Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I don't think you can completely rule out 3 at the back when the current champs league holders and current league leaders are playing it ...

True.  But then they've bought or promoted players specifically to fit into that system.

We seem to have bought players to fit a 433, but including 2 strikers, and have then tried to shoehorn them into some sort of a system.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Would play 3 at the back which is his style. He would be an uninspiring appointment 

I'm not sure. Spurs largely played 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 while he was there (certainly did v us when they dominated) so I don't think he's as welded to 3-5-2 even though he played it every week at Wolves.

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

So Eddie Howe or Lampard then. 

Personally I don't think anyone is lined up. We always think there is as often as not there isn't.

We'd be wise to look at the situations at Newcastle and Spurs (pre-Nuno) and have someone lined up before pulling the trigger.

I would very much be inclined to hold fire until we do. Smith is not Bruce, he hasn't insulted the fans in the same way and doesn't deserve to walk the plank in ignominy unless we have a clear plan that we can put into action immediately.

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Our issue when we play it is mainly the wide players. Cash and especially Targett are not good enough. Cash might grow in to it, Targett never will. Compare that to the players Chelsea or Inter have on the flanks and it's night and day (obviously)

I agree Targett is no way a wing back , the guy Arsenal payed 8 mil for looks good business in that role ..

At chelsea they have Chillwell who has been scoring and regularly getting shot son target as he is so far forward helping attack ..Cash gets into similar positions but Targett just isn't good enough.He is a solid enough LB but at wingback he lacks the ability to run with the ball and natural pace 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

The concerning thing for me is that we haven't really had a consistent identity at all, and at this stage I don't even know what "kind" of team we are when the same can't be said of any other side in the league outside of maybe Norwich. We went from a largely possession-based side in the Championship in line with what Dean had been doing t Brentford, to granted understandably losing some of that in the survival season, but without the probably needed pragmatism until post-lockdown, to being heavily counter-attacking with a heavy reliance on Grealish last time out to now where it's all a bit of a mess.

Statistically we're out on our own in terms of how fast and direct we're moving the ball forward, but watching this I'm not sure how much of this is intentional given that we often attempt to build from the back, only to be unable to deal with an opposition press and either have our LCB lump it forward to one of or a pair of strikers who aren't exactly target men, or Targett and Konsa giving it back to Emi to do the same. Given Smith cited a lack of being able to maintain possession last season as an issue, and recruited both players and a coach specifically to address it, it worries me that we almost seem as lost as ever in what we're trying to do or at least are failing to improve on these shortcomings.

Love the guy, have all the time in the world for him and would love to see him turn it around, but it's never a good sign when teams lose that sense of identity in a rut and just seem to be doing whatever they can just to get out of it. This *feels* worse than just a loss of form at the moment, something you can't really quantify but as Villa fans we've all seen before for it to seem familiar. Would love to be wrong mind.

Style of play 

1) Kick off , kick it high and down the wing like a rugby kick off ...

2) Lump it up the wings , mostly left for Olly to chase 

thats about it 

We play it out of defence in only for , generally Mings to wack it forward ..might as well just let Emi kick it long 

• Like 1

Watching the game against West Ham and pretty much everyone else recently tbh and the difference is that we don’t ping it around with pace, no quick touches and go or move for each other like other teams do. It’s all so laboured, plodding and predictable.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

Style of play 

thats about it 

We play it out of defence in only for , generally Mings to wack it forward ..might as well just let Emi kick it long 

Mind boggling isn't it? 

Considering how Smith played at Brentford. 

I think the fact we've played 4 4 2, 4 2 3 1, 4 3 3 and 5 3 2 this season has been the issue. 

Add to that we've spent more time on set pieces too with the new coach and we lost JT helping our defence. We've a new attack coach adding new voice and ideas too. It's clearly confusing the team

Trying to create an Ings Watkins partnership while trying to get our full backs to be wing backs. 

It's time to end any of this "teach the team new tactical shapes". It's 4 2 3 1 to stop the rot and we can evolve into a 4 3 3 if defence holds up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Watching the game against West Ham and pretty much everyone else recently tbh and the difference is that we don’t ping it around with pace, no quick touches and go or move for each other like other teams do. It’s all so laboured, plodding and predictable.  

That is what we should do with players like Buendia and Bailey. Need to ease of the long balls to our short players and all this nanny mcphee set piece rubbish.

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Massive lack of confidence all around, and clearly we've not yet adjusted to not having Grealish as the constant outlet and target for passes. New players have not found their roles yet and the old ones seem at a loss what to do without Grealish. 

17 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We don't suddenly have crap players. We don't suddenly have a crap manager. I do feel, though, that we've got a manager who has reached his ceiling and a group of players who are yet to reach theirs.

I think this is the bit that I'm worried about the most with Dean. He's done brilliantly up to a point, but it's looking more and more likely that he's gone as far as he can with us. I really love the guy but I'm definitely starting to think it might be time for a change.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I don't think you can completely rule out 3 at the back when the current champs league holders and current league leaders are playing it ...

I love the 3-4-3 formation for a number of reasons I won't go into but you only need to watch Chelsea to see how they always have a pass on and someone in space.

The problem is we can't play it, we signed Ings, Bailey, Buendia and already have Traore, Watkins. You have to bench 2 of them, if we wanted to play this system we should have spent the money on a CM and 3rd CB.

Our summer activity made sense to me until we signed Danny Ings and as I just put in his thread I heard it was a Purslow signing to lower the damage of Grealish going. Smith doesn't play 2 up front and now he's having to force Ings in and also not drop Watkins. Absolutely shitshow if that is what's going on.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Style of play 

thats about it 

Tbf, I recognise this immediately so that proves that yes we do have a style of play.

You forgot the obligatory long throw to nowhere though. 

11 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I don't understand stand it mate, for the longest time as well.

We are soooooo slow.

In the rare event we actually pass it quickly ( and to our own players ) good things happen.

Problem is we are also so shite at passing, they often break down anyway.

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Have a look at Matt Doherty's Wolves career before Nuno joined, was nothing special at all.

I actually thought Wolves played some fantastic counter attack football in 18/19. They did regress after that season, think losing FA cup SF from 2-0 up v Watford was turning point as he went more defensive against most teams after that game.

I don't think it would be worst appointment in world for us given we're regularly shipping 3 or more goals currently so do need someone as a minimum who can organise us.,

The man utterly failed at Spurs. His brand of football is woeful to watch. 

Dean Smith is a better manager 

If we do fire Smith who exactly will come in? Villa is a career killer for a manager. I have an awful feeling it will be someone like Terry or Lampard. No thanks.

It's the big standard villa cycle of 4 years or so to fire and hire the manager. Rinse and repeat. 

Â