Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, useless said:

Not sure why McTominay is being talked about anyway, it's not as if we're going to sign him, he's getting in the Untied team and has just signed a long-contract with them.

I think he is being spoken about as an example of the kind of midfielders we should have in our team. We may as well talk about Rodri and Kante too. Not that McTomimay is on their level but he still featuring week in week out for the most successful club in Premier League history. It’s not so easy to go out and sign a McTominay. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

McTominay isn't even that combative, he doesn't even play as a DM, according to the official Premiel League website Fred and Fernando have both won more tackles than him, as has McGinn. If we want a strong midfielder that can get up and down the pitch and is also decent enough on the ball then maybe André-Frank Zambo Anguissa is someone we could look at should Fulham get relegated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

PS did you see the performance of Scott McTominay v West Ham?.....now that's a good CDM.

Did you see Rice and Soucek v Man Utd? Well off it. 

Players play badly sometimes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

It could work. You'd probably have Watkins and Grealish roaming quite a bit and pushing out to the wings to offer a little extra width if necessary - but they could do that. 

With Wesley, Traore and Grealish potentially out. Perhaps could work with Barkley as the 10, and AEG as the other CF. With the legs behind Barkley maybe he could be accommodated to shine as an attacking outlet. I thought Barkley provided some much needed attacking guile against Newcastle (in a similar formation).

People really have forgotten how shite Wesley was haha. Well the longer you're out the better you were I guess. The VT way.

Ignoring what ever you think of him, do anyone really think he's ready for football? I'd be amazed to see him play this season.

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

People really have forgotten how shite Wesley was haha. Well the longer you're out the better you were I guess. The VT way.

Ignoring what ever you think of him, do anyone really think he's ready for football? I'd be amazed to see him play this season.

Maybe it’s more people are curious to see how he plays with a partner up front and some players feeding the ball into him on a more regular basis. He was lumped up on his own before with all the focus and pressure on him alone. You could be right and he could simply be atrocious but it’s worth a punt to see what happens at least so that hopefully the millions we paid for him weren’t all wasted. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Dean, I like this image alot 👀

Screenshot_20210317-004939_2.jpg

i don't think there's many that wouldn't want to give that a shot at least. just a shame that there is zero chance of smith trying that system

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

i think he'll get minutes before end of the season. he's in full contact training with 11 games remaining. we have an international break coming up too.

but sadly i agree that we'll probably be reminded that he's not great. but he's an upgrade on davis at least.

16 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Maybe it’s more people are curious to see how he plays with a partner up front and some players feeding the ball into him on a more regular basis. He was lumped up on his own before with all the focus and pressure on him alone. You could be right and he could simply be atrocious but it’s worth a punt to see what happens at least so that hopefully the millions we paid for him weren’t all wasted. 🤷‍♂️

Why use this logic though ?

More productive to just post about how shit he is every now and then.

Ironically, the performances against the likes of Sheffield United, Wolves, and Newcastle, were the types of performances Wesley was involved in for most of that season.

23 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He wasn't shit but wasn't good either and he were doing his best in what was a very underwhelming Villa side last season. Can't expect much when the whole team had a massive job to do and the priority was to survive.

Wesley deserves the opportunity to at least show what he can do and somehow show he's got make fans he's worth keeping at Villa. If Smith can find a use for Wesley and Wesley can repay Smith's faith, maybe just maybe there is a future at Villa for him. It may certainly be beneficial having Watkins come on some games as a sub to Wesley so Watkins himself could recoup some of that crazy energy he spends each game. Part of me Wonders if Wesley could be used in a way that he goes out and completely strips players down physically and mentally by using his strength, all so that when Watkins would be introduced as a sub at half time he has a much easier game to score in. Or Visa versa where Watkins gives a team of defenders the run around so much that when a fit Wesley is brought on they just can't cope with his physicality.

The joys of having a brute forward and a stamina fit forward player at the club is that you can at least plan these things out. What do we have at the moment is half that with only Watkins and that teams can easy set up for one. Davis isn't much of a threat and opposition know that, Wesley and Watkins would make them think.

I do think Opposition would be cautious of Wesley, he scored some goals for us in what was a difficult time under some extreme circumstances before his injury. Who knows what Wesley would of been on in terms of goals, he may of reached double figures at least and if he can find that part of himself and evolve it, he could be a very dangerous player.

The only thing we needed to do is learn how to service, we need an attacking midfielder and two complete new Wingers. I'd send Barkley back to Chelsea, sell Ghazi and Trezegeut and buy three new players who are ace as hell at many different things in the field. Sure it would cost but we need so much to be able to service our strikers who are indeed strikers who find goals within right areas within the box under alot of pressure. Balls delivered to Wesley and Watkins shouldn't be hitting the first defender let alone flying passed them. Crossing should be fast, precise and deadly and we will never get that from Ghazi, Trezegeut or Barkley, summer should be to spend all we can securing the services of dangerous players who can find a needle in a universe.

We find those players who find Watkins and Wesley from distance or at close range, if we can get balls delivered to them and at a decent rate we can then see Watkins and Wesley both have a fair time at Villa with a fruitful season of goals. If we can find real servicemen and Wesley can't find the net and were giving him the delivery he needs then we sure would have to do what I believe we have to do with Davis, Ghazi and Trezegeut which is sell them so that the club can move forward and we can find much better players who can without a doubt do what we need them to do on the pitch and not just be good at a singular thing.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It looks great but we’d be murdered down the wings more than likely.

For that formation to work effectively IMO we would need to swop Luiz for McGinn and then have a DM or can drop back into the centre of defence. Targett & Cash would provide the width as well as Jack and Ollie. The DM would need to step back into defence to ensure we were not overloaded on the counter attack. 

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I seriously worry he'll get crocked again when coming back.

I dont see the urgency to have Wesley back this season. The season finishes month after next. Would be good for him to recover fully and then have him play in pre season, and assess where he is from there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i don't think there's many that wouldn't want to give that a shot at least. just a shame that there is zero chance of smith trying that system

I agree, I have been advocating a diamond (with KD, BT or Jack as second striker) and (Jack, Ross or BT at "10") for a while as it has a number of real benefits:

• to make us more solid with three hard working CM'ers.
  • Jack/Traore (as second striker/"10"/interchanging or as inside forwards with a free role) would have more freedom to roam and it would be harder for teams to set up with a plan to counter Jack as West Ham did with two right backs.   
  • creates space (and freedom with three CM'ers giving more cover) for Targett and Cash to get forward - and they are probably, other than Jack, our best crossers of the ball.  They could be a real weapon with, like Liverpool/Henderson, a midfielder dropping in to cover a raiding full back.
  • gets more bodies in the box.
  • means we don't have to start with Trez or AEG.

Rogers is having massive success with a diamond since he changed it half way through the Liverpool game, with first Maddison at 10 and Barnes and Vardy and now, due to injury, Perez at 10 and Vardy and Ineacho.

This has to be worth a try for us against Spurs - we can't play any worse than we have over the last 4 or 5 games (other than Leeds away).

I was very surprised when Smith went with it at the end of the Newcastle game and hoping this signals a willingness to try it!

Edited by barry'sboots

18 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Did you see Rice and Soucek v Man Utd? Well off it. 

Players play badly sometimes.

Not one of their better games, no, but they was up against top opposition.

but we seem to find them against Sheff Utd ,Newcastle & Brighton....bit of a difference, don't you think?

Â