Dean Smith

Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

How many Sheffield united players get into Everton's team??

Our team had enough to beat a quality Leicester team. We should have enough to stay in the Prem. 

we have players that seem to find a bit of form once in every five or six games, we need at least four or five players to play well in any one game for us to get a win or even a draw and the remaining players to 'not make mistakes that lead to goals'.

The issue is the above rarely happens, Grealish plays well most games, the rest occasionally might perform well for one half or 20 mins but we are woefully inconsistent and our line up changes so often that few players get a chance to actually achieve form and consistency. We mostly seem to perform well as a team for about 10-20 mins a game.

Smith should have tried to work out a way to not lose rather than trying to win with the same players and tactics till we reached the lows we are now seeing (appreciate that he did finally change formation but that worked for one match and we've been defensively woeful ever since).

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah good point, more than one way to skin the staying in the premier league cat, but for me what you mention is another reason to keep Smith. The blades are reaping the rewards of long term stability and sticking to a long term project. 

For all the talk of sheffield utd doing well they are basically Newcastle playing "Bruceball". First & foremost they set up not to concede goals and they have done this very well indeed. They have only conceded 25 (only liverpool have conceded fewer) compared to our 52. They do not overwhelm teams with passing & posession, They are not outscoring teams at a massive rate (they have only scored 29, only 5 teams have scored fewer) many of their games they have much less of the ball & fewer shots than the opposition often only having 35-40% and 3 shots on target yet they are still picking up points because they are not conceding.

Look at the bruce, newcastle thread it is full of people saying they shouldn't have as many points as they have, it isnt sustainable, it's shit but ask any blades fan if it's shit.

We are basically going into every game needing to score 2 or 3 goals to even stand a chance of getting a point, That isn't sustainable...

I am fairly sure that if you asked 100 football fans to name even 5 of their players they would struggle

I would love a 1-0 win against palace where we only have 39% of the ball & 3 shots & gladly swap some of our better performing games against the bigger boys where we ended up with sod all for a boring draw here & there

The daft thing is that one of the few times they have actually come unstuck this season was actually at home against Newcastle where they didn't seem to cope very well playing against their own tactics and lost 2-0 despite Newcastle barely touching the ball (27%)

There is a great myth that we are playing this Dean Smith attacking free flowing football, plenty of people saying they would rather be relagated than have Big Sam in charge playing his crap football despite us generally being shit & by far one of the worst teams to watch for the majority of the season.

We will get shat on from a great height on Sunday, we are going down and i wouldn't be suprised if we fail to win more than 1 more game for the rest of the season.

My glass is well & truly half empty today 😕

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

For all the talk of sheffield utd doing well they are basically Newcastle playing "Bruceball". First & foremost they set up not to concede goals and they have done this very well indeed. They have only conceded 25 (only liverpool have conceded fewer) compared to our 52. They do not overwhelm teams with passing & posession, They are not outscoring teams at a massive rate (they have only scored 29, only 5 teams have scored fewer) many of their games they have much less of the ball & fewer shots than the opposition often only having 35-40% and 3 shots on target yet they are still picking up points because they are not conceding.

Look at the bruce, newcastle thread it is full of people saying they shouldn't have as many points as they have, it isnt sustainable, it's shit but ask any blades fan if it's shit.

We are basically going into every game needing to score 2 or 3 goals to even stand a chance of getting a point, That isn't sustainable...

I am fairly sure that if you asked 100 football fans to name even 5 of their players they would struggle

I would love a 1-0 win against palace where we only have 39% of the ball & 3 shots & gladly swap some of our better performing games against the bigger boys where we ended up with sod all for a boring draw here & there

The daft thing is that one of the few times they have actually come unstuck this season was actually at home against Newcastle where they didn't seem to cope very well playing against their own tactics and lost 2-0 despite Newcastle barely touching the ball (27%)

There is a great myth that we are playing this Dean Smith attacking free flowing football, plenty of people saying they would rather be relagated than have Big Sam in charge playing his crap football despite us generally being shit & by far one of the worst teams to watch for the majority of the season.

We will get shat on from a great height on Sunday, we are going down and i wouldn't be suprised if we fail to win more than 1 more game for the rest of the season.

Great post. I just kinda hope you’re wrong! 

2 hours ago, vreitti said:

I'll second that. I think most of us want to believe, but Smith, et.co. are making this ever so hard.

I think we all accept our players are fairly average with some not being good enough for this division, but to not change the way you play is criminal. This nonsense of playing out from the back when we just don't have the central midfielders of the defenders to do it, is causing us so many issues. I've mentioned it a few times now but just get it up there and go from there!

• Like 4

Comparing Wilder to Bruce is just plain wrong IMO. Sheffield United, if anything, are incredibly well-organised. Bruce on the other hand, doesn't set up defensively or attacking or anything, really. He just chucks a load of players on the pitch and relies on the talented ones to do their thing.

• Like 3

On 25/02/2020 at 20:40, romavillan said:

Yeah good point, more than one way to skin the staying in the premier league cat, but for me what you mention is another reason to keep Smith. The blades are reaping the rewards of long term stability and sticking to a long term project. 

I woulds argue the exact the opposite!

Wilder has benefited from long term success and has built organised structured teams . He starts building from the back and has players that fit a position. They are not the mos attractive players but they fit a purpose and clear strategy thats coach-able  adaptable  and is effective. We have  a floundering coaching set up that is constantly in flux. No pattern no regular formation but most importantly no improvement .

