Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The key word was next, not last! We were also very lucky to get a win it that game. Arsenal bossed it from minute three until the end.

We beat Newcastle in about third gear about three weeks ago and will be playing them again and Sheffield United in next three weeks so I doubt we'll be scrambling around even to claim a point as that would suggest something's gone badly wrong.

Sheffield United are scrapping but they've still lost 20 out of 25 games this season so simply no excuse not to win that.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That's rubbish. We absolutely deserved that win. 

It wasn't pretty.

We defended deep and set up just to counter.

It's a negative set up and not the way i want the Villa to play.

Edited by villalad21

"We're eighth in the league and have games in hand over those immediately above us and below us in the table, those aren't the indications of a team that needs to make sweeping changes to the line up. At most I think we'll see one of Sanson or Ramsey come in. We beat Arsenal just a few games ago, they were the league's form team beside Man City at that point. You don't get to be eighth in the league at this stage of the seaon if you were only good earlier in the season, there has to have been a certain level of consitency to maintain that position, especially when you haven't played as many games as all the other teams."

He fears substitutions, fear to give chances. Takes too long to change an opinion on a player. As much as he’s improving and as much as I like him, it’s getting more frustrating game after game. 
Watching Barkley in the line up as having 10 on pitch, watching Trez coming as we’re 9. Leaving Ramsey, Sanson too late and not playing Davis is costing us games for nothing.

17 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

He fears substitutions, fear to give chances. Takes too long to change an opinion on a player. As much as he’s improving and as much as I like him, it’s getting more frustrating game after game. 
Watching Barkley in the line up as having 10 on pitch, watching Trez coming as we’re 9. Leaving Ramsey, Sanson too late and not playing Davis is costing us games for nothing.

And yet here we are in 8th position. Remarkable 

• Like 3

Just now, DCJonah said:

Yep. Sack Dean Smith for not being perfect and apparently having a different opinion to keyboard warriors who know **** all about the game.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It wasn't pretty.

We defended deep and set up just to counter.

It's a negative set up and not the way i want the Villa to play.

What did you make of west ham's win earlier?

Like so much on the internet, being a football supporter is now so polarised that it’s impossible to have a constructive discussion. In reality the sky is not falling in as some would believe, but if we are being honest about our recent performances, there are warning signs that we need to learn from and address if we want to consolidate our league position. 

For me, constructive criticism is vital to success, but that includes taking positives where they exist, as well as learning from mistakes. 

A positive is our resilience, and ability to fairly consistently get points from disappointing performances. 

We DO need to ask why those performances are being turned out, though, and I think we have covered most of them during the match thread, albeit quite angrily.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Fair enough, but that doesn’t say there are no mistakes, I’ve never asked for sacking Smith even at his worst period as he’s learning. But when I think something is wrong I’ll say it.

On 15/02/2021 at 15:45, Villa 59 said:

Dear Deano 

Barkley must be dropped for the Leicester game NOT because he's playing poorly (form is temporary but class is permanent). He should be dropped because he's lazy and subsequently having a major affect on the 'team' performance and probably morale. 

Laziness has nothing to do with how much training you've done or on how your recent injury is affecting you!! 

Laziness is a  CHOICE and  it's the CHOICE that Barkley makes. 

Barkleys good form will probably return if he stops being lazy. People who give 100% in life are usually rewarded and footballers are no  different!! 

In my opinion of course

This again except for 'delete' Leicester 'insert' Leeds

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Not doing too bad though is he? 8th in the Premier league from mid table championship in just a couple of years.  Even relegation favourites a year ago to being talked about for European places this year so he’s obviously learning quickly.

Why on earth is he talking about launching an investigation into why there were rumours of Jack's injury coming out of Bodymoor.

So what? It's not like some terrible personal circumstances re the private life of a Villa employee have been divulged. It's an injury we literally found out about before a ball was even kicked today due to the team lineup, and it didn't affect the outcome in the least given that Rodgers still fielded two fullbacks.

What a waste of time. How about an inquest into why our midfield is non-existent, why we keep persisting with underperforming players, why professional manchild Ross Barkley hasn't been benched yet for his petulance if not his poor performances and total lack of effort on the pitch?

Talk about deflection.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, est1874 said:

Why on earth is he talking about launching an investigation into why there were rumours of Jack's injury coming out of Bodymoor.

So what? It's not like some terrible personal circumstances re the private life of a Villa employee have been divulged. It's an injury we literally found out about before a ball was even kicked today due to the team lineup, and it didn't affect the outcome in the least given that Rodgers still fielded two fullbacks.

What a waste of time. How about an inquest into why our midfield is non-existent, why we keep persisting with underperforming players, why professional manchild Ross Barkley hasn't been benched yet for his petulance if not his poor performances and total lack of effort on the pitch?

Talk about deflection.

Because you fix it when small stuff leaks out so the big stuff doesn’t leak out when that does happen...pretty standard way of doing things in most circumstances.

• Like 1

If he doesn't drop Barkley, I'll be concerned. We aren't winning the league or getting relegated. Europe is unlikely. Now is the time to give more minutes to Sanson, Ramsey and Nakamba. Give Heaton a start. Experiment with formations and tactics and player combinations. Ramsey looks like a very useful player. Sanson looks lively. We need players out there who have the motivation to excel.

Â