Dean Smith

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Why wouldn't anyone be content with finishing 12th? An improvement on last season and another solid place to build on. 

There was an opportunity but that requires a consistency that is going to be hard for squads like ours to put together. If teams like Everton and Spurs can't do it, why should we expect it? 

The Brighton game was awful but perspective about the whole season means you understand these performances can and probably will happen. 

I doubt there is a fanbase in the league who haven't seen 3 or 4 games that they'd class as unacceptable this season.

As I said I would be content with it when the season is over, but we should not be content with it now with 16 games still to play and us in a great position to do better.

Fully understandable if our squad is not good enough to mount a serious challenge for Europe but it's not impossible. Which is kinda fantastic considering where we were this time last season, or the season before that.

• Like 1

Since the Burnley half time we have been poor. To pick up 7 points from 12 available is a great return considering how bad they've been. 

A lot people wont admit to it while the points are coming in but you'd think Smith is acutely aware of it. Its like we can't physically earn the right to play. Brighton and West Ham in particular absolutely bullied us, it was like men against boys but it was the same story against Southampton and Arsenal  in the games we won. We are just relying on Ollies' work rate forcing an error high up the pitch or Jack getting it on the break at the moment.  Worrying that Leicester and Leeds coming up are all about getting in your faces. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Sorry...have to totally disagree 

The defence and midfield defensive two have been poor. Brighton broke our defense all game.

If it wasn't for Martinez that could have been 4 nil.

A defensive unit of a back four and two in midfield does not allow over 20 shots a game...which has been the norm lately.

Throwing in front of shots is commendable....but all game...every game.

We have defenders on the 6 yard line....midfielders in the box....its not good defending. Allowing wave after wave..its resilient at best.

Comes to something when the MOM is the keeper week in week out.

We have played burnley, Brighton...yes..bit of form...Southampton...arsenal...all round us...with the exception of West ham who are a good team...we have been and allowed them batter us.

Better teams will score when we allow 20 shots...its not sustainable 

I don’t think that the main problem yesterday was the actual defending. The problem was the constant giving away of the ball all over the pitch. I lost count how many times a player made a good tackle or interception only to give the ball straight back to Brighton. Even Jack gave the ball away with alarming regularity by his standards. 

We made lots of defensive blocks and tackles and Emi was our MOTM by a mile. But we only had to make so many defensive interventions because our basic passing and ball retention was Sunday football standard. 

Edited by DaveAV1

1 minute ago, sne said:

As I said I would be content with it when the season is over, but we should not be content with it now with 16 games still to play and us in a great position to do better.

Fully understandable if our squad is not good enough to mount a serious challenge for Europe but it's not impossible. Which is kinda fantastic considering where we were this time last season, or the season before that.

I think everyone wants us to finish as high as possible. For me, I said it last week, the rest of this season is a bonus because of the start we made. We aren't going down and we probably won't get Europe. 

Games like yesterday aren't killing us like they were last season. If we finish 8th or 12th I don't think it has a major impact on us. 

• Like 1

Finishing 12th will mean the season will fizzle out after such a great first half. That would be disappointing for the short term but not when looking at the overall bigger picture.

However still a lot of games to go and we’ve seen how we can play.

The last 4 and a half games does not represent us as a team (even though we still got 7 points).  I’d rather look at the previous 15 odd games where we played very well. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Since the Burnley half time we have been poor. To pick up 7 points from 12 available is a great return considering how bad they've been. 

A lot people wont admit to it while the points are coming in but you'd think Smith is acutely aware of it. Its like we can't physically earn the right to play. Brighton and West Ham in particular absolutely bullied us, it was like men against boys but it was the same story against Southampton and Arsenal  in the games we won. We are just relying on Ollies' work rate forcing an error high up the pitch or Jack getting it on the break at the moment.  Worrying that Leicester and Leeds coming up are all about getting in your faces. 

