Dean Smith

Demitri_C

30 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

So you just come back out change nothing and let the pattern of the first half continue? Surely you try something different to counter absolute domination?

We were winning 1-0

It sounds easy to just say change something like you're clicking on a football manager instruction button, but the fact is we had defended well and were winning the game. To just say change it, doesn't mean it would have worked. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

So a handful of occasions means we should be able to do it on a consistent basis?

If a lower league team beat a prem team in the cup, their fans should then demand promotion?

We signed one proven premier league player in Heaton. We have one player in Jack, who has proved he is a consistently good Premier league player. The rest have done nothing for fans to be able to confidently say they should be out the bottom 3. 

I wonder if Bournemouth fans are turning on Eddie Howe or Norwich fans turning on their manager? 

I knew eventually we'd resort back to form and be like this. Its a shame. 

Norwich spent peanuts and do not have players like mcginn grealish mings at their disposal.

Also norwich have shown heart at times like the city win. Farke is a much better manager than smith in my opinion

To all those who continue to moan about Dean Smith. Think back to when he was appointed. Can any of you honestly say that he has under performed since that moment?

When he got the job, most realistic expectations were that we'd be challenging for promotion by the end of the 19/20 season. 

We have absolutely smashed that expectation and yet he's a disaster for it. Makes absolutely no sense. Its just the usual moan at the manager because its not instantly good enough. Which, if I'm being honest, I've been guilty of in the past. 

Some of our fan base are currently acting like we've never been relegated. We are not a premier league ever present anymore. We finished 5th in the championship last year and needed a club record breaking winning run to achieve it.  

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Norwich spent peanuts and do not have players like mcginn grealish mings at their disposal.

Also norwich have shown heart at times like the city win. Farke is a much better manager than smith in my opinion

I mean, where to start with this. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I mean, where to start with this. 

Go ahead im all ears

Also when we beat Norwich 5-1 although a great result for us lets nkt forget the twam Norwich fielded that day. The amount of injuries they had was ridiculous 

Norwich fans and Bournemouth fans are both turning on their managers, Bournemouth fans have been questioning Howe for a while now, and truth be told more people would probably be turning on Smith if it wasn't for the fact he was a Villa fan, or if they didn't like the way he talked or something silly like that. He did very well to get us promoted last season, probably the biggest achievement of any manager since we last won a trophy, but that was last season in a different league, doesn't excuse a poor campaign this season, Leicester sacked Ranieri the season after they'd won the title.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

So you just come back out change nothing and let the pattern of the first half continue? Surely you try something different to counter absolute domination?

You're leading the game and limiting their chances, despite heavily struggling with possession. 

If you change it up to 5 at the back, as  someone suggested, how does that help us with possession further up the pitch? It works against that by taking a player away from up there, pushes us deeper and invites more pressure. It also removes an attacking outlet, so if we concede we've even less chance of getting back into it. 

There's a reason you don't sit on a one goal lead and go ultra defensive for 45 minutes, especially when your defence isn't a strong point. 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Go ahead im all ears

Also when we beat Norwich 5-1 although a great result for us lets nkt forget the twam Norwich fielded that day. The amount of injuries they had was ridiculous 

christ are we back to the making excuses when we win stage again? they had loads of injuries when they beat city too

• Like 1

The Henry link wasn't real, when the papers were reporting we were in for him Smith had already agreed to join the club. It was just something made up by the sun, I think they also claimed that Darren Dein was going to be involved somehow. Smith and Rui Faria were interview I think, and there might have been someone else but it wasn't Henry.

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Go ahead im all ears

Well firstly, you speak about Norwich realistically. They're a newly promoted team, who absolutely smashed us in the league last season. Yet you don't treat us the same. We are a newly promoted team. We spent money because we had so many holes to fill and they didn't. Yet that means we SHOULD be doing better because we had to rebuild the entire squad and they didn't. 

They showed heart because they beat city. Well what about last minute winners against Watford and Brighton? Does that not show heart? 

We also beat them at our place as well. 

I bet Norwich fans aren't calling Farke a disaster and demanding he leaves. Its a shame we haven't been able to accept ourselves as a newly promoted team and have somehow forgotten the 3 years in the championship. 

Edited by DCJonah

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

To all those who continue to moan about Dean Smith. Think back to when he was appointed. Can any of you honestly say that he has under performed since that moment?

When he got the job, most realistic expectations were that we'd be challenging for promotion by the end of the 19/20 season. 

We have absolutely smashed that expectation and yet he's a disaster for it. Makes absolutely no sense. Its just the usual moan at the manager because its not instantly good enough. Which, if I'm being honest, I've been guilty of in the past. 

Some of our fan base are currently acting like we've never been relegated. We are not a premier league ever present anymore. We finished 5th in the championship last year and needed a club record breaking winning run to achieve it.  

