Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Shame, it was a dream job for him but seems to be way out if his depth.

The signings whoever made them have been shocking, we needed a Cahill type next to Mings.

We needed a Milner-type in midfield next to Luiz.

Instead we sign a bunch of players untested at the highest level which was always asking for trouble, so naive from the top down.

Now we have to rebuild once again. Transition yet again, every season after O'Neill has been a transition!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Last I heard Hughton was favorite for the Bristol City job and has apparently stated his interest. I think he's already turned down a few championship teams down as well, so I think that could well happen.

I just had a look on the Bristol City forum to see if there was any news on this, and saw a thread on our finances... Seems they're pinning their hopes on the EFL punishing us upon relegation... 'Mr Popodopolous' on there has written an essay on our financial situation... Not sure why so many fans of other clubs are pinning their hopes on us going into financial oblivion when we go down, it's not going to happen and the if the EFL wanted to punish us they would have done so already, they don't have to wait for teams to be relegated anymore as there was a change to the rules.

• Like 1

Why is it that people state Terry is an issue but no one ever seems to question Richard O'Kelly ?

The players are not good enough Suso's fault ..despite Smith on record saying he went to watch Trez , that Maupay was  too expensive and it was him who wanted Drinkwater ?

I'm not saying Suso in particular is blameless but seems to be alot of passing the buck to defend Smith.In Terrys case I can't remember too many times over the years of poor managers where the assistant or coaches where the issue .I don't recall people saying if we got rid of Clemance Bruce would be doing better for example.

On purchasing Smith didn't do the buying at Brentford so there is not evidence to suggest left to him soley it would be better.Currently our best player is Luiz so who takes credit for that transfer ? 

My point is I don't subscribe the theory that we would be massively better with Terry and Suso not here ...I doubt it 

• Like 3

Same opposition. Lost also, but boy this Villa team would go through a brick wall for each other and they were bloody good. I was 11 watching this. My heart was racing. So exciting. We were just so honest, to a man. We were United's nuisance of a team in that 2 to 3 year spell. They're Newcastle and Arsenal of the mid to late 90s. Tonight was just sad. Had to watch this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Same opposition. Lost also, but boy this Villa team would go through a brick wall for each other and they were bloody good. I was 11 watching this. My heart was racing. So exciting. We were just so honest, to a man. We were United's nuisance of a team in that 2 to 3 year spell. They're Newcastle and Arsenal of the mid to late 90s. Tonight was just sad. Had to watch this.

Atkinson was so good, none of our players have a patch on him

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again.

Purslow's decision to give Smith a 4 year contract while we were already off to a fairly poor start shows an alarming degree of poor judgement. 

It's only the beginning of the shit that happens under Purslow when he is involved with football clubs.

5 hours ago, hippo said:

Dunno mate - it seemed very odd at the time. - its going to be close on £4m compo - and you have to question the decision making at the higher echelons of the club, thats a big worry for me.

We are rotten to the core once again.

Purslow - Suso - Smith & Terry all need to be removed from the club and we start again next season with a fresh new setup imo.

• Like 2

No one knows what kind of clauses were in Smith's contract, for all we know the new contract might make it easier for us to sack him should hefail this season, whilst also making it more financially beneficial to Smith should he succeed. When McLeish was sacked he missed out on compensation because he failed to reach a certain amount of points.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I understand the recruitment argument. I really do. A massive amount of blame has to go to that side of the club.

But the absolute refusal to put any of that blame on the manager is a bit tedious to be honest.

Smith could and should be doing more with this group of players. We are utter shit.

I also find it a bit tedious to keep reading that we should do better with these players. Because what is that statement based on. I agree with the could part, he isn't performing well and doing a good job, although I think it would take someone special to get anything from this squad. 

What have we seen from our attacking unit to be able to say they should be doing better? Grealish is the only one out of the group who we know can actually perform at this level. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I also find it a bit tedious to keep reading that we should do better with these players. Because what is that statement based on. I agree with the could part, he isn't performing well and doing a good job, although I think it would take someone special to get anything from this squad. 

What have we seen from our attacking unit to be able to say they should be doing better? Grealish is the only one out of the group who we know can actually perform at this level. 

We have the rest of this season where we’ve been performing better. 

We are getting worse and worse and worse.

His hands are tied a certain amount. But he’s doing a really shit job at the moment. 

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We have the rest of this season where we’ve been performing better. 

We are getting worse and worse and worse.

His hands are tied a certain amount. But he’s doing a really shit job at the moment. 

I don't disagree too much. 

Its strange, I know I defend him lots but I'm not a huge fan of his. I don't think he's done a good job. I wouldn't be gutted if he was sacked and we brought in a decent manager and I don't think Smith will return us to the glory days. 

But for the first time, in my villa supporting life, I just don't feel, when looking at the squad and a few injuries, that the manager should be doing much better with them. 

I look at the keepers and the fact we are rotating 3rd/4th choice players. 

I look at the entire set of attacking players and those on the bench and I don't see players good enough for this league. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Players aren't great but we were competing for most of the first part of the season. Don't know what's happened since January or so but it's been absolutely disgraceful.

Agreed. I was sure we would stay up after the first couple of months of the season, we competed well in most games. 

Things have deteriorated quickly, and only appear to be getting worse. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't disagree too much. 

Its strange, I know I defend him lots but I'm not a huge fan of his. I don't think he's done a good job. I wouldn't be gutted if he was sacked and we brought in a decent manager and I don't think Smith will return us to the glory days. 

But for the first time, in my villa supporting life, I just don't feel, when looking at the squad and a few injuries, that the manager should be doing much better with them. 

I look at the keepers and the fact we are rotating 3rd/4th choice players. 

I look at the entire set of attacking players and those on the bench and I don't see players good enough for this league. 

This is where I’m at. If they sacked Dean, meh. Don’t really care. He’s a good bloke but he’s cost us points at times this season with his subs. 

The real issue is with the squad though. Last summer was an unmitigated disaster. That’s on Purslow and Suso. 

No point sacking him now unless we can bring in a manager that will be the best fit for the Championship. If that person is available now then great, let's not hang about. Somehow I feel that there currently is nobody without a job that we would want to bring in.

Although calls for Hughton are good shouts. Seems very organised and knows how he wants his team's to play. Smith doesn't really have a clue how to combat other teams strengths, and when he does try to affect the game we are already 2 or 3 goals down.

Â