Dean Smith

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Can we please calm down with the long posts? My attention span can’t cope

Sorry we could all now make them much longer just for you sparrow, we will help you out and make them a full page long, would that be ok for you or should we go two page long?

Or would you prefer comic book style with the odd ( Blam, Whack,Woosh, Bish, Bosh ) thrown in with some pictures or a flicker book 😋.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Sorry we could all now make them much longer just for you sparrow, we will help you out and make them a full page long, would that be ok for you or should we go two page long?

Or would you prefer comic book style with the odd ( Blam, Whack,Woosh, Bish, Bosh ) thrown in with some pictures or a flicker book 😋.

The latter. Please and thank you. 

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure I understand this post.

You want to sign players from Madrid, Juve, Milan and Barca?

Milan maybe realistic as they've been off it for the last few years, the rest no chance.

Why do you think we can get these players?

Ah, maybe you mean backups like Origi? Oh...no, you don't want him either?

You want to sign starting players from Champions League teams? Obviously they would improve us, but how do you think that's going to happen?

Watkins and Rashica would be brilliant signings for where we are. Don't fancy Origi myself. Benrahma would probably succeed here and would definitely improve us right now.

Funny....i understand perfectly what he is saying.....i don't think he is talking about first teamers from those clubs, but even their fringe players are a level above ours, they are being kept out by world class talent.....its always possible to pick up an unwanted player, for various reasons, not enough game time, personality clashes etc.

its a perfectly sound opinion in my view.

it wasn't so long ago we captured John Carew who was flirting with Europes elite.

I understand your point too, but if we don't try, we will always set the bar too low....we have to start thinking away from the championship, for our new recruits, unless of course they are outstanding, like Grealish himself.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Funny....i understand perfectly what he is saying.....i don't think he is talking about first teamers from those clubs, but even their fringe players are a level above ours, they are being kept out by world class talent.....its always possible to pick up an unwanted player, for various reasons, not enough game time, personality clashes etc.

its a perfectly sound opinion in my view.

it wasn't so long ago we captured John Carew who was flirting with Europes elite.

I understand your point too, but if we don't try, we will always set the bar too low....we have to start thinking away from the championship, for our new recruits, unless of course they are outstanding, like Grealish himself.

You won't find me grumbling if we can sign starting players from Real Madrid. I can't see it myself.

The poster also said he didn't want fringe players like Origi so I think the idea is unrealistic. When we signed Carew, he was well on the fringes.

Would I want a player who has scored international and Champions League goals like Sturridge over an untested player I rate like Watkins? No chance.

As long as we don't buy bad footballers we should be OK next year. It would also be nice to not overspend.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I wouldnt say I know it TRO to be fair, far more knowledgeable people about on VT at football than me that includes you  I just like to think I pay attention here and there and look at many possibilities or outcomes.

I think without a doubt we would be making a massive mistake if we signed championship level players, isnt that part of the reason why we had to get a whole new team besides the other of they were nearing end of contract. Sure Watkins and Benrahma have set the championship on fire and who know they may surely set the premier on fire. But for a combo of what 40 to 50 mill that is a massive risk. If were going to be in a league that is the top in the world and compete, then you take your signings from that top league or the next best, that certainly isnt the championship. Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A and more come after premier, some say those three are on par in some ways with the premier. We would be making a huge mistake n half by not signing from them. People always say each season that the top clubs are top because other clubs are held back because of the way the rules are set up for the premier league including the addition of VAR. They are also on top because of where they take there signings from and we should take special note from that. While the rest are signing championship level players, players from premiere league clubs who are selling lastvseason or seasons before players for good reason, those top clubs are buying the best out there.

The top clubs are making money off everyone else in the league by selling there signings who dont make the team, they know theres little chance or they wont ever be as good as what they got them playing at, I spose that's the data they have. We have to make sure we dont fall into the trap of buying benchers, injury prone or once was players anymore, not to mention players who are a fair level under the league we are in. Again not saying Watkins and Benrahma are not able to make the premier, after all some players from there should be able to make it to premier football but its bloody tough to transition. 

