Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Would like to think he could find his way back into the Villa frame again down the road. He's got many years ahead of him. Who knows? Graham Taylor came back. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

On 06/11/2021 at 19:24, nick76 said:

A pointless discussion to get enraged about.  Footballers main work times ie games include kick offs of 7.45 or 8.00pm in the week.  The earliest they play a game is 12.30pm and a lot of games play mid afternoon to early evening.  So if their training is a little later, say mid day, and in fact more in line with the games it’s better for the body clock.

If the training isn’t good enough then get enraged but moving times is a little pointless to be enraged about.

Yeah but people found something new to drag Smith on.

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

Reason he hasn't been sacked is because the board don't have an available alternative. Sacking for the sake of it is bad management 

17 hours ago, kidlewis said:

Gutted he’s gone. We simply must have an A grade manager coming in otherwise this is a bad move for the long term of the club. 

The importance of this cannot be understated. Possibly the biggest managerial appointment since the Prem started 

Agreed. Hoping that the news just isn't leaking yet and someone will be in by Wednesday.

figures ,, football is all about figures. 

10 points from 11 games,

100m spent,

theirs a start , a middle & a end , DS was at the end with his points & performances , its his team, his signings .

its simple-the club & DS move on 

16 minutes ago, regular_john said:

Having had a day-ish to reflect on this decision, I have come to the conclusion that it was stupid and rash. The man was doing an amazing job and the recent bad patch doesn't change that.

We've waited decades for a manager as good as Smith and, in my lifetime at least, have never had a manager who had the club in his bones the way he does.

Rubbish decision.

My immediate reaction was that they'd made a big mistake. Now I think it might turn into a bad mistake if they **** up the next manager's appointment. Wait too long and or get the wrong man and it'll look like a very stupid thing to do in sacking Smith. 

Of course it *might* be that JT and O'Kelly leaving was part of the board trying to get the coaching staff ready for the new regime, maybe they thought like a lot of people on here (not myself) that Dean had reached his ceiling and were already preparing for the next man. If that's true and there's a quick appointment and it's someone who can get us competing for Europe then all of us who are gutted to see Dean go will be fine with it.

26 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

figures ,, football is all about figures. 

10 points from 11 games,

100m spent,

theirs a start , a middle & a end , DS was at the end with his points & performances , its his team, his signings .

its simple-the club & DS move on 

again the money...

west ham spent £100m on 2 players and then sold them both at a loss, everton are nearly the same, spurs, arsenal, utd, chelsea teams we've played this season £100m is 1 or 2 players

when arsenal beat us they had a £80m player on their bench, a player who cost more than both of our record signings added together on the bench, arsenal's top 5 signings, who are all still at the club, cost a total of £276m, all of this spending smith supposedly did came to around £320m...thats for 32 players...£50m more for 27 players more, yet we seem to think that we should be finishing above them because we spent money? that doesnt make sense, our spending is still way off some of these clubs that are above us

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Having slept on it, I actually feel more sad about it today. 

It might sound stupid, but in this current climate, with Tory words removed running the show, trump supporters, mad anti-vax people, big clubs trying to destroy football with the super league and now the Newcastle takeover, I really liked the fact that we had a genuine good guy in charge. It was easy to get behind the man and have that connection with him.

And maybe it's me getting older, but I was willing to push back the desires of instant success to have more patience and enjoy the ride because of the kind of man he was. Some will say that's me giving him a free pass and maybe they're right. 

Will finishing 8th with someone like a Gerrard feel as fulfilling as staying up on the last day with Dean and Jack celebrating together? Or what we accomplished last year? I'm not so sure and that's my worry. 

I've gone from intentionally staying away from watching us under Lambert, Mcleish and Bruce, to not being able to get enough under Dean, even when things have been bad. 

I really hope it's not a long time before we feel that connection to a manager once again. 

I won't be forgetting the three seasons with Smith and Grealish for a very long time. I feel disconnected at the moment.

Doesn't mean this wasn't the right decision. 

