Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Not sure changing manager right now would do much good as I think we're down regardless, but is Smith really the man to take us forward long-term? Even if he can get us straight back up, we'll be in the exact same position two years from now.

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I don't get this attitude. There are 7 or 8 teams that could realistically go down. We are one of the 3 favourites for the drop, but it's not like the bookies have stopped taking money on it.

Earlier in the season it looked like Southampton were definitely going down. Teams go through spells of good and bad form.

Problem is, we've been in bad form for months and have looked extremely mentally fragile all season.

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Not sure changing manager right now would do much good as I think we're down regardless, but is Smith really the man to take us forward long-term? Even if he can get us straight back up, we'll be in the exact same position two years from now.

Only if we do another terrible recruitment job. 

Smith has not been amazing but he hasn't been the issue this year. 

I can't believe anyone looks at our squad and thinks, yeah, these boys should be doing so much more. 

It was an awful summer and we couldn't fix it in January.

• Like 1

Not just the results but the pathetic performances too - madness from the management to set the team up so open this season - at this level you will get ripped apart hence most games 20 plus shots -  watford and West Ham made the managerial change and have prospered - for me villa Bournemouth and Norwich will drop now .

we don’t have the passion or fight to get out of this - our star players know they will get snapped up by better teams and our manager is tactically inept at this level . 

let’s enjoy Wembley as it could be a long time before we get another visit there . 

20 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'd argue we would be more in a Sheffield United, or Wolves position to be fair.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Graham t said:

Blimey , if that is the only example of his tactical nous this season then it is no surprise that we are struggling. Surely he  has more than one result all season in his locker? Plenty more examples when he has got it hopelessly wrong unfortunately . I expect him to pick the usual suspects and hope for the best.....

ATB

VLD.

Eh you said last time

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I don't get this attitude. There are 7 or 8 teams that could realistically go down. We are one of the 3 favourites for the drop, but it's not like the bookies have stopped taking money on it.

Earlier in the season it looked like Southampton were definitely going down. Teams go through spells of good and bad form.

In 25 games we haven’t looked like going on any kind of run. We are done and in the main due to the incompetence of Smith. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jim said:

In 25 games we haven’t looked like going on any kind of run. We are done and in the main due to the incompetence of Smith. 

Cool, well unlike you, I can’t see into the future so I’ll just have to wait and find out.

I would say though that we are a game in hand away from 16th...

And we were 8th in the form table just last month, so your premise here is wrong anyway.

McGinn coming back is going to be crucial...  

We're playing a lot like we were last season without Jack, disjointed, unorganized, and unlikely to make things happen all over the pitch.  Jack came back and we went on that marvelous run...  We really fell off when we lost McGinn this season and hopefully his presence back in the team will help inspire the squad like Jack's return last year did.

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Cool, well unlike you, I can’t see into the future so I’ll just have to wait and find out.

I would say though that we are a game in hand away from 16th...

And we were 8th in the form table just last month, so your premise here is wrong anyway.

I don’t need a crystal ball, the last 25 games says it all. I’ll happily eat crow in May IF I’m wrong. But I won’t be. 

People are talking as if we've been rubbish all season, if that was the case we'd be well adrift of safety by now. I've just gone through the last twelve years of the premier league and on only two occasions in that time has twenty-five points not been enough to keep a team out of the bottom three after twenty-eight games, in other words most seasons we wouldn't even be in the bottom three at the moment, and we haven't even played twenty-eight games ourselves yet.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jim said:

I don’t need a crystal ball, the last 25 games says it all. I’ll happily eat crow in May IF I’m wrong. But I won’t be. 

Fair enough. I’d say you’re more likely than not to be right, but it’s nowhere near as clear cut as you’re suggesting. I reckon we’re not far off 50/50 to survive. There will be a few surprise results in the run in, we’ll be involved in one or two of them. That’s the nature of football.

Â