Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Several similarities between us and United right now, and between Smith and Ole, in interviews and everything.

Difference is they have world class players who can get them out of the rot and don't necessarily need that much coaching.

We're not in that fortunate position. We need proper coaching and management or we're only heading in one direction.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed some of the more thoughtful comments on our manager's tenure after the game yesterday.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems much easier to go from being really good to terrible than it does the other way round. It does feel like the end.

• Like 1

Now is the time to make the change, at least give the new guy the chance to settle in and begin assessing the squad. Prepare for the necessary reinforcements in Jan.

Wil need time to implement ideas, playing styles etc.

We’re in severe decline and look lost. It’s sad but we have no choice unless we’re happy to waste a season or risk a relegation battle. I haven’t seen any signs of improvement and have zero expectation of us “turning it around” anytime soon...

The longer this carries on, the more damaging it is.

We need a fresh approach. Almost a clean slate. Clear out the whole backroom/coaches.

I’m hoping for a foreign manager with a distinct style of play. Someone who can get us passing the ball properly and allow us to keep it, to create chances in play rather than rely on hoofball or bloody awful and ugly long throws… 🤦‍♂️ 

Again, I admire Dean and am sad about all this. My main source of anger is the coaches and how useless they have been.

But we can’t carry on like this, if we have any ambition then we need to be proactive and not accept mediocrity and poor performances and results.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2021 at 13:23, briny_ear said:

Oh dear, maybe he’s been reading too many posts by @DCJonah. For me, this just increases the impression I had from the West Ham post-match that Dean is a bit in denial about our poor form at present and the position we are in.

Not that it’s sensible at all to compare our recent run with that of Liverpool last season, but just for the record the 4 games they lost “in a row” were punctuated by an away win in the Champions League. And they slipped from third in the table to sixth. Our 4 match lapse has dropped us from eighth to fifteenth, so slightly less of a cushion.

Denial is the last thing managers hang on too, when things are going wrong on poor runs....its all they have left.

The odd defeat, they can talk about tangible things to putting it right.....when that's been exhausted, Denial is the last resort.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2021 at 13:23, briny_ear said:

Oh dear, maybe he’s been reading too many posts by @DCJonah. For me, this just increases the impression I had from the West Ham post-match that Dean is a bit in denial about our poor form at present and the position we are in.

Not that it’s sensible at all to compare our recent run with that of Liverpool last season, but just for the record the 4 games they lost “in a row” were punctuated by an away win in the Champions League. And they slipped from third in the table to sixth. Our 4 match lapse has dropped us from eighth to fifteenth, so slightly less of a cushion.

It’s not just the last 5 games that are a concern, it’s the form over the whole of this calendar year that’s equally, if not more, worrying. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Several similarities between us and United right now, and between Smith and Ole, in interviews and everything.

I couldn't agree with you more....absolutely spot on, both very endearing nice guys.

but Deans quote comes back to me on both counts Villa and Man U......"The team mirrors the manager"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Denial is the last thing managers hang on too, when things are going wrong on poor runs....its all they have left.

The odd defeat, they can talk about tangible things to putting it right.....when that's been exhausted, Denial is the last resort.

The more under pressure they are the less likely they are to admit when they get things wrong or don't have things under control. That would be giving their bosses ammunition to replace them and most of them want to keep their jobs. 

Much easier to admit faults when things are on the main going well.

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

In my view Smith is a poor tactician and coach. His strength is that he manages to galvanise the stakeholders and create a really good culture. When he joined we were an absolute shambles. The whole club was splintered. Dean has bought everyone back together. He has stabilised our club. He has done his job. We now need someone who can build on his foundations. He has 100% taken us as far as he can but his role in re-establishing us will be remembered fondly by most, as it should be.

I actually think that Dean would make an exceptional Director of Football. I would be happy to see him move upstairs and for us to bring in a new head coach/manager. It’s unlikely to happen but I think he could be an elite Director of Football. Sadly he will only ever be an average manager.

I agree with that, Deans skill set is galvanising an organisation, and creating stability....where he lacks is driving and demanding.

I understand, he moved the training from early morning to 12-20.pm.....because the players were on their X boxes, PS5's until 2.00am in the morning and he said they need their sleep.

it was reported to the times....if thats true, it is precisiely why discipline has slipped.....that is not a solution, its caving in.....its this kind of thing that creates sloppy mentality.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, sne said:

The more under pressure they are the less likely they are to admit when they get things wrong or don't have things under control. That would be giving their bosses ammunition to replace them and most of them want to keep their jobs. 

Much easier to admit faults when things are on the main going well.

Not doubting the rationale, behind why they do it......just saying, I've seen it before, with previous managers.

problem is, folk can see through it.

I actually don't think he has done that much wrong, other than not signing a dominant No 6 in the summer....but thats just me and how I see it.

This for me, is a mentality issue, coming home to roost.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Not doubting the rationale, behind why they do it......just saying, I've seen it before, with previous managers.

Yeah there comes a moment when there's usually no way back and it's usually pretty easy to see it from the outside. After that it's only a matter of time.

A reminder, Villains

This thread is for discussing Dean Smith

If you want to discuss other managers and options then use this one below, please.

Some (loads of) posts have been moved to where they should have been made.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

It’s human nature to become defensive when your backs against the wall. For me that’s a reason for him to go now, while we still mainly have good memories of his time here. I wouldn’t want it to turn sour now before the inevitable happens. 

Looks like Smith stays, and I can see the logic, whoever the manager is from this point we're unlikely to do any better than midtable, so might as well just keep Smith until it looks like we're in serious trouble of relegation, which hopefully doesn't happen. And then we can review again in the summer.

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s human nature to become defensive when your backs against the wall. For me that’s a reason for him to go now, while we still mainly have good memories of his time here. I wouldn’t want it to turn sour now before the inevitable happens. 

I will always have fond memories Dave....and I have to say as others have, Dean has very valuable bridge building skills, he creates harmony and a sound working environment.....should he go, that will be lost.

but this team of ours needs a fresh mentality, a winning mentality, to come in and dominate things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Looks like Smith stays, and I can see the logic, whoever the manager is from this point we're unlikely to do any better than midtable, so might as well just keep Smith until it looks like we're in serious trouble of relegation, which hopefully doesn't happen. And then we can review again in the summer.

How so?

I think if we were of the mind to sack him based on losing to Southampton then it would have been announced by now. And usually when a manager is about to be sacked you get most of the papers reporting it, but that's not happening with Smith.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I think if we were of the mind to sack him based on losing to Southampton then it would have been announced by now. And usually when a manager is about to be sacked you get most of the papers reporting it, but that's not happening with Smith.

Agreed, I'd be surprised now if we don't see him for the Brighton game.

• Like 1

Â