Dean Smith

Demitri_C

for obvious reasons above wolves and leeds and i'll be happy, that'll put us around 10th or 11th

as for arsenal @Indigo is spot on, we scored early and then challenged arsenal to something, they didnt because our defense was better than their attack, for all their possession and territory and other stats etc we looked more dangerous on the counter than they did, it was a tactic, its not one that the nervous fans want to see but it was still by design and it worked 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

In the big picture 12th would obviously be a great season for us. We almost got relegated last season ffs. 

But considering how excellent we've been this season and how unpredictable the season has been. How we are 8th in the table with 2 matches behind and could potentially end up 4th. I think we would lack ambition saying we wouldn't be hoping to finish top 8 when 22 of 38 matches has been played. We've quite obviously changed our goals mid season, and rightly so. 

Now it's just a matter of avoiding more injuries, suspensions, fatigue and find motivation and energy levels to finish the season how we started. 

Agreed. I really hope we can finish as high as possible and I know the manager and the players will think the same. 

It's great to be in a position where we can hope for that and really still be pleased with how things are going to probably turn out even if our form really drops.

If deano can get us to 20 wins for the season he should be given the keys to the city and some toilet roll for the bogs at small heath. I predicted 15 wins for the season and we're very close to that target. 

Cracking season.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 3

He's a cool customer that won't panic. Even when most but a very select few thought we were certain to go down last season, he was stating that he thought we would stay up, and there wasn't any doubt to be detected, most managers would be saying something like it will be difficult but we'll try and our best until we're mathematically safe.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Dear Deano 

Barkley must be dropped for the Leicester game NOT because he's playing poorly (form is temporary but class is permanent). He should be dropped because he's lazy and subsequently having a major affect on the 'team' performance and probably morale. 

Laziness has nothing to do with how much training you've done or on how your recent injury is affecting you!! 

Laziness is a  CHOICE and  it's the CHOICE that Barkley makes. 

Barkleys good form will probably return if he stops being lazy. People who give 100% in life are usually rewarded and footballers are no  different!! 

In my opinion of course

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

10 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

In the big picture 12th would obviously be a great season for us. We almost got relegated last season ffs. 

But considering how excellent we've been this season and how unpredictable the season has been. How we are 8th in the table with 2 matches behind and could potentially end up 4th. I think we would lack ambition saying we wouldn't be hoping to finish top 8 when 22 of 38 matches has been played. We've quite obviously changed our goals mid season, and rightly so. 

Now it's just a matter of avoiding more injuries, suspensions, fatigue and find motivation and energy levels to finish the season how we started. 

I think given our level of investment especially stacked up against how little investment others have made then 12th is the bare minimum we need to achieve. Add in the fact that we have Jack who is arguably one of the top players in his position in the league we really need to achieve top 10. Overlay that with our start to the season, anything outside top 8 will probably feel like a failure.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I won't judge Smith on the performance against Brighton, I'll judge him on how we bounce back with a full weeks training under our belt.

We did have a full weeks training ahead of the Brighton game..... They had a midweek cup tie against Leicester.

35 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I won't judge Smith on the performance against Brighton, I'll judge him on how we bounce back with a full weeks training under our belt.

on top of the full week's training we had before the Brighton game?

But yes I think he will stick a rocket up some arses and get us back playing with confidence, but i predict the only change will be Elmo for Cash.

34 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

We did have a full weeks training ahead of the Brighton game..... They had a midweek cup tie against Leicester.

Quite interesting they rotated six players for that game and only lost to a last second goal.

Looking forward to our squad in a couple of years and having some strength in depth.

3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

on top of the full week's training we had before the Brighton game?

But yes I think he will stick a rocket up some arses and get us back playing with confidence, but i predict the only change will be Elmo for Cash.

I'll judge his reaction to the Brighton game, not the game itself and the preparation. We all have off days and the Brighton game was certainly an off day.

Smith mentioned again that last week was the first week of training for over a month. I think to get 3 wins and a draw after the covid outbreak is a decent return. At the time I really expected the worse for the first month or so back.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

On 15/02/2021 at 07:57, villa4europe said:

for obvious reasons above wolves and leeds and i'll be happy, that'll put us around 10th or 11th

as for arsenal @Indigo is spot on, we scored early and then challenged arsenal to something, they didnt because our defense was better than their attack, for all their possession and territory and other stats etc we looked more dangerous on the counter than they did, it was a tactic, its not one that the nervous fans want to see but it was still by design and it worked 

Its all about results....its like maths you get the answer right and the working out in the margin, is just the process or the justifiction.

If we had of conceded 2 lates goals the same process, wouldn't have worked....there is a fair bit of luck in football, fine margins of it.

I think we just need to look at each game and see where it lands us at the end of the season.

Â