Dean Smith

Demitri_C

21 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Do people think we are so good that we can just dictate how a game plays out for 90 mins? Could it not be that a better team started to improve. 

I do love the idea that our squad is so much better than others in the league that Smith should be dictating how games play out. 

When was he close to getting sacked last season? That's just made up nonsense. 

lol   yes 11 v 11 one football simple as !!! 

Reports that Leeds accepted £25 million for Philips but he turned us down to stay. That’s where we get Luiz, Nakamba, and Drinkwater. Luiz has been exceptional in the restart but it was probably too little too late. It leads me to my original points that Smith I’m sure has a shortlist of transfer targets but once you get to 2nd, 3rd, 4th choice how much do you think he actually knows those players, especially foreign. Think about how many positions on the field...11. Let’s say since we’re newly promoted we’re getting our 2nd, and 3rd choice targets. Do we think Smith is managing the first team, keeping close tabs on the youth setup, scouting opponents, spending time with his family, and then going across the UK and Europe to scout 40+ players for transfers? Once you get down to 2nd and 3rd choice he’s relying on the other professionals in the sporting department to do their jobs. Here’s the philosophy and here’s the types of players needed for that philosophy. 

Just now, NSmith22 said:

Reports that Leeds accepted £25 million for Philips but he turned us down to stay. That’s where we get Luiz, Nakamba, and Drinkwater. Luiz has been exceptional in the restart but it was probably too little too late. It leads me to my original points that Smith I’m sure has a shortlist of transfer targets but once you get to 2nd, 3rd, 4th choice how much do you think he actually knows those players, especially foreign. Think about how many positions on the field...11. Let’s say since we’re newly promoted we’re getting our 2nd, and 3rd choice targets. Do we think Smith is managing the first team, keeping close tabs on the youth setup, scouting opponents, spending time with his family, and then going across the UK and Europe to scout 40+ players for transfers? Once you get down to 2nd and 3rd choice he’s relying on the other professionals in the sporting department to do their jobs. Here’s the philosophy and here’s the types of players needed for that philosophy. 

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I love your theory but I just dont see who this person is that you are picturing.  It's like those women who are waiting for the perfect man to be their perfect boyfriend/husband and will accept nothing less.......it doesnt exist.  

It’s Ron Saunders, unfortunately 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Cowley's get sacked after keeping Huddersfield in the league. If people think our highly ambitious owners will have an " oh well " attitude about relegation, you might be very wrong.

From the outside that doesnt make sense, they were 2nd bottom when took over and have pretty much kept them up

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

From the outside that doesnt make sense, they were 2nd bottom when took over and have pretty much kept them up

The football was boring but they kept them in the league, which was their remit. From what im reading they wanted much more control and to be able to make more sweeping changes and were at loggerheads with the owner over it. Only one winner then.

22 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I don't disagree. But I also don't think we'd attract a top manager and I'm not top players would have joined anyway. 

To sack him after he achieved his target, a season earlier than the club probably realistically thought, would be crazy. I'm not sure actions like that would attract big name managers. 

Unless of course they have someone else lined up. Which they evidently didn't. We're an attractive proposition.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I love your theory but I just dont see who this person is that you are picturing.  It's like those women who are waiting for the perfect man to be their perfect boyfriend/husband and will accept nothing less.......it doesnt exist.  

My wife said it does.

With results going our way the more I imagine us staying up the more I appreciate Smith. Our squad is ass. If he manages to keep us up he will prove every single one of his doubters wrong as far as I am concerned.

I do not envy Smith having to pick between Trezeguet and El Ghazi. The demoralising effect Trezeguet miscontrolling a ball for the 6th time has on our team cannot be understated. The same can be said for El Ghazi firing a cross out for a throw in, Samatta consistently losing possession, Nyland fluffing simple catches and Nakamba tripping over the ball.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NSmith22 said:

saunders, used to rely on Tony Barton......Cloughie used to rely on Peter Taylor....its what happens in football.

Managers always rely on their staff.....thats why they choose them.

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

I so want to respond to this with an absolute knob response but I suppose you can imagine what that knob response would be lol. Sorry!

Fill ya boots.....we need some stimulation

14 minutes ago, AV82 said:

With results going our way the more I imagine us staying up the more I appreciate Smith. Our squad is ass. If he manages to keep us up he will prove every single one of his doubters wrong as far as I am concerned.

I do not envy Smith having to pick between Trezeguet and El Ghazi. The demoralising effect Trezeguet miscontrolling a ball for the 6th time has on our team cannot be understated. The same can be said for El Ghazi firing a cross out for a throw in, Samatta consistently losing possession, Nyland fluffing simple catches and Nakamba tripping over the ball.

Really had smith been a little more conservative at the start of the season we would be clear of the relegation scrap. Managers pick and coach teams, over the course of the season luck injuries balance out, lack of basic coaching and game management are his responsibility.  Since the restart he has adopted a different approach , had he done this in December we might be in a stronger position. His players his responsability!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Really had smith been a little more conservative at the start of the season we would be clear of the relegation scrap. Managers pick and coach teams, over the course of the season luck injuries balance out, lack of basic coaching and game management are his responsibility.  Since the restart he has adopted a different approach , had he done this in December we might be in a stronger position. His players his responsability!

Potentially, yes. Regardless I think we'll be better placed to criticise after the final 2 games. Let's hope he can drag us over the line. UTV!

Â