Long term stability cant be built on poor foundations. When the basic defending as a team strategy is still not applied you have to start asking what is going on at the training ground

On 25/02/2020 at 21:04, LakotaDakota said:

Sadly i agree - I believe we potentially had enough to stay up given the teams around this season. However the way we continually play so open week in and week out is EMBARRASSING. I do not understand why we have continued in this vain!! 

Its still in our own hands to survive , but given we have not seen any real sustained improvement other than a good  add hoc 40 minutes i just do not see it. 12 points from 11 games  should be enough but i do not know where they will come from given the previous  25 points from 27 games.   

2 hours ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

I woulds argue the exact the opposite!

Wilder has benefited from long term success and has built organised structured teams . He starts building from the back and has players that fit a position. They are not the mos attractive players but they fit a purpose and clear strategy thats coach-able  adaptable  and is effective. We have  a floundering coaching set up that is constantly in flux. No pattern no regular formation but most importantly no improvement .

Long term stability cant be built on poor foundations. When the basic defending as a team strategy is still not applied you have to start asking what is going on at the training ground

"most importantly no improvement" - interesting seeing as the coaching team took over when we were 15th in the Championship.

My point is Sheffield United and Wilder have been pulling in the same direction for a few years, they have benefitted from sticking with Wilder and having clear goals.

Our foundations are poor? Getting promoted a year before schedule was poor? We only started laying the foundations last summer when we had twenty odd players leave and over a dozen come in. All apart from possibly a couple at below market rates for players at this level. We are still not in the relegation places despite mixed recent performances and poor form. That would mean we are on track to achieve the only goal for this season, 17th or above if possible.

Sacking Smith is flying in the face of everything the owners have been saying they want to do at the club. 

• Like 2

On 25/02/2020 at 21:04, LakotaDakota said:

yep pretty much my thoughts.

i think smith was, and still is, naive in terms of wanting to stick to his guns, playing attacking football. the problem is that anyone can now look at how southampton neutralised jack and know that's how easy it is to stop us. so i am inclined to agree with you with your 'no more than 1 more win' prediction.

59 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Oh my sir no. No they are not.

Other than a few more passes there isnt a great deal in it. They are both defensive teams set up to try not to concede.

Average Posession : Sheff 44.9 - Newc 39.8

Shots per game : Sheff 10.2 - Newc 9.8

Shots on target per game : Sheff 3.3 - Newc 3.2

Passes per game : Sheff 396.8 - Newc 320.8

Key passes per game : Sheff 7.6 - Newc 7.3

Pass completion % Sheff 74.2 - Newc 74.1

Assists per game : Sheff 0.6 - Newc 0.6

Disposessed per game : Sheff 8.1 - Newc 7.6

Unsuccessful touches per game : Sheff 14.6 - Newc 16.3

Goals Per game : Sheff 1.07 - Newc 0.89

Faied to Score : Sheff 7 - Newc 10

Tackles per game : Sheff 16.9 - Newc 16.1

Interceptions per game : Sheff 11.4 - Newc 11.2

Clearances per game : Sheff 23.6 - Newc 27.1

Fouls per game : Sheff 10.9 - Newc 9.3

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Other than a few more passes there isnt a great deal in it. They are both defensive teams set up to try not to concede.

Average Posession : Sheff 44.9 - Newc 39.8

Shots per game : Sheff 10.2 - Newc 9.8

Shots on target per game : Sheff 3.3 - Newc 3.2

Passes per game : Sheff 396.8 - Newc 320.8

Key passes per game : Sheff 7.6 - Newc 7.3

Pass completion % Sheff 74.2 - Newc 74.1

Assists per game : Sheff 0.6 - Newc 0.6

Disposessed per game : Sheff 8.1 - Newc 7.6

Unsuccessful touches per game : Sheff 14.6 - Newc 16.3

Goals Per game : Sheff 1.07 - Newc 0.89

Faied to Score : Sheff 7 - Newc 10

Tackles per game : Sheff 16.9 - Newc 16.1

Interceptions per game : Sheff 11.4 - Newc 11.2

Clearances per game : Sheff 23.6 - Newc 27.1

Fouls per game : Sheff 10.9 - Newc 9.3

Excuse me but where are the xG figures? They are the single most important stat in football.

11 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Excuse me but where are the xG figures? They are the single most important stat in football.

Ah, you prefer completely meaningless imaginary figures rather than actual figures....

Well her's some i just completely made up

Sheff 16.5 - Newc 16.3

As you can see it is pretty close so they must be the same ;)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Ah, you prefer completely meaningless imaginary figures rather than actual figures....

Well her's some i just completely made up

Sheff 16.5 - Newc 16.3

As you can see it is pretty close so they must be the same ;)

Well according to those figures then it seems Sheff Utd and Newcastle are two very attacking teams. That contradicts everything else you said😛

2 minutes ago, Graham t said:

We are approaching the last few games of the season and our manager still does not know his best team ,or which tactics to use to suit them .Says it all for me.

ATB

VLD.

No one knows our best team. Our players are completely hit and miss each week. No one apart from Grealish is consistently performing at a "good" level. 

• Like 3

Sheffield United have actual tactics and a game plan, whereas Newcastle under Bruce it's just about working hard, getting stuck in and nicking goals from set-piecies and hoping for the occasional bit of individual brilliance. Sheffield United are much more like Wolves in the way they play, very good defensively, very well drilled and organized, can play good football, and they're good on the break.

Â