Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The players and manager are good enough for the championship. Even with minimal changes I expect us to be challenging for top 2. But we need to be thinking beyond just promotion. We need to be looking at a manager that will not just bring us up.  He will also keep us up.

No arguments from me.

Hopefully Purslow pulls a manager out the bag but he has to be a big step up.

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Good point. 

I tell you what will be a good laugh.

People saying how immediate the improvement is from last season when the new fella takes charge of his first few Championship games.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

poor teams with better squads than us, who didn't lose their first choice keeper and only proper striker halfway through the season. 

+ John McGinn. Dreadful luck for a newly promoted team to lose 3 key players for a large part of the season. With these 3, I would argue we would be comfortably mid-table, and all this Dean Smith talk would be much more positive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No arguments from me.

Well it’s not impossible. In the last 2-3 seasons we’ve all seen Nuno, Benitez and Bielsa managing championship teams. All top class managers.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

+ John McGinn. Dreadful luck for a newly promoted team to lose 3 key players for a large part of the season. With these 3, I would argue we would be comfortably mid-table, and all this Dean Smith talk would be much more positive.

I'm not convinced comfortable mid table, but when you look at replacements who have had to play, we have definitely seen a massive drop in quality. 

3 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

We can’t be developing managers hoping that they will do well in their 3rd year.

Honestly mate, what on earth are you talking about? The same manager who took us out of the Championship at the first time of asking! Jesus.

1 hour ago, NSmith22 said:

Again, give Gregg Evans a follow. Smith is very clearly not the issue here. In actuality, and this will spark some on here, I think he’s done a pretty good job with the injuries and recruitment. I’m going to repost this tweet as a reminder...

Cool, thanks for that. We create chances. Excellent.

All pointless when you look at the other stat of 17 games conceded in the last 15. Or is that the strikers fault as well? 

3 minutes ago, jim said:

Cool, thanks for that. We create chances. Excellent.

All pointless when you look at the other stat of 17 games conceded in the last 15. Or is that the strikers fault as well? 

You're right. We should clearly be a team that doesn't concede many, creates chances and scores goals. 

Disgrace that we aren't doing everything right with the players we have available. 

Moan at the manager, stat proves you wrong, move onto the next thing.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

poor teams with better squads than us, who didn't lose their first choice keeper and only proper striker halfway through the season. 

if you cant defend as a team what chance has any keeper got!! 

Proper striker? LOL MCO  Did i miss something then or was Wesley taking the premier league by storm?

Excuses Excuses - we had back up on the keeper front striking options were poor, but who is to blame for that. 

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

Honestly mate, what on earth are you talking about? The same manager who took us out of the Championship at the first time of asking! Jesus.

We got promoted because Grealish dragged us to the playoffs, when Grealish was injured we were playing poorly and he was close to getting the sack.

At this time he still did not implement any type of attacking philosophy that he spoke of.

He helped identify the players that we now have this season and now people are saying they are not his signings. There are interviews of his saying that he watched Trezeguet play for his country several times.

He has has been poor this season, he didn’t change anything when we were losing games and still left us open at the back.

He agreed to sign Danny Drinkwater when he has been completely pointless.

His game management has been poor, even against Everton, we stopped pressing and we invited pressure, that was a tactical move. If it wasn’t then it’s even more concerning that his players are not taking his instructions.

Perhaps you are besotted with him because he is supports the club..

4 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

if you cant defend as a team what chance has any keeper got!! 

Proper striker? LOL MCO  Did i miss something then or was Wesley taking the premier league by storm?

Excuses Excuses - we had back up on the keeper front striking options were poor, but who is to blame for that. 

We had so much back up we had to sign reina on loan and play nyland. No team down there had to do anything like that. 

Wesley was poor, the recruitment was terrible. But again, we had to play games without a recognised forward and had to sign a panic buy in samatta and Baston. Again, what teams down there had to do that?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

We got promoted because Grealish dragged us to the playoffs, when Grealish was injured we were playing poorly and he was close to getting the sack.

At this time he still did not implement any type of attacking philosophy that he spoke of.

