Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Xela said:

Still gutted. 

Perform great at your job for 3 years then have a bad month and you're gone. Harsh world football nowadays. We're in an instant gratification culture now where everything is either brilliant or **** shite. 

I'm feeling a bit disconnected with the club today. It'll pass I'm sure, but i've been stung by the short termism of the powers that be at the club. 

Likewise, in terms of the disconnect.

Although I will give the club some credit that I think this is based on the performance over the calendar year rather than just the last 5 games.

• Like 2

Deano has a class about him. The only good from the decision made is that he’ll be very fondly remembered.

If a losing/bad run had continued then fans may have turned on him and I wouldn’t wanted to have seen that.

Hope he recharges for a bit and enjoys some family time before returning somewhere.

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I hope there are banners and plenty of chants being sung for the Brighton game.

I feel down about it all tbh, what a top bloke and true gent of the game. Dean Smith era will always be remembered fondly. It will hurt to see him manage and be successful at a different club. Massive pressure to get the next appointment right now. It will be truly awful if we get no bounce and have to look back at axing the guy who cared more than anyone. 

Yep. And if the new manager finishes the season in 12th or 11th place...surely Dean could've achieved that?

• Like 2

I have very similar feelings that I had when Brian Little resigned.Brian and Smith have been excellent managers for us and I feel their tenure was cut short too early.

When I see some of the names we are being linked with,it is bringing me out in a cold sweat.

DEAN BACK IN     the campaign starts now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Yep. And if the new manager finishes the season in 12th or 11th place...surely Dean could've achieved that?

I always thought we'd have a stronger 2nd half to the season. I think we'd have been close to that if not there by the end of the season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I always thought we'd have a stronger 2nd half to the season. I think we'd have been close to that if not there by the end of the season. 

I think problem though is how far we'd drop before our season finally kickstarted again. Not beat Brighton and with next games under DS you'd be looking at us being established in bottom 3 and as time goes on it's hard to get that far up the table.

At least now hopefully we can beat Brighton, get something at Palace and maybe a draw from one of the games after and we wouldn't be that far off the top 10 still with some winnable games in December.

I wish Dean well anyway. What's done is done and he'll get an excellent reception when he returns to VP in future seasons.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Beating the Champions Liverpool 7-2 was incredible, win away at United. 10 in a row, play off final. We lost a good few games but the highs were wll worth it

They’re the big ones you’ve mentioned. 

Off the top of my head I’d add - 

4-2 v sha

3-3 comeback v Sheffield United

Last minute (second) wins against Brighton and Watford. Ditto Leicester semi final.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

I do think Smith could return one day. There is such mutual love there. In what guise who knows, if its as manager I guess it depend how the next few years go for both parties. 

I can see this as well.

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

There has been nothing in our play that suggested things would improve. 

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There has been nothing in our play that suggested things would improve. 

Agreed. 

My belief that things would have been better 2nd half of the season is down to how little our best players have actually played. 

Ings, Buendia and Bailey haven't started a game together. Traore has been out. Luiz has been in and out. 

• Like 2

Â