As you said TRO some week back that we should be looking at all directions of the transfer market and I hope your right and we are. I would very much like us to sign players who do not give room to manuvre, that shut you down all game long, who will make players sweat before 10 mins has gone by and I believe the top clubs in europe play like this that includes the top of premier. Football is ever changing and the game isnt so much sit back anymore, attacking football seems to be the bees knees and the pool, city, utd and chelsea certainly have players that dont give you any room to breath. I'll say again Luiz came from city, he has obviously learnt to do exactly what I'm trying to explain and we are fortunate to of got him and we should aim to be buying more players that play like that and intercept like crazy. Sure thats Luiz position and his job as CDM, but you look abroad and most players on the field are all game long running at one and other to accomplish one goal, which is to obtain the ball back. Our English leagues our players back off and back off and give to much space to players who drive the ball forward, but what about players who want the ball back off opposition?? You see it all to much where we ourselves have been shouting for our players to get in there and put pressure on opposition because without that constant pressure less and less mistakes are made. Dont let opposition breath, dont give room, dont give up chasing opposition, it causes mistakes and tires opposition out.  However you buy english players to accomplish that and it takes an awful long time to train them up once you've signed them, the top German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch league however train for that in most there teams, they are ball winners, stamina freaks, with pace and fast turn speed players by nature and trade.

You see the game, much like me Dave.....many seem obsessed with play makers, which is fine by the way......but who is going to give them the ball?....who is going to stop the opposition, do they look at that? Or more importantly appreciate it.

I am hoping Dougie, does turn out to be the CDM, I crave.....judging him post lockdown, he could well be....but away from home against the top teams, we may need 2 of him....in a 4-2-3-1.....We need Nakamba to improve and emulate Dougie.

I have the same concerns as you buying in the championship.....those players in the Premier League, get after you, very quickly......probably one of the reasons why Man U wanted to see Grealish in the Prem to see how he coped....admirably IMO, Jack has shown he can mix it with the best.....some of our others have a bit of proving to do......those outstanding players in the championship need to show they can step up and perform as they do in the championship ,as you say £50 mill for 2 players who have failed to make that big league, is quite a gamble for me.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

You won't find me grumbling if we can sign starting players from Real Madrid. I can't see it myself.

The poster also said he didn't want fringe players like Origi so I think the idea is unrealistic. When we signed Carew, he was well on the fringes.

Would I want a player who has scored international and Champions League goals like Sturridge over an untested player I rate like Watkins? No chance.

As long as we don't buy bad footballers we should be OK next year. It would also be nice to not overspend.

Your last line, I share your concern.

Its all a gamble, no matter which way we go.....I guess ideally, we are waiting for our academy talent to mature and hopefully help out.

but i think the most significant point of all is, and Dave has highlighted it well......its all well and good looking at fine talent in lower leagues, but  those defenders in lower leagues are inferior too, and tend to let you play......those fancy players step up, get closed down every week and fade, then those huge fee's are like an albatross around their necks and the resale price plummets and is unrecoverable.....thats the Danger.

sure, examples like Maddison and Mount have acclimatised well, from Norwich and Derby( loan).....and on the up side prospective players like Watkins and Benrama would be playing with better players around them, so that could negate my earlier concern.

Matthew Benham is a past master at doing what he does, developing talent in a swashbucking environment playing a brand of football that catches the eye....but so far they have won nothing only admirers....its Leeds and Albion ( more rounded teams) that have taken the prizes......we just need to be careful, is all I'm saying.

However, We have not got a great record in recruitment with big money signings.....hope we are better now.

Edited by TRO

14 hours ago, Davkaus said:

40 points isn't bad. 5 points per season improvement has us winning the league in 13 years.

Some of us might not live that long.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

I can almost guarantee that if we are running at this level of point margin through the season, you will be moaning like mad and asking for Dean out.

