Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I thought this Chelsea game was supposed to be win or bust for Smith.

Did the board turn soft on him because of a 3 month break?

Most clubs sack managers when there's an international break looming. We potted Sherwood just before November internationals IIRC and Bruce and Di Matteo both went before October break.

After that Chelsea game there was going to be 3 week gap with the Newcastle game moved. I really think a problem now is how condensed the schedule is with games every 3-4 days so hardly any chance to properly drill players into way you want as it's just about rest and recovery.

Can't sack him now as there would be no time for a new manager to change things, we might not even have a manager in mind, so by the time he was appointed we could have played another three games and who knows where we'd be then. I think the only way we could change manager now is if we gave the job to Terry until the end of the season, or someone else already at the club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I dont think its unbelievable, we could of won that game really. Like many other games it's the fact we can not produce a win from us being in front and people are annoyed at that and rightly so.

I would love to stick with Smith but he won't change things, to stubborn, to ignorant to see what needs to be done. At this stage I'd think more of him now if he went and dropped the Wingers to trying new things. Ghazi and Trezegeut for one need a reminder there places are not secure, so bring others on in there place and play some Youth. Smith has to go all out to make the midfield working properly, reckon if our defence had of managed to get a breather at least every 10-15 minutes for at least five minutes, the pressure would of been took down a notch, the pressure to our defence was so high that they looked as though they'd just been given a kilo of coke to snort.  Constant pressure and bombardment of our defence is losing us games, now where do we start in freeing some of that pressure for one?? As someone suggested, is that we should be running out to the more, not sitting on the box and inviting pressure. Another and I've said it before is drop the Wingers and at another com and attacking midfielder to a more toned formation, solid enough it can take the pressure were being dealt.

As much as I hate to say this, Smith us bringing this on himself and our players all need to show up and equally stop inviting this mess onto themselves, securing the points as they start to make a game look winnable, then go turning it all into an epic loss really is a guaranteed screw up. In fact we could all now get god damn rich off of bets placed on us to lose if we got in front first

It's a shame it really is that were now at this point where Smith has to get real and decide where he wants to be next season, change a few things and he may just save his job, dont and we will be saying goodbye and thank you for your time Mr Smith.

Those  2 goals today was poor,from us, considering we kept them out for so long in the game.

• Ist was an overload on the back post and Konsa had one player ,but pulinsic was free........John McGinn was just ball watching, instead of reading the situation and helping Konsa at the back post.
  • 2nd Giroud had oodles of our players around him, no one closed him down sufficiently.

It was so easy.......so now we have slipped in to this comotose state where we have been beaten once again by one goal.....Chelsea, for all their superior class, have taken 6 points for the sake of 2 goals......its madness.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, thabucks said:

He has to ditch 433 and either switch to 3412 or 41212... We need Grealish roaming behind Davis & Samatta. McGinn & Douglas Luiz - whose been our best player past 2 games by a mile. Than either Nakamba or extra CB. That’s one of the reasons I think his time is up and has been found out somewhat  and just has no ideas left ... we have no spirit no pattern of play or game plan. Your telling me collectively those McGinn, Luiz, the wingers when they can be bothered have no creativity other than give it to Jack ? ?? Is it a instruction or are they just scared and don’t want to responsibility ? Do we have a spirts psychologist btw?    

I wish it was a formation that we have wrong, but i don't think it is necessarily.

This lot haven't got it in them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Those  2 goals today was poor, considering we kept them out for so long in the game.

• Ist was an overload on the back post and Konsa had one player ,but pulinsic was free........John McGinn was just ball watching, instead of reading the situation and helping Konsa at the back post.
  • 2nd Giroud had oodles of our players around him, no one closed him down sufficiently.

It was so easy.......so now we have slipped in to this comotose state where we have been beaten once again by one goal.....Chelsea, for all their superior class, have taken 6 points for the sake of 2 goals......its madness.

Not sure if you watched MOTD 2 TRO but some great analysis from Murphy on how Chelsea constantly played to drag Targett infield and create space for them to cross from the right which eventually lead to the 1-1.

Amazing how much space you can create just playing quick 1-2s and triangles. Targett and Jack didn't have a clue where they were on the left so many times. Also were critical of how we got so many behind the ball but no one wanted to tackle or disrupt Chelsea's passing, not the first time that's been levelled against us this season.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not sure if you watched MOTD 2 TRO but some great analysis from Murphy on how Chelsea constantly played to drag Targett infield and create space for them to cross from the right which eventually lead to the 1-1.

Amazing how much space you can create just playing quick 1-2s and triangles. Targett and Jack didn't have a clue where they were on the left so many times. Also were critical of how we got so many behind the ball but no one wanted to tackle or disrupt Chelsea's passing, not the first time that's been levelled against us this season.

fair comment....but it takes work and effort, not mention a bit of nous.

I have been saying that for some time.....someone should break out and get their foot in.

This team just make it so easy to score against them.

