Dean Smith

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Never been a fan of Barkley, always thought of him as a front foot player, good when team dominating games, but poor when having to work.

But not naive enough to think he wouldn’t improve us and help over the season.

I am the same on Barkley but he should have improved us but im not sure if lack of confidence, fitness, talent or desire which has hampered him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

You might be right - that they won't work.  But surely it is better to try them than keep doing the same thing and getting poor performances and terrible results.

The one that I am keen to see is Ollie & KD play in a pair with, ideally, Jack off them.  Your objection is that KD is not very good, yet you do not object to watching Trez play!?  Trez, over the last 10 games, has probably been up there with the worst attacking player I have seen in a Villa shirt - it is actually comical watching him.  He is so frustrated and trying so hard BUT he is so poor and lacking in quality.  I've seen enough of Davis to know that he is no worse than Trez has been playing and he may just give Ollie the support that he needs and free up some space. People say that he can't score ... he can do no worse than Trez this season in this respect.  Jack also becomes harder to mark - as he can go anywhere - whilst having three CM'ers behind him to cover.  It also means that Cash and Targett can push up more and provide the width - I think, behind Jack, they are our best crossers.

It might not work but it has to be worth a try given the dross we have dished up for the last 10 or so games??

I think it's the best of all the poor solutions to be honest playing KD up top with Ollie, not because of the formation of 4-3-1-2 but because KD is poor.  I agree Trez has been poor this season but has scored at this level although this season he has been poor.  I'm not a fan of KD as it has been pointed out but I did say he should've come on against Newcastle and he did a nice few things for 10 minutes the other day.  I just believe he makes the team weaker and given that Smith plays him less than I would suggests he doesnt have a future here.  i would be surprised when Jack is back if KD plays because with Jack on the left, Smith will play Traore on the right with Ollie down the middle.

See I dont think Davis will give Ollie the support he needs and I'm not going to reharsh all the reasons why because I have covered it many times to peoples frustration from his stats profile and his damage is in ineffective areas but given where we are if KD was picked to start I would understand why but I would be disappointed but I know others feel different.  My point is not that happy to keep going with the same system and team because I am inflexible, I just think the alternatives are much poorer.  I would happily play 2 up top in some kind of 4-3-1-2 formation or a midfield diamond if we had the right players.  Ollie needs help up there and the right striker or number 10 would be great, I just dont think KD is that guy, just as I dont think throwing kids in at the moment is the right thing to do. 

Just my opinion.  I also think the accusation on Smith that he's inflexible is not overly fair either, I'm sure if he had the players available to mix it up he would because he wants to get out of this poor form as much as us.

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

Never been a fan of Barkley, always thought of him as a front foot player, good when team dominating games, but poor when having to work.

But not naive enough to think he wouldn’t improve us and help over the season.

Biggest anticlimax signing since Stan Collymore.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If we are even dreaming of giving Chelsea anywhere near £40m for a player then it should be Tammy Abraham imo.

Chelsea got Barkley for £15m I believe, has he proven he’s worth any more...?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Stan was a far better player than Barkley though.

In terms of natural talent Stan could have been right up there as one of the best English players. Needed someone to sort his head out late teens / early twenties....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Chelsea got Barkley for £15m I believe, has he proven he’s worth any more...?

In fairness that was because he was running down his contact at Everton. Maybe in retrospect he should have stayed there as his career has gone backwards since then. I think the several niggling injuries has effected his play a  lot sadly.

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

In terms of natural talent Stan could have been right up there as one of the best English players. Needed someone to sort his head out late teens / early twenties....

The greatest English striker we never had.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

Easier said than done. He's been quite outspoken on his mental health hasn't he? Bit more to it than someone sorting his head out. Maybe in this day and age he would have gotten the help he needed.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

In fairness that was because he was running down his contact at Everton. Maybe in retrospect he should have stayed there as his career has gone backwards since then. I think the several niggling injuries has effected his play a  lot sadly.

Maybe, but he hasn't proven he's worth more, Chelsea aren't going to get anyone to pay more.

12 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If we are even dreaming of giving Chelsea anywhere near £40m for a player then it should be Tammy Abraham imo.

Shouldn’t be giving Chelsea 40 for either. 25 max for Abraham.  40 will buy you some top top players when the window opens as loads will be selling, especially in Italy and France.

Edited by HeyAnty

10 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Shouldn’t be giving Chelsea 40 for either. 25 max for Abraham.  40 will buy you some top top players when the window opens as loads will be selling, especially in Italy and France.

Yeah but how many of them will fail in the premier league, it's a huge risk compared to buying Abraham who while costing more is a known proven commodity. 

Yes not perfect but we know he fits us, has played with us and has played and scored many goals in the premier league and still only 23 years old. 

Fans spout out players from overseas leagues who have great stats but will that translate to a very different league in the Premier League.  Getting Tammy in for a bargain (for a striker in the modern market) is very sensible business and then we can focus to a broader international market for the creative players we need. 

Sometimes you have to pay higher premium for a lower risk when you are likely to be buying players at a higher risk elsewhere in the team. 

Plus I still think it might be hard to find a quality striker for much less than £40m even in a selling market and we cant afford for the player to take a season or so to settle.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Easier said than done. He's been quite outspoken on his mental health hasn't he? Bit more to it than someone sorting his head out. Maybe in this day and age he would have gotten the help he needed.

Yeah totally, but had he come through now I would think he'd be getting a lot more support than he did when he was a player.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah totally, but had he come through now I would think he'd be getting a lot more support than he did when he was a player.

At least we'll always have that goal against Atletico.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but how many of them will fail in the premier league, it's a huge risk compared to buying Abraham who while costing more is a known proven commodity. 

Yes not perfect but we know he fits us, has played with us and has played and scored many goals in the premier league and still only 23 years old. 

Fans spout out players from overseas leagues who have great stats but will that translate to a very different league in the Premier League.  Getting Tammy in for a bargain (for a striker in the modern market) is very sensible business and then we can focus to a broader international market for the creative players we need. 

Sometimes you have to pay higher premium for a lower risk when you are likely to be buying players at a higher risk elsewhere in the team. 

Plus I still think it might be hard to find a quality striker for much less than £40m even in a selling market and we cant afford for the player to take a season or so to settle.

If Abraham is worth 40m currently, why is he way down the pecking order regards England?  

Â