Dean Smith

Demitri_C

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Top bloke, really nice guy, but surely we’ve all seen he is out of his depth with this job? 

I struggle with this question.

I think our squad is largely awful, our first 11 when fully fit is Premier League standard, but considering the injuries we've had and our criminal lack of good options to come off the bench, I think any manager would struggle.

I don't deny for one second that there's better options out there. Who are they? Can we attract them? They are questions I have no answers to. 

I think it would be very harsh to sack him. Got us promoted, got us to a cup final and if we do get relegated it will be marginal.

I look at Burnley when they dropped down and kept Dyche, I bet a lot of their fans wanted him sacked too. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think our squad is largely awful, our first 11 when fully fit is Premier League standard, but considering the injuries we've had and our criminal lack of good options to come off the bench, I think any manager would struggle.

I don't deny for one second that there's better options out there. Who are they? Can we attract them? They are questions I have no answers to. 

I think it would be very harsh to sack him. Got us promoted, got us to a cup final and if we do get relegated it will be marginal.

I look at Burnley when they dropped down and kept Dyche, I bet a lot of their fans wanted him sacked too. 

I’m torn as well to be honest. 

2 hours ago, jim said:

What stat proves me wrong? The chances created? We have the second best goals for of the bottom 8.
The inability to hold onto a lead has proved the biggest issue this season and that is down to the manager and his shocking in game management. 

So like I said, you're angry that this team isn't good at everything. You want us to create chances, score goals and not concede many. Not a lot to ask for a newly built squad of unproven players, who then suffered injuries to key players. Expectations. Our defence has been better since lockdown but now its smiths fault that we aren't scoring more. Because what ever stat showed we were good at you'd moan about the things we aren't. 

And all his fault? Of course, like when engels let it go under his foot. Bad smith. 

What about late wins against Brighton and Watford? That was terrible as well. 

7 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Fans thinking that relegation is acceptable from a manager because we beat a Liverpool u-18 side to ultimately reach the League cup final..

I seriously doubt anyone has ever said that. And that was one game of a cup run.

• Like 3

Just on the defence, because again there seems to be some expectation that this group of players should be so much better. 

Targett, back up player at Southampton. Helped Fulham get promoted and they signed a different lb. 

Gilbert, just relegated in France. 

Engels, Konza, Hause, 3 young kids who have never come close to playing regular football at the same level as the prem. 

Mings, played cb for 5 months in the championship. 

Thats a group of players that we demand should be capable of consistently performing at this level? Mings has shown enough, guilbert has moments and targett going forward is good but again the expectations seem so high with little to back up why.

• Thanks 1

Not sure why people  go on and on debating whether he should keep his job or not, it's not as if any of you punks have any say in the matter. The club will decide his future at the end of the season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Just on the defence, because again there seems to be some expectation that this group of players should be so much better. 

Targett, back up player at Southampton. Helped Fulham get promoted and they signed a different lb. 

Engels, Konza, Hause, 3 young kids who have never come close to playing regular football at the same level as the prem. 

Thats a group of players that we demand should be capable of consistently performing at this level? Mings has shown enough, guilbert has moments and targett going forward is good but again the expectations seem so high with little to back up why.

Our signings have to be better next window,cant go signing those players that weve signed who have not touched first team, regular or top flight football, it's exactly one of the reasons why we have all but failed.

We put to many Hope's and trust and inexperience running from the Coaches through to our players and we could even say our Owners, Purslow and Jesus.

Paid to much for some of the players we have, they should of been cheaper.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure why people  go on and on debating whether he should keep his job or not, it's not as if any of you punks have any say in the matter. The club will decide his future at the end of the season.

So everyone is a punk because they have an opinion, yeah ok get real, people are entitled to talk you know and discuss what they think should happen.

Someone had weetabix for Breaky.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, useless said:

haha bit harsh. 

Have you not been doing the same?

20 minutes ago, useless said:

Isn't that a bit like saying "Why are any of you discussing football at all? You have no say in relation to anything that the club do"?

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I still want him here if we get relegated.  I think he’s perfectly suited and has a track record to get us promoted, it’s his team although likely in and outs...we don’t have to start again with a new manager to get into their stride, I’m not sure whose that much better than him that we could get....plus all the reasons you stated above. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

The logic is all there. People see what they want to see.

Many minds have been made up on Smith, there's no debate to be had any more.

If we can get a Marco Rose, great, get him in tomorrow. If we can't, Smith staying is the correct move. 

Plus obviously, Suso leaving is crucial to our future.

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I still want him here if we get relegated.  I think he’s perfectly suited and has a track record to get us promoted, it’s his team although likely in and outs...we don’t have to start again with a new manager to get into their stride, I’m not sure whose that much better than him that we could get....plus all the reasons you stated above. 

I like your posts Nick. You are one of the more measured posters but what is this track record? Prior to coming to villa he has no track record. At Villa he got an relatively extremely talented bunch of players promoted via the play offs. I encourage you to watch the play off games again. We were lucky in all 3 matches. Yes we did win 10 on the bounce which is impressive but his record without Jack was woeful.

I definitely think he should be replaced but only if we can get a definite improvement. Dean does bring a lot of other advantages. His local status and support of the club does bring the support together. I do think he is learning too. Tough one really.

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Pretty much agree with everything you’ve said but I would say only your final point you aren’t comparing apples to apples; We probably spent more just this summer than Burnley have in their history, is it not fair expectations are different?

• Like 1

Just now, penguin said:

Pretty much agree with everything you’ve said but I would say only your final point you aren’t comparing apples to apples; We probably spent more just this summer than Burnley have in their history, is it not fair expectations are different?

Burnley also probably also never had to buy a full squad of players in a summer as well. Is it not fair that people had OTT expectations?

• Like 1

For:

• Had to build a squad from nothing thanks to previous owners betting the house
  • The continuous improvement of David Luiz, Ezri Konsa and Matt Target
  • Our performances (sans Chelsea) since the restart have been much better
  • Losing Wesley, Heaton, McGinn for long periods
  • VAR and Kevin bleeding Friend

Against:

• Tactically naive, especially against Chelsea, Leicester, Southampton (all at home) and Arsenal away (amongst others)
  • No backup for Wesley
  • Inability to close out games. We are diabolical at ball retention in the last 15 minutes of games
  • Missing basics. Like turning over possession regularly from throw ins, or taking short corners when we have 3 CB's (Mings, Hause, Konsa) in the box.
  • Over-reliance on Jack in attack

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Our signings have to be better next window,cant go signing those players that weve signed who have not touched first team, regular or top flight football, it's exactly one of the reasons why we have all but failed.

We put to many Hope's and trust and inexperience running from the Coaches through to our players and we could even say our Owners, Purslow and Jesus.

Paid to much for some of the players we have, they should of been cheaper.

a quick tot up.....those players mentioned accrue to c £77 million......Imo only Hause was value for money.....the rest over priced.

why were they signed if they wasn't good enough to stay up.....where is the nous in the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Its a gamble any way you look at it.

I say if something is not working, change it.

but the burning question is on the face of it, can we get someone better.......for me other clubs, smaller than ours get managers as good or better, I think we sell oursleves short or aim too low.

Having said all that, the previous managers we have had, have not covered us in glory, so the attraction is waning, unless a rabbit can be plucked from the hat.....we are gradually becoming less and less attractive to would be managers.

We need someone with boat loads of confidence in himself and a management team to back him, with owners willing to back him too.....many ducks to get in a row.

Personally, I have seen things, that I don't see changing all season ,so I would make a change in manager.

and it would be a Manager, not a head coach.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â