Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Off the top of my head i was thinking the below.  I had it down not in top 7 but then changed it.  Probably missed some as well.

Spanish

Prem

Championship

French League 1

Turkish

German

German league 2

Dutch

Italian

Russia/Ukrianne

Portuguese 

Why have you put Russia and Ukraine together? They're not the same country or league. 

On 24/02/2020 at 10:09, Eastie said:

It’s all ifs buts and maybes - in the cold light of day we may have gone close against some of the top 10 but we have won 1 in 13 games against the top half and that was burnley , with 1 point in 33 against the top 9 and we are arguably worse now than we were earlier in the season .

With  7 or the top 9 to play it doesn’t bode well - people talk about our home form  but we have lost as many at home as we have won and still have 5 of the top 8 to visit villa park - for me our best hope would be a swift change of manager after next weeks final .

I agree but think its already to late to reverse this situation.What is incredible for me is nothing has really changed all season - good few minutes of good football in one half  - crap second half - next game we do not show up. Repeat Repeat!! We cant defend as a team and the Manager struggles with formations week in week out.  Who is the football brains behind this rebuild , time and patience yes but no improvement of the course of a season at all, NO . Basics defending at this or even championship level is not totally void. You cant continue to set up and be so open and expect anything  at this level. Dean Smith and his coaches have NOT understood this all season.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Last summer was about buying quantity with an impact to quality, this summer if we stay up will be quality over quantity.  We had to do it this way to have a squad for the PL and we knew it would mean fighting a relegation battle this season, surely we all knew that would happen?  If we had brought real quality then our squad wouldve been so thin and that wouldve been even more dangerous....we saw that re our strikers when Wes and Davis were injured and Kodjia had given up.....imagine that, if we had brought quality, in both our midfield and defence.  We've had Mings, Wes, McGinn, Heaton as big injuries this season which is bad enough, imagine that in a much smaller squad, it wouldve been more of disaster.

Should we stay up I feel we still need some quantity, just based on the team that started Saturday we need to have 6 of that starting line up as squad players not starting! We need a much better summer recruitment.

14 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Should we stay up I feel we still need some quantity, just based on the team that started Saturday we need to have 6 of that starting line up as squad players not starting! We need a much better summer recruitment.

Yeah, we'll need both quantity and quality once again.

Reina, Drinky, Baston, Sarkic and Davis (imagine we'll extend his deal) are the ones on expiring contracts. 

But Elmo, Taylor, Lansbury, Jota (and Nyland) have contracts that expire in 2021 and they are all more or less unused fringe players.

That potentially makes it close to 10 new players needed. Some of them will need to be top quality, while others will be squad players.

Edited by sne

Just now, sne said:

Reina, Drinky, Baston, Sarkic and Davis (imagine we'll extend his deal) are the ones on expiring contracts. 

But Elmo, Taylor, Lansbury, Jota (and Nyland) have contracts that expire in 2012 and they are all more or less unused fringe players.

That potentially makes it close to 10 new players needed. Some of them will need to be top quality, while others will be squad players.

We really are slack!!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Even if it is 6, then six 25m players is what we had to spend on 15 players last summer. 

10 minutes ago, sne said:

But Elmo, Taylor, Lansbury, Jota (and Nyland) have contracts that expire in 2012 and they are all more or less unused fringe players.

Seriously though Reina, Drinky, Baston are either loans or short term contracts none deserve to stay, I'd give Davis a new deal. Elmo, Taylor, Lansbury, & Jota should all go just not what we need. So you're probably right 10 new players, but I think 6 need to be decent quality starters. 

Edited by zab6359
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Even if it is 6, then six 25m players is what we had to spend on 15 players last summer. 

Which is realistic, should we stay up. But it would be nice to find some gems we can sell on at a big profit as long term it's probably the only way we can compete.

30 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Unlikely to happen, it’s going to take a number of transfer windows summers. Two or three players could make the world of difference to this team.  Unless you are Liverpool or others you are always likely to have a few weak positions that you try to keep improving.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Why have you put Russia and Ukraine together? They're not the same country or league. 

Ask Putin his opinion on the subject and then after his answer give him your opinion on the subject.😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

Ask Putin his opinion on the subject and then after his answer give him your opinion on the subject.😉

Sorry sparrow, I don't find it funny. He's caused the deaths of thousands and stolen sovereign land. They are not the same. 

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

Fine by me. I don't mind telling him. Just have to wear gloves when opening the door for a few years, after some tourists come to check out St Martin's amazing 18m spire.

Edited by Mazrim

I've said from day 1 that I expected a tough season. We're roughly around where I expected to be at this point considering the upheaval in  the summer. However, what has taken me by surprise is the sheer lack of fight at times, particularly away from home. I really thought we'd seen the last of that when Bruce left and the years before that when we finished rock bottom. That performance on Saturday was nothing short of disgusting. I'm a big Smith fan and wanted him to get the job. However, this  season he has shown a complete lack of ability to change a game tactically and, judging on his comments, can't seem to motivate them either. This is a huge worry going into the last third of the season - we have seen the same repeated patterns pretty from from the beginning of the season. Very good football at times, followed by a turd half arsed performance the next. As much as I like Smith, he's not learning from his mistakes and this brand of football will take us down, we are far far far too open and he's changing nothing. My own thoughts are that regretably we should be sounding out a manager now to come in and save us, I just don't see it happening with Smith at all. Fwiw  if we're thrashed on Sunday with another gutless display I think they'll pull the trigger anyway.

16 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t see today’s game but there was nothing credible about the Man City performance. 

2-0 away is more credible than 1-6 at home.

3 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

I've said from day 1 that I expected a tough season. We're roughly around where I expected to be at this point considering the upheaval in  the summer. However, what has taken me by surprise is the sheer lack of fight at times, particularly away from home. I really thought we'd seen the last of that when Bruce left and the years before that when we finished rock bottom. That performance on Saturday was nothing short of disgusting. I'm a big Smith fan and wanted him to get the job. However, this  season he has shown a complete lack of ability to change a game tactically and, judging on his comments, can't seem to motivate them either. This is a huge worry going into the last third of the season - we have seen the same repeated patterns pretty from from the beginning of the season. Very good football at times, followed by a turd half arsed performance the next. As much as I like Smith, he's not learning from his mistakes and this brand of football will take us down, we are far far far too open and he's changing nothing. My own thoughts are that regretably we should be sounding out a manager now to come in and save us, I just don't see it happening with Smith at all. Fwiw  if we're thrashed on Sunday with another gutless display I think they'll pull the trigger anyway.

Yeah obviously. We finished 5th in the Championship.

I'm with you. But what i didn't expect was getting outworked most weeks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, romavillan said:

So apart from Jack. How many of our players do you think would get in to the Everton side?

How many Sheffield united players get into Everton's team??

Our team had enough to beat a quality Leicester team. We should have enough to stay in the Prem. 

Â