Dean Smith

Demitri_C

In my view Smith is a poor tactician and coach. His strength is that he manages to galvanise the stakeholders and create a really good culture. When he joined we were an absolute shambles. The whole club was splintered. Dean has bought everyone back together. He has stabilised our club. He has done his job. We now need someone who can build on his foundations. He has 100% taken us as far as he can but his role in re-establishing us will be remembered fondly by most, as it should be.

I actually think that Dean would make an exceptional Director of Football. I would be happy to see him move upstairs and for us to bring in a new head coach/manager. It’s unlikely to happen but I think he could be an elite Director of Football. Sadly he will only ever be an average manager.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Sadly it feels like head vs heart for me, heart says keep him, he will turn it around.

Head says he won't.  When Grealish went some of the last remaining romanticism I had with football went, I feel this situation is the same. We need to move on, Sadly without Smith. 

I agree, how great it was, one of our own Manager, one of our our own as Captain and one of our own making our kit. Will never forget and thanks for the memory. When he goes and I think that will be soon I will feel somewhat empty , can feel it creeping up already but no time for sentiment I suppose 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I’m assuming because whatever we will do will be done with the respect that the manager deserves.

I doubt they will just take him out the back and shoot him.

We are not Newcastle.

OMG. They've shot Brucie!

I think he’ll get the Brighton and Palace games - at least. Lose both and I’d expect the owners to think seriously about a new manager. Seems like something is very wrong behind the scenes, though.

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

so what point do we need to get to, before its clear we wont be sacking Deano?

Later today?, Monday?

Monday I d have thought.

Although there might be leaked news before that.

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

I think he’ll get the Brighton and Palace games - at least. Lose both and I’d expect the owners to think seriously about a new manager. Seems like something is very wrong behind the scenes, though.

Lose 7 on the bounce and it’s still only “think” about a new manager?

Christ alive.

He has to go, no room for sentiment. The performances have been rotten. He’s taking us down.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Awol said:

Lose both those games and Villa will be in serious relegation trouble.

I don't think the owners will take that risk. With the international break ahead it's the perfect time to bring in a new manager and his preferred coaching team.

One would also expect by bringing in a new manager Villa will get new manager bounce plus the January window to shore up that midfield.

Not strengthening midfield in the last window may have contributed to Smith losing his job.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I think your getting me mixed up with someone else. I have never thought his time was up???

It is now though.

if he were going, do you not think he would be gone already?

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if he were going, do you not think he would be gone already?

If we were gonna make a signing, don't you think we would know who it is? Ings

Remember our boys do everything behind closed doors, even the ITKs don't get a sniff. Can't see him being here after the international break surely?

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If we were gonna make a signing, don't you think we would know who it is? Ings

Remember our boys do everything behind closed doors, even the ITKs don't get a sniff. Can't see him being here after the international break surely?

ye ur right, although i think every hour that passes without an announcement, seems to me it becomes less likely, especially if we go the whole weekend without something.

We’ve become a bit of an embarrassment… just can’t pass the ball or hold onto it. Let alone controlling or dictating possession.

Southampton are not a great side nor do they have anywhere near any of the best players in the league but they were completely comfortable in possession. Composed and unflustered.

Whereas we just look lost, clueless and utterly sloppy.

Is it too much to ask for us to be able to have that capability? I love Dean but we are in a rut and decline and there are no signs of improvement, we can’t keep losing and playing poorly. The cycle has ended, that’s football. It’s sad but we have to move on and try to progress and look forwards… we can’t carry on like this.

Whoever comes in (I’d rather not go British personally), I want them to enable us to pass and keep the ball and work on patterns of play and chance creation. We have players who could thrive if we played the right style of football and utilised their strengths.

Please, no more bloody booting it long for our forward(s) to chase on to. Sick and tired of our hurriedness, sloppiness and franticness in possession. It’s clumsy as shit at times. I am sick to death of watching this, once again it’s reared it’s ugly head…

McGinn in particular really pisses me off at times, he’s so inconsistent. Such a poor touch and loose in possession, poor passer of the ball. But then he’ll have a really good game out of the blue and all is forgiven until he puts in another utterly dire and shit performance. 

Is he not overrated? Because if he’s apparently so good then why does he turn to shit so often? I can understand or forgive a limited player like Nakamba (at least he puts a shift in), and having to play such a player when we have no other options available, performing poorly or struggling but it’s almost unforgivable for someone so highly rated to be so crap…

We lose possession so cheaply and so easily… I don’t get why we’ve turned to shit in this department. It’s a basic requirement to keep hold of the ball and pass or between your teammates, but we’ve become inept in this regard…

We’ve had some wonderful performances and results under Dean and I will never forget what and how much he has done for this club, the euphoria of promotion and destroying Liverpool being the absolute highlights. He brought exciting and attacking play to our club after years and years of utter dross (it was pure misery, for so long, supporting this club beforehand). Absolutely restored the pride and unity… I can’t even properly recall the last time we had had such a bond, affinity and togetherness between the players, fans and manager…

There are mitigating factors, I feel for Dean. A lot has worked against him (no need to go over all that again), I don’t see how the coaching changes have helped us in any way. Please get rid of the lot of them. McPhee is turning us into Stoke of old, GTFO. Seems to have far too much influence, piss off. Danks has done f all. And I just get annoyed when I see Shakespeare, what effect is he having? What is he contributing?

Seems unfair for everyone to just lay the blame at Dean’s door…

Again, nothing lasts forever. All managers eventually run the course of their tenures…

Dean deserves all the respect, admiration and gratitude for his time and achievements here… can leave with his head held high. 

Time for a fresh approach and new era… we must get it right. We can’t afford to flounder and go into decline. I hope we show our ambition.

• Like 2

The report in the Meaning Evil that we're going to give him the Brighton game to 'turn it around' is doing my head in. You can't learn anything from one single PL game. We could fluke a win, play well but lose, and who knows what you do if you draw. If they want to *actually* give him a real chance to turn it round, then you would need a run of at least 5 games to judge that, and that should be made clear to reduce the pressure. But if you're waiting on one individual game, you are already sure he isn't up to it, you just either haven't worked up the courage to fire him or more likely haven't got a worthwhile replacement lined up yet.

• Like 1

The lack of available replacements is a valid point.

Thing is though we're in free fall. Zero points from the next 2 games and we have a horror set of fixtures coming up after that.

Could be rock bottom by Christmas and staring relegation in the eye.

Might be worth it to take the gamble and try get that new manager bounce.

Edited by villalad21

Â