Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure what the squad has to do with Purslow he doesn't scout, decide who we sign or train the players.

He put together the recruitment team and I imagine will be leading negotiations with transfers. 

• Like 2

We have to keep Smith because he has just done a season of hard learning at this level (as with most of the players) and he SHOULD be stronger for it. No point in investing all of that experience into a manager and then handing him over for somebody else to benefit from. He has to get at least half way through next season before any judgement is made.

• Like 1

You don't sack the person who put together the recruitment team every time you have a bad season, if you sack Purslow for Smith and Suso's failures then what next wanting Sawiris and Edens out because they were the ones that gave Purslow a job. And he only negoiates the transfers after he's been told who the people running the football side of things want to buy.

The owners might decide to be ruthless and get rid of him, but I don't think it's something we should be expecting.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

No point sacking him now unless we can bring in a manager that will be the best fit for the Championship. If that person is available now then great, let's not hang about. Somehow I feel that there currently is nobody without a job that we would want to bring in.

Although calls for Hughton are good shouts. Seems very organised and knows how he wants his team's to play. Smith doesn't really have a clue how to combat other teams strengths, and when he does try to affect the game we are already 2 or 3 goals down.

There's certainly a strong case for sacking him now. We're not relegated yet. The players look like they need a new voice, to try something different.

Can DS set up a team to go out and try to win?

You seem to be suggesting he can't. If that's the case sacking him and giving Terry (or anyone else) a go is a no brainer. 

If we beat Palace there is hope.

I'm clinging to the hope that DS prepared the team for damage limitation the last few games.

And we'll see a completely different approach from here to the end!!!

The second half was so devastating to watch. We were two goals down to arguably the best team in the division at the moment and that was down to a terrible decision to award them a penalty on a foul on Konsa when we were on top of the game. When ridiculous decisions like that go against you its mentally is destroying. The second goal was pathetic - especially from our senior player. 

I think long term keeping with Smith for next season is the best way forward in the championship. That's only if he hasnt lost the dressing room. 

I'm also disappointed with Terry. He was more vocal when a captain than Assistant coach.

I’ve believed we didn’t sign enough experience, but the latter issue was the club was never ready to be promoted to then PL.

I believe if we keep the nucleus of this team and sign some experienced players, we will bounce straight back and be better prepared for PL. These players will be better and they will be a better team with another 50 games under their belts.

Smith deserves to be part of this, but I want to see us automatically promoted.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I’ve believed we didn’t sign enough experience, but the latter issue was the club was never ready to be promoted to then PL.

I believe if we keep the nucleus of this team and sign some experienced players, we will bounce straight back and be better prepared for PL. These players will be better and they will be a better team with another 50 games under their belts.

Yeah our most 'experienced' player is Mings who isn't really experienced at all. We missed a Jedinak/Whelan - not necessarily to play but to help with the dressing room. We do forget that our team is very young. 

26 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Problem is we know we won’t keep the nucleus of a team. Right now I’d expect Middlesbrough to be stronger than us in the championship next season. We will literally be back to square one with fewer weeks to prepare.

38 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Smith is a busted flush and if purslow had any balls he’d have sacked him in December rather than give him a new deal - we really have had some dreadful people running the club at ceo level and the fact smith and Suso are still here is an utter tragedy for Aston Villa as a football club 

• Thanks 1

Can't believe some of you still want to keep him after the dross we've witnessed this season.

Fine, whatever. You are entitled to your own opinion.

I think we are gonna be in the Championship for a while. A good few years at the very least. 

I've got deep concerns about Purslow as been mentioned. So much uncertainty around the club now. Who will stay and who will leave? I've got no clue.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I understand the recruitment argument. I really do. A massive amount of blame has to go to that side of the club.

But the absolute refusal to put any of that blame on the manager is a bit tedious to be honest.

Smith could and should be doing more with this group of players. We are utter shit.

I completely understand your argument and I think Smith has made plenty of mistakes, in particular, he has underestimated, or perhaps to be fairer, not appreciated, what is required in the PL

Unlike you though I’m not sure how much could be achieved with our desperately poor squad. Given what he has available I don’t actually think performances in many games have been bad - we are in games (even yesterday) but the players are not able to take chances created. I think we are far more competitive than last time we went down (a low bar I know)

I was impressed with how we kicked the season off and played open attractive football but clearly didn’t have the firepower to take required points - since then Smith has tried many changes to correct the problems but to no avail. Injuries to key players have hindered us and a thin squad makes replacements and substitutions problematic. I think it is Sadly inevitable that players heads will go down from time to time but they don’t generally look like a team that is not trying to me (although it was clear that there was little belief that we could come back from 2-0 yesterday)

I completely understand why IF you truly believe that much more is possible With this group that Smith should go! I don’t believe that and So I think that our best chance of coming back next season by far, is with him in charge

• Like 1

I don't think Smith is a bad manager or became a bad manager. It just seems the chemistry between him and the players has disappeared. I would be all for a new coach for the last 4 games, with the option of staying on if he can keep us up (Allardyce, Hughton). Smith could easily get another job in the championship an in the future get back to the PL, he will have learned from this. I am not sure if he can get us back up if he were to stay on, because of the lack of chemistry. On the other hand, it would give us stability, something we haven't seen at Villa in ages.

