Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Smiths recebt record is relegation form. Very worrying.

Failing to score today ok you can half argue spurs are a decent side.

Bit failing to beat a woeful Newcastle last monute goal. Ok again can say bit unlucky. 

But failing to score against wolves burnley and Brighton.  Pathetic 

Then adding to that he loses against the worst team in the league who had ten men and fails to score again

Woeful and not good enough does not deservea new contract right now in my opinion. He haa been SHIT since grealiah got injured and has absolutely no idea what he is doing since then 

I keep hearing we need to build and we need to replace players in the summer. But guys, if that's the case, a Sean Dyche, Chris Wilder, Potter could coach Villa. Smith was brought in as a quality coach, not to bring in ready made players like a top 4 team. It just looks like systems are not working, we are playing exactly the same football every week and getting the same result,  nothing.  

• Like 3

We are not the finished article. We are the youngest side in the league. We are a few quality players away from decent squad depth.

Smith has done well, but we are now looking like the team that was struggling last year. Hopefully the international break will help us a bit

• Like 1

I think the impact of the head coach is over stated. OGS did feck all at Cardiff - but his much better with all the players at his disposal - just 1 example.  We have nothing in the final 3rd - We don't have a back up for Ollie. We have so many dud players (did someone say bomb squad ?)  Nkamba, Trez, Traroe, Barkley,  Early days but Sansom looks like salifou who gets a start. Most of those players should be on the fringes next season. Going forward the owners have been great so far - but you have to acknowledge that adding more £15m players on the whole won't progress us.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Smiths recebt record is relegation form. Very worrying.

Failing to score today ok you can half argue spurs are a decent side.

Bit failing to beat a woeful Newcastle last monute goal. Ok again can say bit unlucky. 

But failing to score against wolves burnley and Brighton.  Pathetic 

Then adding to that he loses against the worst team in the league who had ten men and fails to score again

Woeful and not good enough does not deservea new contract right now in my opinion. He haa been SHIT since grealiah got injured and has absolutely no idea what he is doing since then 

We scored twice against Burnley, the 0-0 was before Christmas when we were in great form

We just need the season to end and get some more players in for next year. 

Looking leggy and tired now. Squad depth not good enough, but its going to take years to get there. 

I'm still behind Dean Smith, 100%

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

We are on the beach with 10 games to go, its a natural instinct from footballers when nothing is on the line. I think some fans are scared and confused because we havent had a season like this in 15 years or so since we were always fighting to stay up, go up or for Europe

Season is over

They would probably **** that up too and book a holiday in iceland thinking there ia a beach there. 

No plan B. Midfield are all tidy 5ft 8 players. All we do is hoof it down the line for Watkins to chase. I appreciate the need for realism and I am pleased with where we are especially considering recent years. However, we are worryingly impotent going forwards. We were for a few games with Jack as well. Jury out on a few players still for me. 

• Like 2

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I keep hearing we need to build and we need to replace players in the summer. But guys, if that's the case, a Sean Dyche, Chris Wilder, Potter could coach Villa. Smith was brought in as a quality coach, not to bring in ready made players like a top 4 team. It just looks like systems are not working, we are playing exactly the same football every week and getting the same result,  nothing.  

So....hasn't he done that? And how do you think teams break the top 4? By never buying players. Guess Pep and Klopp didn't have to buy anyone. Liverpool and Man City should have just let Wilder and Lambert get the jobs. 

Smith has progressed the team every season he's been here. So he gets to continue to build the team. 

• Like 1

It's not his fault his players gifted spurs 2 goals. 

It is his fault that we are absolutely clueless as to what to do with the ball. Isolate watkins up top and hope a long ball gets through. Play it out wide to target and hope a cross finds Watkins' head, somewhere in between 4 tottenham players. 

This is failing week in-week out and we are persisting with it. 1 win in 7, 3 goals scored and one of them was an own goal.

The plan can't possible be "wait for Jack so that we can rely on him". 

Sort it out Deano. 

Edited by WooJung
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They would probably **** that up too and book a holiday in iceland thinking there ia a beach there. 

pretty sure Iceland has beaches ;) 

Edited by Zatman

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Absolutely this. And I'm confident our owners view it the same. 

Purslow and Smith said we need to stay in the league for 3 years to build a competitive squad with FFP. 

I get this and agree that another couple of windows and we should have a great squad BUT Smith's lack of tactical flexibility and inability to find a way to play when things are not going well is alarming.

He is a million miles away from, say, Rodgers.  Losing to Liverpool - tweaks to a 4-4(diamond)-2 and turns it around.  He is able to flex his tactics/formation to the players he has.

There is no way that we should have started a game with Trez on the pitch tonight - he has stunk the pitch out with every appearance he has made over the last 3 months or so!  If Smith can't see this I am not sure what he is watching?

We are a shocking team currently.

Over our last 14 games (half the season) we have averaged 1.07 points per game, over a season that 40 points!, basically relegation dogfight form.

We are very lucky we had that amazing initial 14 games, because the last 14 games have been basically exactly like last seasons form (but marginally not as terribly bad!).

at this rate the initial hope will slip to a top 15 finish if we carry on.

We need some big money spending on GOOD players in the summer.

The only players for me who should be in our first 11 next season are Martinez, Targett, Mings, Cash, Sanson (maybe), Grealish and Watkins, so really we need 4 big money signings imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We are on the beach with 10 games to go, its a natural instinct from footballers when nothing is on the line. I think some fans are scared and confused because we havent had a season like this in 15 years or so since we were always fighting to stay up, go up or for Europe

Season is over

I dont feel we're on the beach at all. Our main focus/outlet/tactic is unavailable, and the players and manager look lost without him.

If Grealish had been fit for Sheff U, Wolves and Newcastle we would likely have had 6 or 7 points. Not 2. Possibly something from Leicester and Tottenham too.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

It is not the system for me it's p*** poor quality of play by various players. Poor decision making and execution of pass etc. Very odd as for the first 10 games or so they were much better. That for me says it's more about mental focus than anything else. Better quality of players is needed in my mind to work this system.

Just now, MaVilla said:

We are a shocking team currently.

Over our last 14 games (half the season) we have averaged 1.07 points per game, over a season that 40 points!, basically relegation dogfight form.

We are very lucky we had that amazing initial 14 games, because the last 14 games have been basically exactly like last seasons form (but marginally not as terribly bad!).

at this rate the initial hope will slip to a top 15 finish if we carry on.

We need some big money spending on GOOD players in the summer.

The only players for me who should be in our first 11 next season are Martinez, Targett, Mings, Cash, Sanson (maybe), Grealish and Watkins, so really we need 4 big money signings imo.

I've read this a few times. What was lucky about it? 

Still love Smith. I want to see him switch things up more though. if you plan isnt working then have a plan b and implement it early. He should think long and hard about the management lesson he got today from Jose Mourinho. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

Â