I agree with this. Whilst in general this season we have earned the right to play, recently our midfield has been powder puff. As you say Dean and the coaches will be acutely aware of this. They’ve got a week to do something about it because you also rightly point out the next two games will be pretty unforgiving if they don’t. 

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

The lack of reaction in the second half was also a worry. We didn't improve much. 

Got a bit better once Barkley finally was replaced. That gives me hope.

Emi Martinez said in his post match interview "we're disappointed that we didn't close the gap much to the top 6". Despite people's expectations here that interview alone tells me Dean Smith and the squad have differing views from us.

I just want us to keep improving in preparation for next season. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The decision to keep playing Ross Barkley is somewhat detracting from a good season and how well Smith is doing. 

He needs to address the problem in central midfield if we are to have any hope of challenging for Europe. 

The solution for me is Naka, Sanson, Jack as a 10, Ghazi on the left and Berty on the right with Ollie in the middle

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Emi Martinez said in his post match interview "we're disappointed that we didn't close the gap much to the top 6". Despite people's expectations here that interview alone tells me Dean Smith and the squad have differing views from us.

I just want us to keep improving in preparation for next season. 

Difference is, the squad will aim for that. There's no reason we can't aim for that. The players won't use it as a tool to criticise the manager if we don't achieve that. And that's where the issue is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Difference is, the squad will aim for that. There's no reason we can't aim for that. The players won't use it as a tool to criticise the manager if we don't achieve that. And that's where the issue is.

I'm happy with top 10 hence why I don't look for things to beat Dean Smith with when we lose or draw. We've out played the opposition on at least 15 occasions this season. 

We're just imo having a confidence issue and the face we've got the youngest squad means we'll be inconsistent. 

21 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I'm happy with top 10 hence why I don't look for things to beat Dean Smith with when we lose or draw. We've out played the opposition on at least 15 occasions this season. 

We're just imo having a confidence issue and the face we've got the youngest squad means we'll be inconsistent

Exactly. Plus, we will only get better. I think we will continue to buy young and develop. We may have a few years of inconsistency as we develop but we are heading in the right direction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

The decision to keep playing Ross Barkley is somewhat detracting from a good season and how well Smith is doing. 

He needs to address the problem in central midfield if we are to have any hope of challenging for Europe. 

I agree with this. If we are going to play a 10 then we need 2 defensive midfielder players one of which must never be McGinn. Therefore it has to be 2 of Marvelous, Luiz and Sanson. Barkley is better used as an impact sub and therefore Bert, Jack, Sanson or McGinn must play 10. Finally I think Trez has to play. He is the most physical of our midfield players and he is a real nuisance. We need to be much better without the ball.

We need to freshen up. Teams have sussed how we play and aren’t allowing us to, and as has been said above, we are being bullied in games. It’s a measure of how far we’ve come this season that we’ve still managed to grind out some excellent results during our current “poor” run despite all that.

I still feel incredibly upbeat about the progress Dean Smith and the team have made this season. But we do need to implement a Plan B.

Time to give Nakamaba and Sanson a chance.

Edited by The Moustache of Teale
Sanson, not Kenny Sansom
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

We need to freshen up. Teams have sussed how we play and aren’t allowing us to, and as has been said above, we are being bullied in games. It’s a measure of how far we’ve come this season that we’ve still managed to grind out some excellent results during our current “poor” run despite all that.

I still feel incredibly upbeat about the progress Dean Smith and the team have made this season. But we do need to implement a Plan B.

Time to give Nakamaba and Sanson a chance.

I think this 'teams have sussed how we play' can apply across all sides at some point. Look at Southampton. Look at Liverpool of recent weeks. Look at wolves this season. Sheffield United? Eventually, teams will figure Brighton out and they will start conceding again. 

The challenge, and it's a challenge I said about wilder earlier this season which he hasn't passed really, is to find a new way of doing something to work. It's something for Dean to ponder, he's done it more than once in his tenure, I trust him to do it again.

• Like 1

Â