Dean Smith

Demitri_C

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But it’s the same critical observation every single game we lose when he can’t do anything about it until the summer!

We need to take in to account, the nature of the defeats. I don't really think this season there are many games we have lost, where we can actually say we have been at our best, which is why it frustrates me at the points we have as good as give away. It was the same in the Championship and last season, lost games are generally games we look half arsed.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We need to take in to account, the nature of the defeats. I don't really think this season there are many games we have lost, where we can actually say we have been at our best, which is why it frustrates me at the points we have as good as give away. It was the same in the Championship and last season, lost games are generally games we look half arsed.

I think first half of the season the games we lost we played well and didn’t deserve to lose. I’m thinking West Ham, Brighton and Man U.  I also don’t think we deserved to lose to Sheffield United.   I don’t think we ever look half arsed. We just lack quality. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think first half of the season the games we lost we played well and didn’t deserve to lose. I’m thinking West Ham, Brighton and Man U.  I also don’t think we deserved to lose to Sheffield United.   I don’t think we ever look half arsed. We just lack quality. 

compared to last season its a big improvement, from top of my head only Liverpool and Spurs at VP and Spurs and Arsenal away were performances that we played well and lost. The rest were limp defeats from memory

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

compared to last season its a big improvement, from top of my head only Liverpool and Spurs at VP and Spurs and Arsenal away were performances that we played well and lost. The rest were limp defeats from memory

I mean, how many games have we played well and lost this season? Its just the first Southampton game, first West Ham game and second Burnley game.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I mean, how many games have we played well and lost this season? Its just the first Southampton game, first West Ham game and second Burnley game.

we were robbed vs Brighton, we should have drawn at United and considering the circumstances we played well City away. Thats 60 percent of our losses

Leeds, Sheffield United, West Ham home and Leicester were the only games we didnt deserve anything from

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

we were robbed vs Brighton, we should have drawn at United and considering the circumstances City away. Thats 60 percent of our losses

Leeds, Sheffield United, West Ham home and Leicester were the only games we didnt deserve anything from

And even Sheff Utd you could argue that we deserved something at least from the first half.

All in all there are games that we won that we didn't really deserve to and some we lost that we didn't deserve to. Pretty standard for a mid-table team.

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Man Utd is probably the best counter attacking team in Europe. Can perfectly understand why he did it.

Man Utd under OGS have traditionally struggled massively against low block teams.

Alternatively you can go gung ho like Leeds and concede 6

It's not black or white. It's not gung ho or park the bus. You can go away to these teams and give it a go. Like we did at Old Trafford. Without throwing everyone forward like Leeds. 

West ham barely laid a glove on Man Utd, it was a bit limp and pathetic. There would be uproar on here if we played in such a way. At not one point in the game did I think west ham would get anything from the game. I thought we were going to get something from the game at old Trafford.

Would much, much sooner play how we did and give it a go then put in a limp display and lose 1-0 when aiming for a 0-0. 

On the subject of recruitment, some good points made by all but I feel that if we made as many mistakes as other teams do last summer, we would be a championship team this season and probably a record low points tally. We had to build a squad, we had such little room for error.

West ham can afford to take a £20m loss in 18 months and still be doing well. Because their squad has been built and developed over many years. Ours hasn't, we are in the early stages. It's why, I think, Dean deserves some leeway and why I think we will continue to improve. 

It's also why we are so inconsistent in our performances of late, a lack of quality in depth goes hand in hand with it too. I'm loathed too criticise anyone in the coaching staff and it's because of the development in the last 2 years.

I get criticised for mentioning the last 2 years, but it has to be considered because of the unprecedented level of upheaval Smith and his staff have had to deal with. And yet we still sit in the top half of the premier league. For the first time in how long? 

If a number of posters want to continue to pick holes in Smith, go for it. I'm happy for him to keep proving you all wrong, it's fun to watch him do so! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

We need to take in to account, the nature of the defeats. I don't really think this season there are many games we have lost, where we can actually say we have been at our best, which is why it frustrates me at the points we have as good as give away.

But isnt this just the sign of a young, inexperienced and completely new squad, that lacks quality in depth... Inconsistency? Could we enjoy the development we've shown and trust that we will continue to develop based on what's happened in the last couple of years?