Edited by TRO

Smith has got no ideas because he sticks with the same through thick and thin, if he changed it up a d found a change of pace, he may find new ideas but hes got to let go of the Wingers or hes doomed. he wants attacking football yet he can not make that happening while ever were backed in our own defence, so until he finds away of having possession backing our court the majority of the game,theres no point even thinking about attacking football. 

Smith has to be told by Purslow or the Owners that enough is enough, try something different now. God knows what JT does here at Villa, looks like he's a spectator and just passing the time by, part of me things he's waiting to see if he can fall into the job and give it ago, imagine that one uh, we get relegated, JT takes over and takes us back up, that would be crazy. 

I like Smith but he has to try something new now, if hes not going to then I want him gone, no matter how much time passes.

Ghazi, Trezegeut and Jota can not work the wings, they are not good enough for the premier and to face premier standard opponents and do all the tasks required is not going to happen, they have failed to secure the Wings at nearly at every turn this season. It really shows the work that is required on the Wings is nothing short of extreme, it's so challanging that we have three failed players out of four who couldn't make it work. 

Midfield, it is time I'm afraid if we stay up to move some of the players into subs roles and look for much better, Hourihane can not cut it. Luiz for past two games has stepped up so much that he looks complete different and I hope that is him now starting to unlock. McGinn so far is quiet but that's to be expected. Grealish is looking lost these past couple of games but then he will all of a sudden get upto speed and start being a nuisance again.

We lack firepower, firepower is a big issue, we put our chips on way to many players we knew nothing about, were struggling to get them into shooting positions and if by any chance they manage that the shot is botched. We can bet now our CB's at times will have more headers than our forwards will see shots on target, it's sad. We would prob have more luck shoving Hause up front the way we are going lol.

Wonder if the Owners will be flying in at some point, surely they must see that its getting to that time they have to act and have a sit down with Smith and CO.

• Like 1

Thought the commentator on Friday said that Southampton play 4-2-2-2  ... it’s really 4-4-2 but they press high and close the ball down ... they switched to this after the Leicester thrashing ... when an attack breaks down they press and this gives the back four some extra reassurance, as they are not forced to defend 

not suggesting they are benchmark we should aspire to but  with the lack of decent wide players it’s probably a formation that would suit us better than what we play at the moment 

some great detail on how they play Here

The players were often all over the place and seemed to understand little about what they needed to do. Hasenhüttl took the international break to restructure how he’s managed matches this season and his tactics going into matches. His analysis showed that it was clear a more consistent style was needed. The stability the 4-4-2 brings, along with the fine form of several Southampton players, has brought them up in the table and it will be very unlikely that they’ll get relegated, a possibility that was on the table a couple of months ago.

McGinn and Luiz could do the defensive pressing role they seem to have the engines for it , Jack obviously joins the 4 with one other ( I’m struggling but let’s say El Ghazi is the best of a terrible bunch )

then Davis and Samatta up top 

it won’t happen of course but it would be nice to see if it worked 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

This is spot on. I commented in the match thread how Chelsea were absolutely ruling us down their right side.

Mind you, the other side wasn’t much better... ☹️

Edited by briny_ear

Hasenhuttl was a really good pick up for them. Did well in the Bundesliga and after the shambles of losing 9-0 to Leicester they've been in pretty good form and will stay up comfortably.

We certainly need to pick up a manager who's getting good results in a major euro league. Much easier to do that in the premier league though.

• Like 1

I had a bad feeling about this game the moment I saw we were playing the same starting 11 as the game on Wednesday.

We are never going to make it through this string of fixtures unless we rotate players every game.

The obvious change was to bring Nakamba in. Yes he’s been poor, but McGinn isn’t match fit, and Hourihane will be more dangerous against Newcastle.

On top of that, by not rotating the team at all, he made it easy for Chelsea to nail their game plan from the outset.

Unless Smith sorts this out, we’ll start having injuries. If you’ve seen any of the Bundesliga games, it’s a dead cert once you get to the third or fourth fixture. Most players’ bodies just can’t handle the volume of games.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

What position would you currently be happy with?

Maybe a position where we have won a few games? Oh and let’s not forget sheff United had a goal incorrectly disallowed so it should be six straight defeats.

smith is really draining the life out of me villa relatedness like lambert did. His footballs shit, his signings are shit And his general performance has been poor. Nice guy but way out of his depth

• Like 2

The in-game management is attrocious. Yesterday being yet another prime example. He conveys himself to be the type who is meticulous in analysing each detail of an opponent, etc., but there is zero evidence when it comes to matchday.

We had an unbelievable chance yesterday to take a very valuable point or even 3 to take us out the bottom 3 and get the inevitable shot in the arm we desperately need for the last 8 games.

How often do you get the luxury of being able to observe the opening 45 mins, see your side get absolutely dominated, have no posession, and come in with a 1-0 lead?

You basically get 15 mins to brief the team on what you’ve seen, fix what hasnt worked, identify and nullify their threat, surprise them and upset the balance of play with a change of formation. 