He helped identify the players that we now have this season and now people are saying they are not his signings. There are interviews of his saying that he watched Trezeguet play for his country several times.

He has has been poor this season, he didn’t change anything when we were losing games and still left us open at the back.

He agreed to sign Danny Drinkwater when he has been completely pointless.

His game management has been poor, even against Everton, we stopped pressing and we invited pressure, that was a tactical move. If it wasn’t then it’s even more concerning that his players are not taking his instructions.

Perhaps you are besotted with him because he is supports the club..

Do people think we are so good that we can just dictate how a game plays out for 90 mins? Could it not be that a better team started to improve. 

I do love the idea that our squad is so much better than others in the league that Smith should be dictating how games play out. 

When was he close to getting sacked last season? That's just made up nonsense. 

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Another season to lose? The back five even with Mings has shown itself not to be PL standard. Midfield has flattered to deceive, except Luiz, who will probably be gone. If you expect those attackers to thrive, you have more confidence in them than me. And they have shown themselves also not to be PL standard. We need a new manager, but we also need new and effective recruitment, not going back to the PL with a CH team again.

Like I said. The players that will stay will be good enough to get Villa up again from the championship.

17 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No arguments from me.

That’s the big issue for me. If the board decide to change manager then surely this can’t be something that has just come up. I think well run clubs always have plans for replacing  key personnel. Even people you want to keep may leave or step under a bus. I don’t even think it should depend on us staying up or not, the board should have seen enough, over the last 36 games, whether Dean Smith is the man they believe can take us forwards. Ok the division we end up in may affect who we can attract, but we should have irons in the fire for both eventualities. If we sack Dean Smith and only then start looking for his replacement, it would suggest that, despite the current board being a step up from the last lot, (almost impossible not to be), in management recruitment terms they are no better. Given the importance of this appointment, that would be very worrying. 

As I’ve banged on about previously we need to appoint a top quality Director Of Football to run the football side of the business as a priority. After all we are a football club. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do people think we are so good that we can just dictate how a game plays out for 90 mins? Could it not be that a better team started to improve. 

I do love the idea that our squad is so much better than others in the league that Smith should be dictating how games play out. 

When was he close to getting sacked last season? That's just made up nonsense. 

There was a visible retreat in the last fifteen minutes of the game. We weren't giving them space we scored and they suddenly had time and space on the ball. 

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s the big issue for me. If the board decide to change manager then surely this can’t be something that has just come up. I think well run clubs always have plans for replacing  key personnel. Even people you want to keep may leave or step under a bus. I don’t even think it should depend on us staying up or not, the board should have seen enough, over the last 36 games, whether Dean Smith is the man they believe can take us forwards. Ok the division we end up in may affect who we can attract, but we should have irons in the fire for both eventualities. If we sack Dean Smith and only then start looking for his replacement, it would suggest that, despite the current board being a step up from the last lot, (almost impossible not to be), in management recruitment terms they are no better. Given the importance of this appointment, that would be very worrying. 

As I’ve banged on about previously we need to appoint a top quality Director Of Football to run the football side of the business as a priority. After all we are a football club. 

IMO Purslow has a lot to answer for. He should have pulled the trigger when we got promoted. Dean Smith has a ceiling and I don't think he will be a top premier League manager.

However I would love to be proven wrong by him as I have longed to see villa managed by a villa fan leading us to the league title during my life time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

There was a visible retreat in the last fifteen minutes of the game. We weren't giving them space we scored and they suddenly had time and space on the ball. 

I know, but why does that mean smith told the players to do it, or that the players have so little respect for him they would ignore him? 

As I said, could they not have improved? They brought on two players they spent around £55 million on. The miss from El Ghazi, probably gave them a boost. 

I just don't buy the idea that we should be able to dictate how a game plays out for 90 minutes. Not many teams in this league manage that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

IMO Purslow has a lot to answer for. He should have pulled the trigger when we got promoted. Dean Smith has a ceiling and I don't think he will be a top premier League manager.

However I would love to be proven wrong by him as I have longed to see villa managed by a villa fan leading us to the league title during my life time.

That would have been madness to sack him after promotion. 

• Like 1

Â