I think we have to understand the position here.....at the start of this season we will hopefully have spent in the region of £250 million in 2 seasons.....owners will expect a return on that money, and that will be safety in the league minimum.

We will lose games next season for sure.....but sustained runs of defeats over 5/6 games without a win, will not be as readily acceptable as last season.

We have already witnessed a marked change in fortunes since lockdown, where accumulating points has been more likely and our game has been far less benevolent, due to our approach to those games.

With Deans new found game plans and new improved players (hopefully) i expect those losing runs to be more populated by wins or draws.

its not a case of looking for "Dean Out".. we all want him to succeed.....its more about not accepting serial defeats and the inevitable consequences of such events.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

I could write it in Gaelic to make you feel at home.😀

We only profess we can speak it. Very few of us actually can. I belong to the majority in this respect and therefore we're back to the attention span/lack of understanding from before. It's a vicious cycle this!

12 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Players like who? Starting players of Champions League clubs?

Yes, I'd love to sign them. I'd also love to sign Messi but it's not going to happen. We could offer him £1m a week he ain't coming.

I'd love to sign Werner for £50m like Chelsea just have but it's not going to happen. We could have offered him the same wage as Chelsea and he probably wouldn't even have come to discuss the move.

You can't just say the top teams sign better players so we should. Leicester became the side they are from non-league Vardy and three or four bargain buys. And a freebie from Villa's bench.

It doesn't matter where players come from, only if they're good enough. I hope our new recruitment squad don't let us down like last summer's lot.

I'd LOVE to sign Watkins and Rashica. They are the only two players we've been linked to by journalists who know anything so I'm hoping they come off.

Rashica, absolutely. The best player we've been linked to this summer by far and I really, really hope we get him. Watkins I'm not sure, he looks like flavour of the month signing to me, but we would obviously be signing a player on the up. I'd be more convinced by Watkins if he was 20 or 21, but he's 25 this year and had one prolific season in half a dozen, in the lower leagues of English football. I think I'd be more comfortable with Benrahma from Brentford, he has genuinely looked a class apart in that league, but again like Watkins he's not exactly young (he's 25) and still playing in the Championship. 

The striker position is one we absolutely must get right, for me there's too much risk in signing Watkins, as there is with signing Origi and Iheanacho. I actually think King or Wilson would be more sensible but I haven't seen us linked at all. We'd all love Tammy back I think but doesn't seem like that's achievable. Then you've got players like Edouard and Morelos, who I think could be good moves, but again not too many links. There are plenty of strikers overseas with good records in the top divisions, but very few links. I really don't know why we don't gamble on someone like Boadu, already capped for the Netherlands, young and already one of the top scorers in the Eredivisie. I've also seen loads of names on here of players from Germany, Spain, Italy - but our scouting network appears to just be ignoring these leagues in the main. 

Who knows who we're going to sign, but there needs to be a couple of big signings to take us on to that next level of being comfortable and finishing 5 or 6 positions higher than 17th. Rashica would be one of those signings, then we need a big signing up top and arguably in midfield. If we do that I think we'll be fine next season; if not, it will be yet another long and draining season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

We only profess we can speak it. Very few of us actually can. I belong to the majority in this respect and therefore we're back to the attention span/lack of understanding from before. It's a vicious cycle this!

Part of my family live in naas and maynooth.....they speak it well.

• Like 1

Interesting that he said he is barely ever having a go at players.

Don't know how i feel about that. 

Ex Man Utd players said they feared Ferguson and would give everything on the pitch to please him and to not get on his wrong side.

Also i got a bit confused about another thing he said. He said our point tally were nowhere near what they aimed for before the season. Nowhere near. Statistically you need 36 points on average to survive in the league. Later he said the target was to survive.

Doesn't add up to me. If we finished on a point tally that is only 2-3 point off you being practically safe but then saying we had a point tally nowhere near what we expected.. I'm just, i don't get it

Edited by villalad21

Â