Dean Smith

Demitri_C

17 hours ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Really had smith been a little more conservative at the start of the season we would be clear of the relegation scrap. Managers pick and coach teams, over the course of the season luck injuries balance out, lack of basic coaching and game management are his responsibility.  Since the restart he has adopted a different approach , had he done this in December we might be in a stronger position. His players his responsability!

Do you not think the form of Luiz and others clearly getting more up to speed have things to do with it?

Surely its not as black and white as manager chooses to now defend better. Like he didn't care about it previously. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Really had smith been a little more conservative at the start of the season we would be clear of the relegation scrap. Managers pick and coach teams, over the course of the season luck injuries balance out, lack of basic coaching and game management are his responsibility.  Since the restart he has adopted a different approach , had he done this in December we might be in a stronger position. His players his responsability!

A slogan (EDIT: or a cliche) isn't a fact. It's just a slogan (or cliche).

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do you not think the form of Luiz and others clearly getting more up to speed have things to do with it?

Surely its not as black and white as manager chooses to now defend better. Like he didn't care about it previously. 

TBF Luiz was in and out of the team to start with , along with the different formations and players afoot. Players dont find form whilst we chop and change . Yes players systems do need time to bed in  and he had to build a new team and adapt a style of play. It was difficult task !  My criticism is the style of play and strategy he chose,  it was very naive  to go the way he did with the squad he had in a new league  that is black and white. 

Im not questioning if  Smith cares , im questioning his ability to manage at this level. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It worked once so it must be the only correct way.

Well,so far........that might might be the best suggestion, you have made.

because all the other attempts haven't pulled up any trees.

On 18/07/2020 at 20:55, DCJonah said:

So like I said, you're angry that this team isn't good at everything. You want us to create chances, score goals and not concede many. Not a lot to ask for a newly built squad of unproven players, who then suffered injuries to key players. Expectations. Our defence has been better since lockdown but now its smiths fault that we aren't scoring more. Because what ever stat showed we were good at you'd moan about the things we aren't. 

And all his fault? Of course, like when engels let it go under his foot. Bad smith. 

What about late wins against Brighton and Watford? That was terrible as well. 

Apparently, Samattas loss of form is down to Smith. Work that one out. 

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think you are coming at if from the wrong angle with "fault" - the manager is accountable for results- rightly or wrongly that's how it is.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, hippo said:

I think you are coming at if from the wrong angle with "fault" - the manager is accountable for results- rightly or wrongly that's how it is.

That’s fine, we're unbeaten in the last two. 

In Deano we trust. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

Personally, I'd like the club to stick with Smith even if we go down and see if we can implement another rebuild with players who are going to suit the style of football he wants to play. With a shorter off-season I think it's going to be hard enough to rebuild the squad, let alone undertake big changes to the football department staff in the current climate.

But I can also accept if the owners want to go another direction.

Edited by Hornso

Honestly, I think Luiz's uptick in form is mainly due to the lack of crowds than anything else. The difference in the quality of his play after and before the restart is a bit ridiculous. He seems to have completely gotten rid of his inconsistency problems and the big difference between the two periods is the lack of crowds. 

I guess if we stay in the PL and keep Luiz with us, we can easily test this theory next season.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

9 hours ago, Hornso said:

Personally, I'd like the club to stick with Smith even if we go down and see if we can implement another rebuild with players who are going to suit the style of football he wants to play.

Wait, so he wasn't trying to sign players to suit the style of play he wanted over the past season?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wait, so he wasn't trying to sign players to suit the style of play he wanted over the past season?

Ugh, perhaps I worded it poorly. I meant if we go down, we return to playing the attacking football Smith likes to play, in the Championship.  

Since the break, I think he’s realised that he can’t play the style he wants, with the squad at his disposal, so we’ve been far more defensive and not looking to play our way out of trouble at every opportunity because we’re not good enough to.

Part of this is down to signings (surely Suso has to take responsibility for some of them...), part down to the depth of the squad and he was probably a bit naive at times.

My comment was also derived from an article I saw the headline of recently that Smith would have more say in signings going forward (which could be complete bollocks)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

My comment was also derived from an article I saw the headline of recently that Smith would have more say in signings going forward (which could be complete bollocks)

It was. It was an old image with a fake headline put on it.

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

Ugh, perhaps I worded it poorly. I meant if we go down, we return to playing the attacking football Smith likes to play, in the Championship.  

Since the break, I think he’s realised that he can’t play the style he wants, with the squad at his disposal, so we’ve been far more defensive and not looking to play our way out of trouble at every opportunity because we’re not good enough to.

Part of this is down to signings (surely Suso has to take responsibility for some of them...), part down to the depth of the squad and he was probably a bit naive at times.

This is why I think Smith should go. lets say we are relegated and smith starts next season in post - does he

1.Go back to the style that got us promoted in 2019

2.Go with the more defensive stylee he has tried since since restart

3.Or most likely a hybrid of the two.

Aston villa breaks managers - Lambert joined us with a reputation of decent football - he left us squaring the ball across the pitch at walking pace - he has never done anything since. Thats what I believe will happen to smith , plus of course his credibility with the players "what does he know - he got us related last season"  - Thats why I think a fresh start is best - even with a comparable manager like Chris Hughton   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Honestly, I think Luiz's uptick in form is mainly due to the lack of crowds than anything else. The difference in the quality of his play after and before the restart is a bit ridiculous. He seems to have completely gotten rid of his inconsistency problems and the big difference between the two periods is the lack of crowds. 

I guess if we stay in the PL and keep Luiz with us, we can easily test this theory next season.

It's down to hard work during lockdown and dramatically improving his English according to Smith. Needed time to acclimatize to the league is all. Don't think crowds have anything to do with it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

And then there’s Coronavirus, global warming, Russians poisoning people in the street, the list goes on  

• Haha 1

Â