Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He didn't? Unless you mean he got us promoted and gave us the means to do so. 

Oh, you’re of the opinion (without any evidence) that Smith didn’t have a say in any of the players that came in? He’s the only manager in the country who doesn’t have a say in who is signed.

I think the new contract was a PR move, they were marketing the whole Villa fan angle for all it is worth. I don’t blame them, but it feels like any other manager with this record would have gone ages ago. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

I think the new contract was a PR move, they were marketing the whole Villa fan angle for all it is worth. I don’t blame them, but it feels like any other manager with this record would have gone ages ago. 

It might have been agreed on promotion - but only finalised in November ?

Just now, hippo said:

It might have been agreed on promotion - but only finalised in November ?

Would you agree a new contract in advance though? A bonus and maybe a payrise in his existing contract. But why a new longer deal? Crazy.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Might as well let him go now, haven't got anything to lose, even if it means putting Terry in charge for the remaining games.

I've been saying Terry should get the boot since December. Our defence is useless and DS has said repeatedly JT looks after that

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Smith "the belief is there" 

No matter how many times you aay that ffs diesnt mean that it will happen.  He is the only guy in the planet that thinks that we have no belief whatsoever 

He has no choice though does he!

Now is not a time for rinsing his players. He knows we’re f***** as much as we do but someone has to keep their heads up just in case. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Would you agree a new contract in advance though? A bonus and maybe a payrise in his existing contract. But why a new longer deal? Crazy.

Dunno mate - it seemed very odd at the time. - its going to be close on £4m compo - and you have to question the decision making at the higher echelons of the club, thats a big worry for me.

My mind has changed once again. I think he has to go, not now, but at the end of the season. There's going to (likely) be such a short break between this season and next season that a change might be good. We're on such a downward spiral right now. Without having a proper pre-season and change, I don't really know how we get out of this situation we're in. I feel we need a fresh start now more than ever with the above in mind.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

He has no choice though does he!

Now is not a time for rinsing his players. He knows we’re f***** as much as we do but someone has to keep their heads up just in case. 

Did there heads look 'up' in that 2nd 45 though ? 

Since the restart how many shots on target have we had?

When we changed to three at the back for Burnley Dean said that there had been a team meeting and the players thought as a team we were to easy to play through. Now firstly why had Dean not come to the same conclusion as well and if the players are making decisions on formations and tactics why do we need a manager.............

Although I'm not in the Dean Smith camp and he's made plenty of mistakes I can't get over my overriding feeling from this season that has been individual mistakes, littered with them in almost every game. Even some of out "good" players namely mcginn, mings and not to mention our not so good players. Dean Smith hasn't done a good job this season but my god we've got some poor players. I find it hard to take all the blame out on him with the brain dead mistakes I've witnessed. 

24 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He’s lost the dressing room. Time to leave. 

I wouldn't want to "find" most of the players in that dressing room

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Not in that league. Its always so close. Of we are midtable by Xmas he could still be replaced and give us a chance to still do it. 

Interesting thought. You're right, never considered that.

Helps Smith's case, but if there's an outstanding candidate, makes sense to give them the pre-season.

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again.

Purslow's decision to give Smith a 4 year contract while we were already off to a fairly poor start shows an alarming degree of poor judgement. 

Incredible wasn't it. Such a clearly incorrect decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

My mind has changed once again. I think he has to go, not now, but at the end of the season. There's going to (likely) be such a short break between this season and next season that a change might be good. We're on such a downward spiral right now. Without having a proper pre-season and change, I don't really know how we get out of this situation we're in. I feel we need a fresh start now more than ever with the above in mind.

Anytime from now really - failure to act IMO would send the wrong message throughout the club. I don't expect anyone to step in now and keep us up - but the club IMO can't be seen to tolerate players strolling about like they did tonight.

• Like 1

Â