Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Imagine the fans. They wanted him sacked when he kept getting more points each year. 

But there are no fans in the grojnd to moan. O neill isnt a bad shout until end of the season.  I think he would take it as lerners gone

Smith said at the start of the season that he identifies the types of players that we need and then he, Suso and Purslow discuss the options and make the decisions. They all have an equal say but it is Smith who identifies the types of player that we need and this is our greatest issue. All of our defenders are similar, all of our midfielders are similar, all of our wide forwards are similar and all of our strikers are similar! We have no options and glaring deficiencies!

If we had a near head centre half, a physical box to box midfielder and a couple of speedy wide forwards then all of the other players would look much better. That is on Smith.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

But there are no fans in the grojnd to moan. O neill isnt a bad shout until end of the season.  I think he would take it as lerners gone

Me too - what we need is someone to get the best out of these players in the last 8 games    Be it o neill , big Sam or whoever ,  but smith needs to go now . 

We don't want O'Neill he's failed everywhere he's been since leaving us. As much as people dont' want him, the only stop gap manager I think that would have a chance of saving us is Allardyce, and even that would be asking a lot. Or if you could bring in such a top manager that the name alone would give the players a lift and get them playing just from the excitment, but in the circumstances that's pretty much impossible at the mo as well.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not so sure , 8 games in a very condensed period for any manager to work with , i would give it to JT until the end of the season nothing to loose now!

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Imagine the fans. They wanted him sacked when he kept getting more points each year. 

True it a lot of water under the bridge since and I’m talking about 8 games only , end his career on a high and  keep villa up - a good motivator of players might just get us over that line . 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Fair enough. You could be right guess uts hard for us to know. But i think we can both agree the business was poor in the summer. I actually think it was worse than the year we went down. We actually signed some good players had we known how to bloody use them with a decent manager

I agree. Veretout at Roma. Gueye at PSG. Gollini 1st choice at Atalanta and in the Italian squad. Ayew on the team sheet every week at Palace. Traore flying it. Hindsight can be a cruel mistress but id be shocked to see any of the crew, Luiz aside, to go on to big things in a few years.

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Me too - what we need is someone to get the best out of these players in the last 8 games    Be it o neill , big Sam or whoever ,  but smith needs to go now . 

How can you be so sure that there is much better to get out of these players?

Our squad can be of a standard that would be doing well to avoid relegation and Smith can also be doing a poor job of not getting more out of them. The two aren't mutually exclusive and it's too simplistic to just say the squad isn't good enough. The manner of a lot of the points we've dropped is more of a problem than the fact it's happening at all. I personally expected to be in this sort of position at the beginning of the season but that doesn't mean the way in which we've found ourselves here hasn't been utterly ridiculous at times.

We've taken 2 points all season off teams in the top 10 (according to the commentary anyway), so by virtue of that I think it's fair enough to say that there isn't a lot of quality in the bottom half of the table and in cases such as that effective coaching can be enough to get you over the line. I reiterate again that all things being equal I think our squad isn't up to standard on the whole, but despite that so many of the points we've dropped this season can be chalked up to a lack of organisation or flimsy mentality, and those are absolutely things you can look at Smith for and question whether another manager could have done more.

We frequently bottle games from winning positions, particularly against the bigger sides, in a season where numerous teams around us have managed to pull at least a couple of results out of the bag. We've largely done well enough against the rest of the league that if we hadn't blown at least two of those games we'd be in a position like Brighton's and looking at this run in a lot more positively. We also just have no identity as a team and that's something that's often the difference between sides that do and don't stay up in the relegation battle. Say what you will about Bruce and Newcastle but they know what they are and stick to it, I couldn't even tell you what type of side we are and it's reflected in performances like today when we look constantly bereft of any sort of ideas both on and off the ball. Regardless of quality that isn't something you see in effectively-coached sides.

I like Dean and do feel sorry for him in the sense that he was largely let down by the summer's business. His usual style of football is one that's reliant of productive wingers and ours are garbage at Premier League level sans Grealish, whose having to move to the left subsequently made us weaker through the middle (made even worse in the period where McGinn was injured). Suso and Purslow's approach was borderline arrogant and dangerously lacking in any sort of short term pragmatism and I wonder how much we're paying for it now. Despite that sympathy though I do think Smith has a lot to answer for himself because some of these issues are bigger than him not getting the exact DM and left winger he wanted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Smith said at the start of the season that he identifies the types of players that we need and then he, Suso and Purslow discuss the options and make the decisions. They all have an equal say but it is Smith who identifies the types of player that we need and this is our greatest issue. All of our defenders are similar, all of our midfielders are similar, all of our wide forwards are similar and all of our strikers are similar! We have no options and glaring deficiencies!

If we had a near head centre half, a physical box to box midfielder and a couple of speedy wide forwards then all of the other players would look much better. That is on Smith.

Smith scouted Marvelous and TRz on several occasions, he is not blameless for the signings  

Just now, Blasterpocket68 said:

Im not so sure , 8 games in a very condensed period for any manager to work with , i would give it to JT until the end of the season nothing to loose now!

I think it will be JT but would he change much ,  certainly would prefer him to smith as we need to make a change to stand a chance in my view 

Ill be honest i just cannot see them sackjng smith. We are stuck with him until end of season. 

I think he is playing for whether he starts mext season with us. I thunk he will be sacked in the summer.if we are in the championship  i think we should gk for hughton or jokanovic. Both winners in the championship 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I tend to agree actually. This recruitment drive ( if you think our relegation year a few years back was bad ) has been utterly woeful. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I saw the way we played v Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs , Man U and went toe to toe with them only losing out due to late errors ,  the team I’ve watched since December has lacked that fight and passion - smith is not getting the best from them now  

I really don’t know where you go from here with Smith. He’s shown us on numerous occasions this season he has absolutely no idea what he’s doing when that first whistle is blown. 

He doesn’t ever change things and if he does, it’s just a token gesture around the 60th minute mark when it’s either too late or it’s just a like for like swap that won’t affect things. 

We’re crap. Make no mistake about it. Our recruitment is crap and our squad is largely crap. But we’ve got ourselves into winning positions on numerous occasions this season, sometimes against the run of play, and we’ve failed to hold onto the lead due to Smiths inability to see things need freshening up or we need to change tact to stifle the opposition. 

I don’t think we belong in this league, but our manager is hammering the nails into his own coffin by making so many wrong in-game decisions. 

I like Smith, I like the sense Purslow speaks. Hell, I like Pitarch after the scenes at full time at the hawthorns last year but my god they’re making a terrible mess of this when they’ve been backed so heavily by the owners. 

We may survive by the grace of god, but I don’t think I want any of them managing affairs next season. This season has been a disaster all things considered. 

Edited by Delphinho123

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Ill be honest i just cannot see them sackjng smith. We are stuck with him until end of season. 

I think he is playing for whether he starts mext season with us. I thunk he will be sacked in the summer.if we are in the championship  i think we should gk for hughton or jokanovic. Both winners in the championship 

Jokanovic had major issues at Fulham the year they lost in the semis in the playoffs because of how little input he was getting to sign players. They gave him more say the following year and went up and then bought about 500 players in their PL season, many who he didn't want and it all went tits up.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We are stuck with him next season too. Board is deluded.

The trouble with Jokanović is that he's a proven failure in the premier league, if we appoint a new manager as a championship club we want someone who's not only going to do well in that division but also in the premier league, we have to think more long term. Wolves got Nuno, Newcastle Benitez, and Leeds Bielsa, if we're serious we need someone of a similar pedigree.

Â