a s*** game, I just cannot ignore it or dismiss it as some can, and just move on.....I have to analyse it, but thats just me.....when we win, I am able to shelve the not so good bits and rejoice, so yes,I guess I am selective.....I just think there is a time to discuss our shortfalls, without abondoning our love for the club......would I discuss our shortfalls with non villa fans....an emphatic no....that would be betrayal to me.

I know, you have said you peace on our performances Nick....but we have to let other folk, say theirs.....We all let off steam, in different ways, we are all Villa fans, but we are also wired differently.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

i think it's good enough for most to be fair.

but you can be happy with where we are in terms of our growth cycle but still raise valid concerns without being lumped in with the very small crowd that have been against smith from the start and will beat him with any stick they can possibly find at any given opportunity.

we have yet to see smith even try an alternative style of football and to some of us, it is a concern, considering Smith's tactics only seem to work when jack plays. does that mean we're not happy? no, it's just concerns that's all. jack seems to have a spell out of the side on an annual basis so it is a problem that needs resolving.

finish top half there will be very few unhappy fans, aside from a small number that smith will never be good enough for not matter what he does

• Like 1

On 28/03/2021 at 11:59, nick76 said:

See that’s the reasonable post that I have talked about it’s the post by others that are OTT that are the problem.

I know you like KD, I’m guessing Smith doesn’t or doesn’t see enough in training to warrant more time for him.  Even against Newcastle at the end of the game he played El Ghazi and Watkins up top...says a lot about how much he rates KD.  I’m arguing with you though about how poor El Ghazi and Trez are, I just think KD is slightly worse and it looks like Smith does as well. Given how poor our front line is, Smith doesn’t want to play KD so he must not be doing it in training must he?  I mean sees him 7 days a week training and despite us being poor for 2 months, KD still doesn’t get a sniff.  You think that Smith has tried most other players in midfield and attack from our senior first team squad but KD, what does that tell you?  At some point it fans have to question the player, he’s obviously not doing it in training otherwise Smith would give him more time in the current form we are in surely?  Smith have him a new contract but doesn’t play him.  Suggests he likes him but the player isn’t doing it on the training pitch doesn’t it? So I’m not defending picking Trez or El Ghazi, I’m just saying it doesn’t look like we have any other options do we if KD seems to be out of the picture for a start.

No idea about the midfield three, it is bizarre they have fell off a cliff. I also have criticisms of the team including midfield, including continuous poor set pieces.

The midfield are too samey, Nick......subsequently certain attributes the team needs are missing.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 10:03, GingerCollins29 said:

Hope DCjonah doesnt read this. You will be told to calm down for wanting to finish as high as possible

Brilliant. Your original points and moans are so shit, you've got to make up stuff to score brownie points. 

Well done you.

On 27/03/2021 at 10:53, GingerCollins29 said:

It's bizarre how anybody would not wish the absolute best for their club ie finishing as high as possible. Doubly bizarre why you wouldnt realise the benefits of doing so

Go on then. Prove this. I'll wait.

On 28/03/2021 at 13:36, VillaChris said:

I think for me it's just what happened a decade ago. Big spending, high profile and proven manager and some really good players across our team in those days. Friedel-Laursen-Barry-Petrov-Carew was a ridiculously good and experienced spine and we had excellent young players like Milner, Young and Gabby (at the time) to complement that and give the team more legs and directness.

Yet we messed up in 08/09. Told don't worry we'll learn from it and get it right next season and in fairness I thought we had a better season with the good cup runs but ultimately we again came up short when it really mattered. Then O'Neill left and the whole thing collapsed like a deck of cards rapidly.

Hopefully we can have a strong finish and be top half and then strengthen with 2-3 quality first 11 players and see how it goes next season but there's simply a nagging fear we get to a point and for one reason or another we can't then progress up the league whereas other clubs can with different models. Think this week marked 25 years since we last won a trophy so it's been a problem for a long long time now.

We have clearly improved since our promotion and are establishing ourselves in a gradual fashion.

my continued frustration, is with our ball retention....its only Jack that seems comfortable on the ball, the other players seem to be so fragile in possession, which can tend to lead to an early release that subsequently relates to a poor pass or we hang on too long and get dispossessed......Jack is one of the exceptions to this, one of the reasons, why he stands out so much.....sure he is a rare talent, but surely we should have at least one more that can keep or dominate the ball.

Edited by TRO

Â