Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Oh Dean… why’d it have to end like this? It’s kind of a shock really, all seems so sudden on reflection…

Why did you start pissing about with five at the back and going back on what worked? Trying to force two CFs to play together…

Were certain signings and the coaching changes forced on him? (Piss off McPhee! WTF did Danks even do?!).

We needed to sort the shite midfield out as a priority…

5-3-2 was our undoing, suddenly changing the system with no real prep or reason was a major issue. Preseason was a complete disaster or non event! Should’ve stuck to his guns. Focussed on getting players fit and conditioned, refuse certain call ups maybe… maybe too laid back about it all…

Seemed to abandon his principles and we started to look like bloody Stoke, creating nothing and relying on ugly long throws… passing and possession went to shit.

We’d seen so much progression despite all the setbacks & disruptions like Covid outbreaks, injuries and loss of form for key players…

You made us proud to be Villa fans again Dean, entertained and united us… will always be grateful for that.

I’ll never forget some of the results and performances, going toe to toe with “big clubs” and managing to defeat, even thrash, them. 7-2 vs Liverpool will love long on the memory but we dominated and thrashed Arsenal too. Deservedly beat other such teams, good results and performances against Spurs and Chelsea to end last season too.

The euphoria of promotion…

Now we’re going to get Stevie f****** G and become party to the Liverpool brigade… living in subservience…

😢

• Like 4

I guess what did for him was the stats further under the surface.  In 87 premier league games we only came back from a losing position to win 4 times and to draw 6 times. 

So thats only 18 points in those 87 games won from losing positions. So on average over the time in the premier he gained us 7 points per season from losing positions. That simply tells me that we were miles off tactically when we went behind in games. MILES off. We couldnt adapt.  The ironic thing is that he was clever tactically ( but only if the things he had been working on paid off in the game ) . If it didnt go to plan he didnt have a scooby how turn it around 

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I guess what did for him was the stats further under the surface.  In 87 premier league games we only came back from a losing position to win 4 times and to draw 6 times. 

So thats only 18 points in those 87 games won from losing positions. So on average over the time in the premier he gained us 7 points per season from losing positions. That simply tells me that we were miles off tactically when we went behind in games. MILES off. We couldnt adapt.  The ironic thing is that he was clever tactically ( but only if the things he had been working on paid off in the game ) . If it didnt go to plan he didnt have a scooby how turn it around 

What are the comparable stats for other teams / managers? I feel like most teams struggle to turn around losing positions, but be good to see who is especially good/bad at it

Just now, KentVillan said:

What are the comparable stats for other teams / managers? I feel like most teams struggle to turn around losing positions, but be good to see who is especially good/bad at it

I do not know as it was something that came to mind this morning and i added up the draws and wins  but it just seemed particularly bad even if others suffer comparably. Because you cannot get continuous improvement with such inconsistency or lack of ability to turn things round in adversity. As much as money doesnt guarantee winning it doesnt half help as well. And we have backed Smith very heavily since he came in. 

13 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Fancy him to be the next Rangers manager.

and me

its maybe a poisoned chalice in that you either win the league and you're great or you dont and you're not, its very black and white

but rangers are set for a good few years and he should enjoy himself up there

On 09/11/2021 at 22:07, sne said:

The second panel on DS made me laugh out loud in the middle of the office today, got some funny looks after that

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Man utd seem particularly good at it.

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I do not know as it was something that came to mind this morning and i added up the draws and wins  but it just seemed particularly bad even if others suffer comparably. Because you cannot get continuous improvement with such inconsistency or lack of ability to turn things round in adversity. As much as money doesnt guarantee winning it doesnt half help as well. And we have backed Smith very heavily since he came in. 

Sure, but the stats mean nothing unless they’re unusually bad. Without any context we can’t tell if it’s specifically a Villa problem or just the general way of things in football.

Someone I know at work is a Norwich fan and said he wouldn't mind Smith as their next manager. Despite his achievements with us I have to say I'd be wary if I were a fan of a club he was about to manage, just because of how poor Smith's record was for us without Grealish.

53 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Sure, but the stats mean nothing unless they’re unusually bad. Without any context we can’t tell if it’s specifically a Villa problem or just the general way of things in football.

Will try to summon up the energy to see if its an anomaly or not

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Someone I know at work is a Norwich fan and said he wouldn't mind Smith as their next manager. Despite his achievements with us I have to say I'd be wary if I were a fan of a club he was about to manage, just because of how poor Smith's record was for us without Grealish.

I think he’d do well there - no Grealish but he’s got Rashica to work with instead.

30 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

I think he’d do well there - no Grealish but he’s got Rashica to work with instead.

Rashica isn't a quarter of the player Grealish is.

Smith did a decent job at Brentford of course though. Maybe it's simply the case that he got too stuck in his ways with Grealish at Villa and a new club will freshen things up for him.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Rashica isn't a quarter of the player Grealish is.

Smith did a decent job at Brentford of course though. Maybe it's simply the case that he got too stuck in his ways with Grealish at Villa and a new club will freshen things up for him.

Apologies, it may not have come across that way, but my Rashica comment was ironic - he’s looked a bag of shite when I’ve seen him for Norwich this season.

I’m sure Dean will do well in his next role and I sincerely hope he does. I’m still a bit numb that he’s gone.

Â