Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Feel sorry for him given the "talent" at his disposal but playing Jack out wide all season is just pure idiocy. Play Elmo as a winger if you have to but get Jack in the centre where he can get on the ball. He's our only proper footballer.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

who cares? Of course there are better managers than smith out there. What does this even matter?

Because it shows how shit a job smith is doing but your defeneding him bizarrely. 

There is absolutely no foundatin for smith to stay qhile we continue to show such shit performances.

The guys lost the dressing room im almost certain of that.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Because it shows how shit a job smith is doing but your defeneding him bizarrely. 

There is absolutely no foundatin for smith to stay qhile we continue to show such shit performances.

The guys lost the dressing room im almost certain of that.

So what position would you currently be happy with?

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That's some good rewriting of history. To take away credit for achieving what we did last season, takes away anything your argument has going for it.

It just seems anti smith for the sake of it. 

Not taking away credit from smith but credit mainly the players , without grealish we won one in 12 under smith so let’s not forget that , grealish was far and away the best player in the league - I’m grateful for smiths input but he served his purpose and has been shown to be very poor at this level . 

you seem to think smith is the reason we got up - grealish was undoubtedly the difference in the run in along with other quality like Abraham , mings, Mcginn .

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So you agree with me than farke is better than smith?

yep but to the best of my knowledge, farke wasn't available when we appointed smith. what's the point in comparing managers that we've never been even linked to? and funnily enough you've chosen the manager of the 1 team in the league that's shitter than us. you may as well write

"so you agree with me that pep is better than smith?" or

"so you agree with me that ancelotti is better than smith"

nuno, wilder, etc etc...the farke/smith debate is totally irrelivant

Regardless of what smith did or didn’t do last season it’s this season and the here and now that matters - his management has been woeful at this level and he should have gone after the Watford game in December .

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not taking away credit from smith but credit mainly the players , without grealish we won one in 12 under smith so let’s not forget that , grealish was far and away the best player in the league - I’m grateful for smiths input but he served his purpose and has been shown to be very poor at this level . 

you seem to think smith is the reason we got up - grealish was undoubtedly the difference in the run in along with other quality like Abraham , mings, Mcginn .

we did this under bruce, and we're doing it again under smith. i honeslty believe, and i have said it before when bruce was getting pelters, that we are the only fanbase that actually makes excuses for good performances. are you aware of your hypocracy here? so presumably mings, jack and mcginn are the reason we're doing poorly now?

villa do well = down to the players

villa do crap = down to the manager

48 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You're leading the game and limiting their chances, despite heavily struggling with possession. 

If you change it up to 5 at the back, as  someone suggested, how does that help us with possession further up the pitch? It works against that by taking a player away from up there, pushes us deeper and invites more pressure. It also removes an attacking outlet, so if we concede we've even less chance of getting back into it. 

There's a reason you don't sit on a one goal lead and go ultra defensive for 45 minutes, especially when your defence isn't a strong point. 

I'd like to see 4-2-3-1 with Jota or Jack in the 10 role. And use Luiz and Nakamba as CDM'S.

By doing this you would get Jack closer to Davis.

11 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We had Grealish the previous 2 years. We also had those players under Bruce when he was sacked as we got a point at home to Preston. 

Most fans accepted promotion was not really on the cards when Smith came in. He inherited a mess, having to recall two players back who had been loaned out just months before. 

We had good players but Smith played a big part in getting us up. How can you give him little credit when the players are good and now blame him when the players are poor?

12 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Regardless of what smith did or didn’t do last season it’s this season and the here and now that matters - his management has been woeful at this level and he should have gone after the Watford game in December .

Smith haven't taken us anywhere if we are relegated. We would be back where we were and lost our best players.

Still cannot believe what I witnessed yesterday and (not here) the amount of people defending that "dogged display"
That was far worst than anything Mcleish dare serve up, anything Lambert dumped out. For a supposed football man it was an abomination.

Mcginn - 8 passes.
Hourihane - 15 passes.

The entire game, just 9 outfield players camped on the outside of our box, just booting the ball into the stands or down the channel....to nobody.

That just might have been the most pathetic footballing display I have witnessed. I have watched us being outplayed by a team on fire, I have seen us ripped about 8-0. Not many times have I witnessed such an acceptance to just be passive, and play absolute anti football.

Hang your head in shame Deano. I didn't feel that embarrassed when we got pumped 3-0 at home to Wigan.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We had Grealish the previous 2 years. We also had those players under Bruce when he was sacked as we got a point at home to Preston. 

Most fans accepted promotion was not really on the cards when Smith came in. He inherited a mess, having to recall two players back who had been loaned out just months before. 

We had good players but Smith played a big part in getting us up. How can you give him little credit when the players are good and now blame him when the players are poor?

Regardless of what smith did or didn’t do last season it’s this season and the here and now that matters - his management has been woeful at this level and he should have gone after the Watford game in December .

The awkward moment when we've actually been much WORSE since Wesley "can't even control a ball" Moraes has been out.

Apparently he was the one handicapping the team? Defense starts from attack etc... lol

Again, we could have Christiano Ronaldo up top amongst the shower and he wouldn't get a sniff.

Out setup, shape, and team selection is consistently dire.

• Like 3

We have gone backwards as the seasons progressed and look devoid of ideas and cannot even get the basics right. All season midfield balance has been wrong and his in game management is non existent. Lockdown was the time for self reflection and to try and learn but all I’m seeing is the same old shit as before with no progress in approach, tactics in game play or management. He is what he is and for me that isn’t a prem manager. There is an argument that he deserves another shot at promotion which is a fair point but I’ve seen nothing in terms of progression this season that he deserves it personally and would need replacing IMO if we got promoted. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If the measure is Steve Bruce the ceiling isn't very high.

Edited by villalad21

26 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

we did this under bruce, and we're doing it again under smith. i honeslty believe, and i have said it before when bruce was getting pelters, that we are the only fanbase that actually makes excuses for good performances. are you aware of your hypocracy here? so presumably mings, jack and mcginn are the reason we're doing poorly now?

villa do well = down to the players

villa do crap = down to the manager

Maybe it’s skipped your attention but we are now in a different division , players and managers who may have been good enough in the championship are not at this level . 
smith has been appalling in this league and should have gone months ago 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

If the measure if Steve Bruce the ceiling isn't very high.

Was a nice added kick in the teeth when they played his gloating interview about their win right after the tripe we served up on BEIN Sports.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

13 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Because loyalty and style of play mean more than desperately staying in the premier league. Why are you so desperate to finish 17th? 

This is an unbelievable statement . As  Villa fans I would like the club to remain in the premier league, its where we belong, its where the big businesses (Unfortunately) of football need to be. Loyalty style of play are nice to haves , we needed to just survive this season . We have not done that  we had to invest in players . Investing in a completely new team  and trying to play open expansive football was a recipe for disaster. We just had to survive . This was clear 10 games into the season nothing changed!

Loyalty ? Style of play had nothing to do with the objectives this season! Finishing 17th was the GOAL and should of been the sole objective and strategy. of the management  team!

Â