Some seem to think it's just a case of when rather than if we'll be kicking on to play in the champions league. Decent chance we'll be getting relegated multiple times before we see that. Champions League will be gone soon anyway, FIFA will back a new superleague within five years and it will happen.

• Like 1

I am still in disbelief about this decision, I was hoping that we could build a legacy - like Man U under Fergie. 

I think Dean has earned more time than he has been given and was handed the shitty end of the stick this season, which was always going to be difficult with the disruption of Grealish leaving, a bunch of new players that don't really seem to have been thought through arriving, trying to adapt the system to accommodate them and some bad luck on injuries. 

I think he could have turned this around and that the decision to sack him is rash, and it is telling that there has been an outpouring of sorrow and respect for the man over the last 20 pages, never have I seen a manager leave on such good terms with the fans. 

On the face of it though, this should be good news in that the owners want us battling it out at the top of the league - however my judgement of them will depend on who they bring in and how long it takes to do so. They have to get this right, and they have to have already identified their man. If a Stevie G or Lampard rocks up at VP, then I will lose a significant amount of trust and faith in our board. We should only be replacing Deano with a top top manager. Let's see who comes in.

Thanks for the memories Dean. You can leave with your head held high. You did us proud and gave us some fantastic moments along the way. You will always be appreciated and you are a true Villan.

• Like 4

One thing that killed Smith, that's matt Cash's @$$.

I think he deserved more than to be rear ended like that.

I am sure Smith will find work easy, he's done a fabulous job here and who knows maybe one day when he's learnt more he could return. His inexperience I believe was always going to give us some harsh times along the way and yes I do believe he was to easy on the players. Smith especially if the gaming rumour is true, he should of stamped that out till they proved themselves. Seems like the players were caring more about gaming than playing.

I wish all the best to Smiith he could go far once hes learned some more, he just needs more of a ruthless hand I believe and I wonder if him not having one helped Purslow make his choice to Sack him.

Smith was always streaky. I think given time he would have sorted it out and we would have finished about mid table, which might be lower than the owners expectations. Having  a regime change in the summer months is a lot easier to give the new person time to assess the squad bring in players etc. Dropping someone in mid season is a bit of crisis management imo.

11 hours ago, TRO said:

emphatically, disagree with that.....There is plenty special about our football club.

But winning football matches makes that claim credible...every manager who is appointed, knows the fate, you have to win games on a reasonably regular basis....if they don't they know the consequences.

Brutal, Maybe....Thats why they get paid a kings ransom.

We have to get back to having a winning mentality ( and that includes the fans)...There can be no sentiment for losing on a regular basis and little hope of winning.

Losing football matches on a regular basis is not acceptable, by anyone....Dean Smith is rightfully such a very popular guy, but no one is bigger than the club....many good managers before him, like Ron Atkinson went the same way, Rons team played some delightful football to begin with, but when he went, he had to.

The next guy, will be subject to the same maxims....and they will know that.

Nah, there isn't.  Hit a bad run of form, sack the manager.

Smith should've been given time to turn it around - he deserved that - and it was incredibly refreshing having "one of our own" managing the club, living the dream.  Having Grealish as captain and Smith as manager made us a somewhat special club; managed by the fans, in many respects.  With Grealish there was an inevitability that he would leave (although maybe not so soon) but we had kept Smith running things.  As soon as he hits 5 defeats (in, I may add, pretty tricky fixtures) we just give him the boot.

This whole winning mentality is a crock of shit, frankly.  The short termism in football is horrific.

Longest serving manager since MON, just over 3 years. It's kind of sad that we're on the managerial merry go round again. How I'd love for us to finally have a long term manager of 5+ years with sustained progress & success. 

Just now, JoshVilla said:

Longest serving manager since MON, just over 3 years. It's kind of sad that we're on the managerial merry go round again. How I'd love for us to finally have a long term manager of 5+ years with sustained progress & success. 

The frustrating thing is that Smith was doing this.  It's been 5 bad results and he's done.

It's shit.

Â