He wasn’t out if his depth in the championship ,  here however he is well out of his depth and let’s not forget didn’t we go 1 win in 12 under him last season when grealish was out ? 

yes he played a part in getting us up but with grealish , mcginn , Abraham and mings , tuanzebe in that team I think we underperformed to finish 5th . 

ultimately smith is nowhere near good enough at this level and I would not want him in charge next season either in the championship , we need someone who can kick on with the club whichever division we are in - not dean smith 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

exactly this. it was amazing that we got promoted but we were in no position to. we didnt have a team really. in hindsight, maybe we should have kept a whelan or chester around, just so it's not such a total rebuild. frankly i'd rather have had whelan on the pitch for much of this season than luiz (though he has improved).

we will go down. i think that's obvious. dean smith is not blameless in that, but i suspect those calling for his head are the the same people that had hopes of a top half finish this season. this feels totally different to last time. we thought we were going bust last time ffs and will lose jack for 6m. this time jack is going to fetch around 80m plus at least 30m each for mcginn and mings. that's a hell of a war chest. i dont trust suso with a penny of it though. i'd give smith a few games in the championship, but i'd find a better DoF immediately after the season ends

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We were winning 1-0

It sounds easy to just say change something like you're clicking on a football manager instruction button, but the fact is we had defended well and were winning the game. To just say change it, doesn't mean it would have worked. 

Of course it may not have worked but to be proactive, identify that their full backs had too much space down our flanks, doing something about it ie. moving Konsa who isnt a RB, inside as a 3, and putting Elmo on would be showing you are trying to stop a constant threat we could all see first half. He didnt, and shock,  second half continued to play out exactly as the first did and we inevitably lose. It was an awful display however anybody dresses it up.

It doesn’t take a football genius to point out that Farke is a better manager than DS.

Norwich lack quality because they lack the financial and historical power that we have.

Farke has created a real footballing philosophy that sticks regardless of the opposition.

If he had better quality players Norwich would be secure in this league.

3 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

It doesn’t take a football genius to point out that Farke is a better manager than DS.

Norwich lack quality because they lack the financial and historical power that we have.

Farke has created a real footballing philosophy that sticks regardless of the opposition.

If he had better quality players Norwich would be secure in this league.

And yet they're going down currently bottom of the league. 

I agree with you by the way. I think Farke is a good manager. But if we were bottom and smith was playing a footballing philosophy that sticks, he'd be getting the same stick. 

Norwich, accept what they are. We haven't yet. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eastie said:

He wasn’t out if his depth in the championship ,  here however he is well out of his depth and let’s not forget didn’t we go 1 win in 12 under him last season when grealish was out ? 

yes he played a part in getting us up but with grealish , mcginn , Abraham and mings , tuanzebe in that team I think we underperformed to finish 5th . 

ultimately smith is nowhere near good enough at this level and I would not want him in charge next season either in the championship , we need someone who can kick on with the club whichever division we are in - not dean smith 

That's some good rewriting of history. To take away credit for achieving what we did last season, takes away anything your argument has going for it.

It just seems anti smith for the sake of it. 

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well firstly, you speak about Norwich realistically. They're a newly promoted team, who absolutely smashed us in the league last season. Yet you don't treat us the same. We are a newly promoted team. We spent money because we had so many holes to fill and they didn't. Yet that means we SHOULD be doing better because we had to rebuild the entire squad and they didn't. 

They showed heart because they beat city. Well what about last minute winners against Watford and Brighton? Does that not show heart? 

We also beat them at our place as well. 

I bet Norwich fans aren't calling Farke a disaster and demanding he leaves. Its a shame we haven't been able to accept ourselves as a newly promoted team and have somehow forgotten the 3 years in the championship. 

Norwich have had worse injuries than what we have and their budget was significantly less. You can say we needed playwr im not denying that but we still spent a ridiculous amount of cash in the summer. They didnt.

Two games against two poor sides is not a great example. Heart and passion is holding on to leads or hell even getting a point against teams your leading against. (Arsenal liverpool spurs now add chelsea to the list)

We have bottled so many games under smith. He has no idea how to see out a game. He has no idea how to beat ten men, and doesnt know how to setup  a back four.

Farke has had limited funds and built a team that is more likely to come up back up than we will.

Smiths been a utter disaster in the premier league

22 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

christ are we back to the making excuses when we win stage again? they had loads of injuries when they beat city too

So you agree with me than farke is better than smith?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Norwich have had worse injuries than what we have and their budget was significantly less. You can say we needed playwr im not denying that but we still spent a ridiculous amount of cash in the summer. They didnt.

Two games against two poor sides is not a great example. Heart and passion is holding on to leads or hell even getting a point against teams your leading against. (Arsenal liverpool spurs now add chelsea to the list)

We have bottled so many games under smith. He has no idea how to see out a game. He has no idea how to beat ten men, and doesnt know how to setup  a back four.

Farke has had limited funds and built a team that is more likely to come up back up than we will.

Smiths been a utter disaster in the premier league

I asked before and it was ignored. What position in the league would you currently be happy with?

Â