I disagree with all the negative comments on here about Smith. Same was said about Bruce ('terrible coach') but that terrible coach is now doing fine with a newcastle team that most on here deemed not better than ours. It's just a matter of momentum and chemistry. I also don't believe all our players are shit (comments on here after games are always inspiring), but rather out of form (Grealish, McGinn) or demoralised. But that's just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I completely understand your argument and I think Smith has made plenty of mistakes, in particular, he has underestimated, or perhaps to be fairer, not appreciated, what is required in the PL

Unlike you though I’m not sure how much could be achieved with our desperately poor squad. Given what he has available I don’t actually think performances in many games have been bad - we are in games (even yesterday) but the players are not able to take chances created. I think we are far more competitive than last time we went down (a low bar I know)

I was impressed with how we kicked the season off and played open attractive football but clearly didn’t have the firepower to take required points - since then Smith has tried many changes to correct the problems but to no avail. Injuries to key players have hindered us and a thin squad makes replacements and substitutions problematic. I think it is Sadly inevitable that players heads will go down from time to time but they don’t generally look like a team that is not trying to me (although it was clear that there was little belief that we could come back from 2-0 yesterday)

I completely understand why IF you truly believe that much more is possible With this group that Smith should go! I don’t believe that and So I think that our best chance of coming back next season by far, is with him in charge

I actually don't believe Smith should go.

It's just getting frustrating seeing people in this thread saying he couldn't be doing any better. He could be doing better. How much better? Who knows. But he could be doing better than the utter dross he's served up since the restart. 

Again, this is worse than we've been all season. He himself has performed better with this squad this season. It's our most crucial point of the season and we are worse than ever

And I don't agree on the creating chances bit. We barely create any chances. 2 goals in 5 games since the restart isn't a coincidence. It's a complete lack of attacking organisation and ability. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

This is where I’m at. If they sacked Dean, meh. Don’t really care. He’s a good bloke but he’s cost us points at times this season with his subs. 

The real issue is with the squad though. Last summer was an unmitigated disaster. That’s on Purslow and Suso. 

Id say its more suso than purslow.  The sporting director made recommendations. I do think suso had a major role in the signings from abroad.  But j think smith did too.

Purslow is the chief exec he is accountable for hiring them both. I dont think purslow failed with appointing smith as he got us up. But his ultimate failure was guving hjm a new comtract when we wasnt even performing that well. What a stupid mistake that was. Now all that compensation we have to pay when we sack him.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I actually don't believe Smith should go.

It's just getting frustrating seeing people in this thread saying he couldn't be doing any better. He could be doing better. How much better? Who knows. But he could be doing better than the utter dross he's served up since the restart. 

Again, this is worse than we've been all season. He himself has performed better with this squad this season. It's our most crucial point of the season and we are worse than ever

And I don't agree on the creating chances bit. We barely create any chances. 2 goals in 5 games since the restart isn't a coincidence. It's a complete lack of attacking organisation and ability. 

Your last paragraph is why smith should go stevo. Cant agree with your last paragraph more. We have been a shambles for most of 2020.

51 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I also thought this, however, I'm not sure anymore. I think there will be too much depression floating through  the players and staff. Something has happened behind the scenes. I think it's more than likely the manager has lost confidence in the players and visa versa. I don't think this is easily recovered tbh. 

I think the necessary changes required and the short turn around into next season isn't going to be sufficient a time to remedy the current issues. This is more than a player quality issue imo, something has clearly broken. Let's be honest, we're less cohesive now than early in the season, what leads people to believe Smith can remedy something in 3 months that he hasn't been able to achieve since the start of the season. 

17 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Smith is a busted flush and if purslow had any balls he’d have sacked him in December rather than give him a new deal - we really have had some dreadful people running the club at ceo level and the fact smith and Suso are still here is an utter tragedy for Aston Villa as a football club 

Ok and had nothing to do with the club not being ready to go back to the PL? Just because we had an amazing 10 game run, didn’t hide an ageing squad and lack of depth. We needed to rebuild the club and financial fair play doesn’t allow you to do it in one transfer window anymore.

Â