Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I'll get behind him if he can deliver some consistent performances. That's all I ask. We'll never get anywhere by following up good performances like today with abject capitulations.

Why don't you just get behind him anyway? What have you got to lose?

The thing is we don’t really seem to have a plan. We don’t really play it short. We don’t really play it long. We don’t really play it in behind. We don’t really press. We don’t really play compact. It just seems that there isn’t a plan. 
For what it’s worth I would stick with the formation. Play Konsa at right back to help with defending set plays. Play Davis, Samatta and Grealish as a front three. Press really high and look to get the ball up to Davis early and win the second ball high up the pitch. Short term fix only but we need to mix it up

The team pushed them to the final whistle - give that level of effort we will be fine - lots of positives against a truly great side.

should maybe have left trez on bench and brought Davis on for el ghazi with 2 up top rather than take off Samatta .

down to dean to get that level of effort and desire from the last 11 games 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

lots of positives against a truly great side.

What positives were there exactly?

The only positive today was how well taken the goal was. We defended set pieces poorly. Hoofed the ball aimlessly everytime we got it. Didn't seem to have any game plan whatsoever and were sinking without trace until Stones **** up.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not laying into the team but the praise the performance and indeed Smith is getting is utterly baffling.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Why don't you just get behind him anyway? What have you got to lose?

Depends what you mean by get behind him. I'm behind him in that I want him to be a success, but that doesn't mean I think he's right for us long-term.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

What positives were there exactly?

The only positive today was how well taken the goal was. We defended set pieces poorly. Hoofed the ball aimlessly everytime we got it. Didn't seem to have any game plan whatsoever and were sinking without trace until Stones **** up.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not laying into the team but the praise the performance and indeed Smith is getting is utterly baffling.

Desire effort and commitment was there - Engels a far better option than Hause or Konsa .

midfield competed and luiz and nakamba both played well against world class players , Samatta scored a cracker , thought we looked  better with a back 4 .

far better than the 6-1 last month at villa park 

Big defender of dean. 

But..

Poor decision to not go 2 up top today. 

And I think its poor that we keep switching formations. We should know the best way to play by this point in the season. 

The board have absolutely killed him with the signings they've made though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Desire effort and commitment was there - Engels a far better option than Hause or Konsa .

midfield competed and luiz and nakamba both played well against world class players , Samatta scored a cracker , thought we looked  better with a back 4 .

That's the minimum requirement expected. Desire and effort isn't a game plan.

Like he said all we did was brainlessly hoofing it whenever we got hold of the ball.

What was the tactics? Trying to nick a goal in good old fashion Bruce style?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I would expect desire, effort and commitment from a Sunday league team in a cup final.

The midfield didnt compete. They passed us off the park and the only time we would get the ball was after a missed shot or them putting it out of play.

Basically the only positive I see people coming up with is that we didnt get hammered.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Problem is we see completely different the performances in the league where it matters. Lacklustre, slow, lethargic, tactically poor. Next premier league game I expect a performance like today. 

What does this even mean? Are you praising today’s performance?

Edited by KentVillan

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That's the minimum requirement expected. Desire and effort isn't a game plan.

Like he said all we did was brainlessly hoofing it whenever we got hold of the ball.

What was the tactics? Trying to nick a goal in good old fashion Bruce style?

I’m no great fan of smith and think he is lucky to still be here but I’m not going to call for his head for losing 2-1 against city who have one of the best teams in Europe . 
‘I am ok with today’s game - it was the display v saints and Bournemouth that he should have done much better - we are better with a back 4 - let’s see how we go from here . 
‘I don’t think a back 5 will return 

Edited by Eastie

Yes why didn't we get Nakamba and Luiz to play through City's maniacal press? Poor tactics from the manager to not play toe to toe with the team that already put 9 past us this season.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

Â