I've taken the final sentence away because I completely disagree that we are 'half arsed'... see paragraph above.

• Like 3

I've noticed with our recent performances how the pace of the game has slowed right down. Our passing and crossing is horribly sluggish. Even in the games before Jack got injured we were in decline. I'm sure Dean and coaches are working to rectify but it might just be something we have to struggle through for the remainder of the season. 

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m happy for us to discuss the issues and the weaknesses. I just think the comparisons to West Ham and Moyes are unfair.  If their recruitment was so bad how is it the starting lineup only contains 2 of Moyes signings which were both in the summer? (One wasn’t Souchek). They’ve had several Seasons to try and get it right. Smith has had 1 and a half.   

I am not comparing us with West Ham.....i was merely highlighting a few things they do well....i think its pro active to see what other clubs do well.

If i was comparing, i would pick out things they do not so well...but who wants to learn those things.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don't forget the Burnley atrocity.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

But it’s the same critical observation every single game we lose when he can’t do anything about it until the summer!

Well it will be the same critical observations,if we are still doing it. Do you want me to change my opinion, because, i have said it again, when we have done it again?.....if we keep giving the ball away cheaply, i will keep saying it in every game we do it, until we don't.....then i will say, kep't the ball well today.

What do you suggest? only commenting on games when we win or play well.

I don't create the performance, i only comment on it....what do you want me to say after we play poorly.....something that appeases you.

its like treading on egg shells not to upset poor lambs.

There is nothing negative calling a performance for what it is.....you say you do that, i can't remember, you saying it like it is...sorry.

9 hours ago, lexicon said:

No, it just means that criticism and expectations should be reasonable and take into account the context of the situation. Y'know, common sense. 

So you think giving the ball away cheaply, is an observation that is an unreasonable/ unworthy observation, due to us expecting too much.

That is  funny.

so what would you call a reasonable critical observation after the Sheff Utd or Newcastle games?...give us  an inclination in to your interpretation.

That may be so.....but if thats what the game throws up, thats what gets reported.

So why was we playing better, earlier in the season....thats a cop out.

I’m happy for us to discuss the issues and the weaknesses. I just think the comparisons to West Ham and Moyes are unfair.  If their recruitment was so bad how is it the starting lineup only contains 2 of Moyes signings which were both in the summer? (One wasn’t Souchek). They’ve had several Seasons to try and get it right. Smith has had 1 and a half.   

Pellegrini was sacked for a reason....if they had been playing well, he would still be there.....they have had a bit of disruption, like many clubs.

why are you defending Smith on how long he has been with us.....I think he is doing a fine job on the whole....but i don't like his team giving the ball away so often....is that so unreasonable, or should we keep shtum, as not to upset anyone.

Edited by TRO

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

So you think giving the ball away cheaply, is an observation that is an unreasonable/ unworthy observation, due to us expecting too much.

That is  funny.

so what would you call a reasonable critical observation after the Sheff Utd or Newcastle games?...give us  an inclination in to your interpretation.

No? That's not an unreasonable observation - where did you get that idea? 😕

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

No? That's not an unreasonable observation - where did you get that idea? 😕

Well, its one of the main critiques, i have and i have been accused of being unreasonable or labouring the point....when we keep doing it.

but you didn't answer my question....what is reasonable critique of the last 2 games?

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well it will be the same critical observations,if we are still doing it. Do you want me to change my opinion, because, i have said it again, when we have done it again?.....if we keep giving the ball away cheaply, i will keep saying it in every game we do it, until we don't.....then i will say, kep't the ball well today.

What do you suggest? only commenting on games when we win or play well.

I don't create the performance, i only comment on it....what do you want me to say after we play poorly.....something that appeases you.

its like treading on egg shells not to upset poor lambs.

There is nothing negative calling a performance for what it is.....you say you do that, i can't remember, you saying it like it is...sorry.

I was talking about you saying our midfielders are two similar and we need a different one. You’ve said it a few times and I’m just saying we heard you but there’s nothing Smith can do about that until the summer.

Anyway sorry if I’ve offended you. Good night. 👍🏼

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â