Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Dave-R said:

Is crazy how we got rid of Bruce who was about defending to now wanting someone to teach our lads defending.

We can never just find both can we, good up front good at the back, always a manager who is good at one but let's us down on the rest.

Things is Dave, we aren't good up front, we are just shite everywhere now.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jim said:

Where have I said that? This team is more than good enough not to be in the bottom two at this stage of the season. We’ve seen what they are capable of in a handful of games this season.

The problem is the coaching and the tactics, there is no clear game plan and Smith constantly chops and changes the team. 

This is what I don't get. 

How do statements like this get made with such confidence? 

When Nuno was being linked to Arsenal I noticed that Wolves were being linked to Lage as his replacement, they seem to know what they're doing, maybe he's someone we can get before they do. Have  no idea if he's any good, but if we go down, attracting a big name is easier said than done, so the next best thing will probably be to try and attract a Nuno type, which again is easier said than done, but there must be someone from the French, Portugese, or maybe Italian or Spanish league that would come to an ambitous championship team, and have potential to do well in Premier league as well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Then saying we did wellast 15 mins. Absolutely unbelievable 

I thought we did.

We actually took the game to them, put them under pressure, and Jota nearly equalised it.

If we'd played with that level of fearlessness for the preceding 75 minutes, maybe we'd have a point or 3. Or maybe we'd have lost 8-0. Who knows. 

I get the criticism and I get some of the frustration but the way some of you have turned is unbelievable. 

I said in the summer that the unrealistic expectations of the fans would mean we wouldn't last the season without wanting smith gone and it's looking like its true. 

17th is our league title. We are 3 pts off it. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I do reluctantly feel bruce would have done a better job keeping us up than smith did. Bruces footnall is crap jn championship but more effective in pl

We make too many individual errors because we aren't good enough. I'm not sure being super defensive would make a major change in fortunes.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id have to agree. I want him to leave but if he keeps us up there is no way we can sack him as he did what was asked of him keeping us up. 

But id say the chance of him keeping us up are so low. I think the more realistic question is if we are relegated do we stick or sack?

We go down it's bye bye he is not bringing us back up. We will be relegated with Dean Smith. The question is with Dean Smith will we be league champions eventually? I doubt that.

Replace Dean Smith with Rafa Benitez, ask the same question. I think he can win the league with Aston Villa. Eventually. 

the worst thing is i would love deano to be successful at Villa.

I cant decide how much of the issue is down to him, im not convinced he got the players he wanted (apart from a few), the recruitment generally appears to have been unsuccessful, to the point of farcical in some area's.

However, im not sure how we defend the fact that the tram doesnt do the basics, we defend too deep, we dont press properly, we stand off, we hoof the ball rather than look to play, we dont seem to have a "style" of play, i almost cant believe that this is how they are being told to play?, if they are it reflects terribly on the coaching team, if they arent it still reflects badly on the coaching team as it would then mean the players arent listening and implementing the plan.

Whichever way you look at it, its a mess, and i cant even decide who is to blame, it seems there are failures in almost every area to some degree.

I do think if we added 3 very good players to this team, it would be a mid table team, but again, there is no excuse as to why we play so deep, so meekly, so weak, so.....brainless and clueless?

This isnt a terrible team imo, its certainly not a good team, but it isnt as bad as its playing i dont think, something is wrong.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I get the criticism and I get some of the frustration but the way some of you have turned is unbelievable. 

I said in the summer that the unrealistic expectations of the fans would mean we wouldn't last the season without wanting smith gone and it's looking like its true. 

I wanted him gone the day we got promoted.  Just saying.  Technically I haven't turned on him.🤣😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I do reluctantly feel bruce would have done a better job keeping us up than smith did. Bruces footnall is crap jn championship but more effective in pl

thats a void argument though, Bruce wouldnt have taken us up in the first place.

not saying deano should or shouldnt stay in charge, but the "we should have kept Bruce" argument has no basis in reality.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This is what I don't get. 

How do statements like this get made with such confidence? 

I’ve got eyes, I’ve seen us compete, fleetingly but it’s been there. As I said the issue is the set up and coaching. 

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Is crazy how we got rid of Bruce who was about defending to now wanting someone to teach our lads defending.

We can never just find both can we, good up front good at the back, always a manager who is good at one but let's us down on the rest.

Right now we are poor all over the pitch 

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I thought we did.

We actually took the game to them, put them under pressure, and Jota nearly equalised it.

If we'd played with that level of fearlessness for the preceding 75 minutes, maybe we'd have a point or 3. Or maybe we'd have lost 8-0. Who knows. 

I think your being kind. There was hardly any pressure. 

Your final paragraph. If only we did that in 75% of our games this year but no we see consistent garbage performances. With same mistakes over and over

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Things is Dave, we aren't good up front, we are just shite everywhere now.

That is true we have stop being good anywhere really. Since we cant get time up front we dont have spells where we get that time to have in front of goal as abit of a tester. So when that time finally comes the match is all but over for us and were still in a test shooting phase where opposition have ran past that point in the first half. Players need to feel there shots and it usually always takes players a good 4 attempts plus to grab a goal, we just cant get that testing phase done, it's like were in limbo with it and on repeat. We have no feeling for a shot, no feel for placement, no sense of positioning, it's like if your there your there just shoot straight at the keeper as if he is not even in front of you just hoping it goes on in.

Just now, jim said:

I’ve got eyes, I’ve seen us compete, fleetingly but it’s been there. As I said the issue is the set up and coaching. 

so because we've done ok every so often, that means we SHOULD be higher?

I've seen Bournemouth look really good in games and they're still in the bottom 3. Norwich have had moments of looking competitive and are bottom. 

Our squad is a relegation fighting squad. There is nothing but claret and blue specs to claim we should be doing better. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I agree and bizarrely we had 5 shots on target and they had 4.  That’s amazing stat given their possession and dominance which is understandable given the standard of Chelsea...not just the first XI but the quality of their whole squad. 

Â