Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

Although I'm not in the Dean Smith camp and he's made plenty of mistakes I can't get over my overriding feeling from this season that has been individual mistakes, littered with them in almost every game. Even some of out "good" players namely mcginn, mings and not to mention our not so good players. Dean Smith hasn't done a good job this season but my god we've got some poor players. I find it hard to take all the blame out on him with the brain dead mistakes I've witnessed. 

But thats the point - all players make mistakes, - but the manager or coach , puts a system in place to keep these mistakes to the minimum - when as you say mistakes are happening week in week in out - those systems aren't in place. 

Just now, CosmicVillan said:

I don't think the owners will stand for it to be honest looking at what they did when they fired the coach over at the Milwaukee Bucks 

This is purely a hunch, but I have this awful feeling that the fact that Smith got us up last season "ahead of schedule" will mean they give him another chance next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CosmicVillan said:

I don't think the owners will stand for it to be honest looking at what they did when they fired the coach over at the Milwaukee Bucks 

Let’s hope they still have some interest in us when we do get relegated... seen it all before and I fear we will go the same way again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Blaming Smith for this is just stupid. 

We were on top and that disgraceful decision just turned the game on its head. 

Papering over the cracks.

Man U should have scored 5 or 6

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

But thats the point - all players make mistakes, - but the manager or coach , puts a system in place to keep these mistakes to the minimum - when as you say mistakes are happening week in week in out - those systems aren't in place. 

True, I think he was naive to try play attacking football with the players he has. Major oversight, I think he learned his lesson too late. 

Edit: but there's no way you can legislate for defenders standing off strikers shooting from the edge of the box or players playing suicide balls across the square, doesn't matter what the manager or system is that's basics of defending and a lot of our players simply don't know the basics. 

Edited by kiltorken

The owners aren't going to keep him in a job as they know that that would put their own ambitions into question, they'll want to make a show of despite getting relegated they're determined to achieve their ambitions with us, that won't be apparent if they keep a manager who has gone ten games without a win and who knows how many more it will be by the end of the season. I think it's almost impossible for him to keep his job unless he somehow turns things around and keeps us up, and even then there'd still be a chance of him going.

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I've been saying Terry should get the boot since December. Our defence is useless and DS has said repeatedly JT looks after that

Yes agreed. Good players seldom make a good manager .. just have to look at the likes of Maradonas/Zidane etc . Maybe it’s the fact they have  exceptional natural talent & ability , so there’s no urgent need to develop other skill like game strategy / games intelligence / organization skill/ team formation  etc in their playing days , but these very  are important skill sets you need as a manager now.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

We need to challenging for automatic promotion right from the beginning, this thing of accepting midtable because of only being a win or two from the play-offs is the mistake we made with Bruce. It's the acceptance of such low standards that's helped put the club in the position it's in now.

100%. Of course you take promotion whatever way it’s presented but I didn’t like coming up via the playoffs. I wanted us to be worthy by dominating the league and the best teams in it. For me Sheffield United played the best last season, and they murdered us at VP first 45. Looked the real thing. Enjoyed the comeback sure enough but it left me uncomfortable also. I wanted that to be us doing the hurting. 

• Like 1

Just now, Digavilla said:

Yes agreed. Good players seldom make a good manager .. just have to look at the likes of Maradonas/Zidane etc . Maybe it’s the fact they have  exceptional natural talent & ability , so there’s no urgent need to develop other skill like game strategy / games intelligence / organization skill/ team formation  etc in their playing days , but these very  are important skill sets you need as a manager now.

How is Zidane just casually tossed into the same sentence as Maradona when were talking about being a manager? 

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

This is purely a hunch, but I have this awful feeling that the fact that Smith got us up last season "ahead of schedule" will mean they give him another chance next season.

If wed gone down fighting and got relegated by goal difference on the last day - Maybe.

But anyone who sits down and does a post mortem will IMO not come to that conclusion - We don't score goals, We don't keep clean sheets, and totally imploded in too many games we found ourselves ahead - but have to see out the game. ( I think 2 of our 7 victories came with very late goals for us ). Dig a bit further, Smiths Brentford  in his last full season lost more points from winning positions than any other in the championship,   

Our only chance of winning a few games between now and the end of the season that might give us a small glimmer of hope, is by trying something different, and having Terry as manager for the remaining games would be something different, at least it would be giving it a go, I get the feeling that Terry is quite respectful to the fact that Smith is the manager and holds back quite a bit which presumably would change if he was put in charge. Can't think of anyone else at the club we could put in charge until the end of the season.

• Like 1

Just now, M_Afro said:

Sack him tomorrow. It’s still worth a role of the dice. No change means no change!

100% this. Absolutely nothing to lose. 

Any manager who tells the players to throw in the towel should be sacked immediately for gross misconduct.

Just now, useless said:

Our only chance of winning a few games between now and the end of the season that might give us a small glimmer of hope, is by trying something different, and having Terry as manager for the remaining games would be something different, at least it would be giving it a go, I get the feeling that Terry is quite respectful to the fact that Smith is the manager and holds back quite a bit which presumably would change if he was put in charge. Can't think of anyone else at the club we could put in charge until the end of the season.

The handsome GK guy gets my vote.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Give big sam a 6 month contract tonight for the love of god

What happens after 6 months in Championship. Do we just let him go🤔

9 minutes ago, useless said:

The owners aren't going to keep him in a job as they know that that would put their own ambitions into question, they'll want to make a show of despite getting relegated they're determined to achieve their ambitions with us, that won't be apparent if they keep a manager who has gone ten games without a win and who knows how many more it will be by the end of the season. I think it's almost impossible for him to keep his job unless he somehow turns things around and keeps us up, and even then there'd still be a chance of him going.

Yep - thats the harsh reality.

On here we are all pretty close to villa - and somehow think we are are different. - but from a neutral POV - £140M outlay on players, worst defence in the division , 0 win 10 , and a relegation - not many managers survive stats like those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anything is probably worth ago rather than just carrying on as we are and accepting our fate. Imagine if West Ham and Watford hardly win another game all season, and we look back and think if only we made a chance with four games to go a different manager might have got us the few wins needed to keep us in the league. In all probability a new manager probably won't work now, but it's worth a try.

Â