Azpilicueta and Alonso had all the time and space they wanted attacking the flanks first half so why would you not stick Elmo on at HT and revert to 5 at the back. We had the personnel. That makes them have to play through the middle a bit more and shores up the back. Its 2 games back, 2 missed chances again. Story of the season, we arent getting out of this mess, quality simply isnt there nor a proactive manager to give us a chance. Massive shame this season has been. Its been an absolute disaster since that Watford home game.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Cup win against Leicester. First game if the season, Liverpool game without Grealish. The team have performed and proved there worth. 

The manager has proved nothing, he still dont know what his best team is with 8 games to go.

Watching MOTD now as we speak, he had no reaction to the goals what so ever, worryingly.

So a handful of occasions means we should be able to do it on a consistent basis?

If a lower league team beat a prem team in the cup, their fans should then demand promotion?

We signed one proven premier league player in Heaton. We have one player in Jack, who has proved he is a consistently good Premier league player. The rest have done nothing for fans to be able to confidently say they should be out the bottom 3. 

I wonder if Bournemouth fans are turning on Eddie Howe or Norwich fans turning on their manager? 

I knew eventually we'd resort back to form and be like this. Its a shame. 

4-4-Grealish-1 ...... Yes I play football manager 😝.

It would make us defensively better and play Jack where he should be played. We couldn't be any more impotent in attack than we are now, so that would probably improve too. 

Get rid of wingers, play Elmo on the right and CH on the left, chuck in Luiz and McGinn. Stack that midfield, release Jack and let him do his thing.

Tongue in cheek, yes ..... Pretty sure it would work though....

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

The in-game management is attrocious. Yesterday being yet another prime example. He conveys himself to be the type who is meticulous in analysing each detail of an opponent, etc., but there is zero evidence when it comes to matchday.

We had an unbelievable chance yesterday to take a very valuable point or even 3 to take us out the bottom 3 and get the inevitable shot in the arm we desperately need for the last 8 games.

How often do you get the luxury of being able to observe the opening 45 mins, see your side get absolutely dominated, have no posession, and come in with a 1-0 lead?

You basically get 15 mins to brief the team on what you’ve seen, fix what hasnt worked, identify and nullify their threat, surprise them and upset the balance of play with a change of formation. 

Azpilicueta and Alonso had all the time and space they wanted attacking the flanks first half so why would you not stick Elmo on at HT and revert to 5 at the back. We had the personnel. That makes them have to play through the middle a bit more and shores up the back. Its 2 games back, 2 missed chances again. Story of the season, we arent getting out of this mess, quality simply isnt there nor a proactive manager to give us a chance. Massive shame this season has been. Its been an absolute disaster since that Watford home game.

Yes when we went 1 nil up it made no sense being backed up in our defence to keep playing 4-3-3, we should of switched. We should of protected the goal or at least tried to. How can you protect that goal if your still playing wingers while being backed up all game and can't even get up the field, subs should of been brought on and the necessary adjustments made to change things up.

TRO says somewhere above that its not formation its the playwrs they are just not good enough, i do think hes right but Smith doesnt help the situation by having our player's play a stressful formation from rhe get go.

We are being made to look a laughing stock in this league, it's as almost that teams are not even bothered or a tiny bit scared if they go behind a goal. Teams don't get nervous because they are now used to saying no doubt (oh well we will get one back and another on top of that before games end), we don't have any confidence like that. We are a complete set of fools I'm that pitch because we can't even do it once and fight for a victory.

We're in a mess a filthy big mess.

I remember when i said last season if we get promoted id buy fifa 20, it worked however daft it sounds lol. I said I won't be buying fifa 21 this time round, but maybe if I say if we survive I'll buy it so you know what if we survive I'll buy fifa 21. Now the footballing gods have to answer my Prayer..

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

'Just go inside and fix it in 15, simple as that' - never mind that there's another team playing, never mind that team has much, much better players than us and we could barely get the ball off them the whole game.

I do wonder what planet you guys live on sometime. 

I hate to break this to you, but we do not have the squad to go toe-to-toe with top 4 teams. The parts aren't there. 

A rebuild project of this size was always going to be a long shot in one season. The chances of getting all the players we needed and that they would all work out, were miniscule.

When Smith had a good team at his disposal, he was able to do very good things. With a not good enough team, he's struggling, as would the vast majority of managers in his position. 

You guys need to accept that we're probably going down. It's not the end of the club or the world, we tried and it was too big of a task this time round. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

'Just go inside and fix it in 15, simple as that' - never mind that there's another team playing, never mind that team has much, much better players than us and we could barely get the ball off them the whole game.

I do wonder what planet you guys live on sometime. 

I hate to break this to you, but we do not have the squad to go toe-to-toe with top 4 teams. The parts aren't there. 

A rebuild project of this size was always going to be a long shot in one season. The chances of getting all the players we needed and that they would all work out, were miniscule.

When Smith had a good team at his disposal, he was able to do very good things. With a not good enough team, he's struggling, as would the vast majority of managers in his position. 

You guys need to accept that we're probably going down. It's not the end of the club or the world, we tried and it was too big of a task this time round. 

So you just come back out change nothing and let the pattern of the first half continue? Surely you try something different to counter absolute domination?

• Like 1

Â