Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

OK, so being 8th in the premier league means it’s not allowable to discuss areas where we might improve?

Good job the Internet wasn’t around in Ron Saunders’ time or we would have settled for 8th in 1981 rather than pushing to do better.

Who said that?

My response was to someone who decided to list multiple flaws of our manager and claim he's costing us games. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

OK, so being 8th in the premier league means it’s not allowable to discuss areas where we might improve?

Good job the Internet wasn’t around in Ron Saunders’ time or we would have settled for 8th in 1981 rather than pushing to do better.

Yeah I agree but reading the quote I was replying to we were in a really bad position and the club had big problems if you never knew what reality was.

So why you are being a little cute with your response it takes out of context compared to what I was replying to.

We can always improve, always discuss but understanding where we are now, where we’ve come from and the positivity around the club of where we are going and continual improvement, I was replying to a very downbeat comment about Dean which was too biased against him.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Haha why? We're 8th and you want the journalists to start hounding him over his team selection?

We don't deserve nice things. 

Well I am.puzzled by why he continues to be picked while in such poor form. Today wasn't a game for a half fit, half arsed Barkley when he could.have changed it.

All this overly-defensive "I suppose we aren't allowed to criticise or have an opinion" stuff is weird also. Of course as much as perspective and understanding that the bigger picture is a positive one is important we also have scope to improve and pointing that out is fair, but some of you are acting like shite like "muppet", "clueless" and *gasps* "clueless muppet" isn't getting labelled at Smith and that any defense of him is done blindly without any willingness to accept constructive critiques on how we're playing.

It's like when Mings was persona non grata and the usual lot were acting like people disagreeing with them labelling him a "donkey" was a violation of their freedom of speech.😂

• Like 1

When we won the league in 1981 we had finished seventh the season before and had finished in the top eight six seasons in a row. A bit different to a team that barely survived last season, and spent three years previous to that in the second division. Of course we're going to have different expectations now to what we had then.

Edited by useless

34 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Good job Brucie got the sack though hey. Wouldn't want that moron back at the club now would we.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Good job Brucie got the sack though hey. Wouldn't want that moron back at the club now would we.

Wow, I don’t know if it’s fascinating or dispiriting to see that some people are still going back to Steve Bruce.

It is quite a while now since he was manager and I would say anything concerning him is totally irrelevant to where we are today. And yet there is still a twitch from time to time...

😂

[BTW I believe there is a thread for him in Other Football for those of the true faIth,]

I think the three week covid shutdown has really affected us, not just from the point of view regards energy and fitness levels but it's wrecked our momentum. This has happened every time we've had a big victory this season. Liverpool, Leicester games all were followed up with international breaks. We simply aren't able to get any momentum. It looks to me that this disruption of momentum added with what is looking more and more that covid has affected the players more than is being publicly admitted. Barkley for example is blowing out his arse after about half hour. The high tempo energy levels have gone from the team totally. I think we're really underestimating how much the three weeks covid has knocked the stuffing out of us.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I think the three week covid shutdown has really affected us, not just from the point of view regards energy and fitness levels but it's wrecked our momentum. This has happened every time we've had a big victory this season. Liverpool, Leicester games all were followed up with international breaks. We simply aren't able to get any momentum. It looks to me that this disruption of momentum added with what is looking more and more that covid has affected the players more than is being publicly admitted. Barkley for example is blowing out his arse after about half hour. The high tempo energy levels have gone from the team totally. I think we're really underestimating how much the three weeks covid has knocked the stuffing out of us.

I think most would agree, but the manager doesn't seem to, he genuinely prefers his players to get fitness and sharpness on the pitch. But without devalueing where we have come from and Dean's crucial role in turning the club around, pretending that the current 11 is good enough, fit and sharp enough to get the results to get us out of our current poor/stop start form is just not realistic.

Ignoring the Brighton game like it didn't happen is strange also.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

I think most would agree, but the manager doesn't seem to, he genuinely prefers his players to get fitness and sharpness on the pitch. But without devalueing where we have come from and Dean's crucial role in turning the club around, pretending that the current 11 is good enough, fit and sharp enough to get the results to get us out of our current poor/stop start form is just not realistic.

Ignoring the Brighton game like it didn't happen is strange also.

Not disagreeing with you, in fact it's why he should be freshening things up and I can't for the life of me think why he hasn't, especially the in-game management regards subs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Wow, I don’t know if it’s fascinating or dispiriting to see that some people are still going back to Steve Bruce.

It is quite a while now since he was manager and I would say anything concerning him is totally irrelevant to where we are today. And yet there is still a twitch from time to time...

😂

[BTW I believe there is a thread for him in Other Football for those of the true faIth,]

Great to see how far we've come from those dark days.

Those who ate up his BS and supported him over Aston Villa are always the loudest and quickest to go after Smith of course. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Those who ate up his BS and supported him over Aston Villa are always the loudest and quickest to go after Smith of course. 

its just a funny coincidence ;) 

48 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It’s a free country of course, with free speech, but I still feel it would be neater if comments about Steve Bruce went in the, err, Steve Bruce thread so this one could focus on Dean Smith

• Like 1

Smith is doing a fantastic job but I have a horrible feeling we’re about the embark on a terrible run of results and there will be a lot of people pointing to his performance as manager without Grealish in the team which to be fair is...patchy. 

If you offered me our league position now and ended the season I’d bite your hand off. Think it’s highly likely we’ll finish between 12th-15th. 

The mix in the midfield isn't right at the moment. Barkley is a huge part of that, but McGinn has been poor as well and ultimately it just leads to us being overrun. I know we're not a huge possession team but we need to be better at possessing the ball against teams that press us hard. If that means a different midfield 3, Deano needs to be able to identify that.

I do wonder whether a midfield change would have occurred prior to the Leicester game if Grealish wasn't out. Maybe Smith didn't want to change too much up given we were already losing such a key player. As it happened, it didn't matter anyway because we still took 25 minutes to get settled and conceded twice in that time.

5 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

He needs to be brave and drop barkley, mcginn and luiz when they play poorly.

Ramsey, Sanson and Nakamba should be given more opportunities. Its the only area of the pitch where we have decent backup options. Time to use them.

I think even shifting one of those out would change the dynamic.

For example, taking Ross out, putting Nakamba at the base, and going Luiz and McGinn in front of him.

I think until we find our flowing form again, we should aim for solidity and balance.

Once we stop being overrun, our attackers will be able to attack, as we know they can.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think even shifting one of those out would change the dynamic.

For example, taking Ross out, putting Nakamba at the base, and going Luiz and McGinn in front of him.

I think until we find our flowing form again, we should aim for solidity and balance.

Once we stop being overrun, our attackers will be able to attack, as we know they can.

As Dean often says you have to earn the right to play... With lethargy and a man down in midfield we aren't getting that. A more energetic player in place of Barkley would go a long way towards. 

• Like 1

Â