Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Tonight feels really wierd, I've been adamant we were going down for 4/5 weeks now, accepted even. 1 game and it's suddenly back in our own hands. 

Absolutely remarkable. 

13 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I do love clicking on who votes the lowest for Smith. It's like a fun bingo game for the whole family. 

I voted for average, and that's only because he still frustrates me with how long he waits to make a change. Other than that I have no issue.

Would love a nice 3-0 against West Ham just to ice it... 

I just checked I voted good 😁 I was a mess emotionally after the match.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Haha 1

The first match my dad took me to was the 3rd round match against (then Division 2/League One) Fulham in the FA Cup about a month after we'd been top at Christmas under Gregory. We barely won a game again all season after and finished 6th. I can literally say that it's all been down hill for the Villa since the day I rocked up. Sorry lads it's all my fault.

If I'm honest, I've had some of the greatest moments of my Villa supporting life this last year or so under Smith. Grealish getting punched and scoring the winner against SHA. Hutton's wonder goal against them at our place. Super John McGinn. Beating Baggies over two legs (on penalties!!) and going up as convincing winners at Wembley after a club record league-winning streak. All that with a team reliant on loan players and people about to retire with a boyhood Villa fan captain in the form of his life. 

Smith got us up and has taken a young and inexpeirenced side to a League Cup final (that we gave a good account of ourselves in) and has us 90 minutes away from staying up, and he's barely been here 5 minutes. I supported him for most of the year but had accepted a few weeks ago we were mostly likely down. I think almost all of us would've taken being in 17th on goal difference going into a final day game against an (almost) mathematically safe West Ham at the start of the season. He's made plenty of mistakes, but credit where it's due - by any measurement he's doing better than any manager probably since O'Neill.

Edited by icouldtelltheworld
  • Like 3

The saying (saved the best for last) could actually be put next to Smiths name for this Arsenal win,yeah its not the last team we play but you get it right, took so long to pull something like this off, that it may of just saved us.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

How did he tweak? We shifted a couple of times I thought but I wasn’t sure if it was just how the game played out. I’m agreeing with you here I just am not sure exactly what he was shuffling.

May have happened earlier but final third of the game for sure we seemed to have a noticeable 4-4-2-esque shape when defending with McGinn pushing up next to Davis harassing the deeper lying Arsenal players. Thought it worked great and the pressure without doubt contributed to their sloppiness and how little they created.

We played great today and credit to Smith, got the best out of everyone.

Just now, penguin said:

May have happened earlier but final third of the game for sure we seemed to have a noticeable 4-4-2-esque shape when defending with McGinn pushing up next to Davis harassing the deeper lying Arsenal players. Thought it worked great and the pressure without doubt contributed to their sloppiness and how little they created.

We played great today and credit to Smith, got the best out of everyone.

In the first half he got Doug to drop really deep.  Hourihane and mcginn pushed up a bit and Grealish and Trez went a little wider but withdrawn. Before that they were passing through and around us with relative ease. 

In the second half we did what you said and it really got to them.

8 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

The saying (saved the best for last) could actually be put next to Smiths name for this Arsenal win,yeah its not the last team we play but you get it right, took so long to pull something like this off, that it may of just saved us.

Oh god what did I do.

Now I thought of the song and it's what I'd sing to Smith right now if I could, sure it wont be as good a voice or get me on that music show forgot name but yeah it applies to you Smith if you hear me.:

Edited by Dave-R

Credit to Smith. Always cool and calm. You can understand now what he has been trying to do since the restart- build a solid base and make us hard to beat. Now our set pieces have improved and we can score a few goals. If we had a quality striker I think we would be safe by now. I thought we were going to run out of games but we are on a roll now.

We are like the middle distance runner keeping their stamina  in the home stretch to squeeze through the next round as a fastest loser!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I said I would rather look silly than be right.... Well after tonight I have the clown outfit ready for me to put on after Sunday!!

I'll pass the clownciycle along lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, penguin said:

He got it spot on today, and everything seemed to click. Shows what we are capable of.

Precisely....so it was there,all along.

• Haha 1

Â