Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Maybe the appointment of Austin Mcafee has disrupted the harmony in the group? He seems very forthright and perhaps some of the players have not responded well. 

I've been wondering that. There must be a catalyst

11 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’m a Smith fan but the facts aren’t pretty at the moment and his departure is starting to have an air of inevitability about it.

I thought he would get a few more matches and he still might.

I agree with the poster above that said the sudden departures of JT and Rok shortly before the start of the season might suggest that all was not right behind the scenes. 
When I start to think about potential replacements, I think the likely targets would be Lampard, Gerrard, maybe Dyche. Fairly sure Potter wouldn’t be interested. Would any of those take us forward really? Maybe a new manager bounce but long term? 

It’s weird, only a few weeks ago we were playing really well against Chelsea, beat United, hammered Everton. Feels like a lifetime ago. Those last 10 minutes against Wolves have properly shaken us.

Was Wolves our Leicester moment from a few years ago I wonder, 2 up and coasting…..we all know what followed

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I've been wondering that. There must be a catalyst

Not necessarily, we go through long periods of awful form under Dean, he's just one of those managers. He'll probably win three on the bounce some time soon. Well I hope so anyway otherwise it's curtains for us. 

Edited by TreeVillan

Terry and O'Kelly left before the start of the season and the new lads were there when we played well at Chelsea and beat Everton and Utd.  

I think new voices for players on the coaching side is a good thing every few years or it gets stale.

Confidence is the key here I think and that is on Dean as well as the players at present.

Edited by S-Platt
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Arent there no upcoming managers in Europe? Like your Poch’s or even that new Wolves guy. Why’s it always it could be Lampard or Gerrard?

There are. It's just most people here don't watch outside the PL so don't know any managers who have no connection to the PL.

4 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Terry and O'Kelly left before the start of the season and the new lads were there when we played well at Chelsea and beat Everton and Utd.  

I think new voices for players on the coaching side is a good thing every few years or it gets stale.

Confidence is the key here I think and that is on Dean as well as the players at present.

It’s simply this. I wonder if last season confidence became a lot less of an issue for players because there were no crowds. Much less pressure when things wernt going great. 

• Like 1

I can't see him being fired unless he completely loses the dressing room and results over the next 3 games remain poor. Like 1 point from 9 = he needs to go. 

If he can turn it around and we recover to 10-13th place I still really hope the owners have taken note of the complete inability for the team under Dean to show any consistency in the Premier League. If a manager like Potter is interested next summer we should make the change 2 weeks into June. 

I think we have a talented squad and it's down the the manager to get the best out of them. Something we've not done in any consistent way in over a year.

I think it depends on what the ambition/aim of CP and the owners for this season is, if it’s European football or at least the challenge of that then I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Dean went this week, otherwise I can see him being given at least the next 3 games to turn things around.

Things are not right at the moment, I’m genuinely unsure if Dean can come back from this.

1 hour ago, regular_john said:

Still the man for the job in my opinion.

If we had won four on the spin, we wouldn't all be beside ourselves assuming we would challenge for the league and be playing CL football next year. I hope that we would take a realistic stance and not get carried away.

The same should be true now. Yes, it sucks to lose four on the spin but that doesn't mean it should be panic stations.

Smith has done a great job since the moment he walked in. He is undoubtedly the best manager we've had in more than a decade and has, in my opinion, earned some patience.

Keep the faith. UTV.

That makes the assumption that it is as easy  to transition from a loosing side to a winning side. In reality it's my harder to stop the rot.

Teams are scoring against us for fun. I really don't see us halting that anytime soon 

Still the man for the job in my opinion.

If we had won four on the spin, we wouldn't all be beside ourselves assuming we would challenge for the league and be playing CL football next year. I hope that we would take a realistic stance and not get carried away.

The same should be true now. Yes, it sucks to lose four on the spin but that doesn't mean it should be panic stations.

Smith has done a great job since the moment he walked in. He is undoubtedly the best manager we've had in more than a decade and has, in my opinion, earned some patience.

Keep the faith. UTV.

Except without, Grealish being poor and losing under Smith is very much the norm. He's shown little evidence of anything else.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Loosing 4 on the bounce happens , but the way we have lost them Is most alarming. West Ham was always going to be difficult, but  our best period was when we went down to 10 men . Like most I hope smith can turn this around , but fear he may already have lost the dressing room . Players demeanour just isn’t right . 
The owners patience may be very tested with another defeat against Southampton. 

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I just did a fag packet calculation and it’s early, so I could be wrong but I make it 25 league games in 2021 where Grealish hasn’t started (I think he came on as a sub in two of them). Our record is 6 wins, 6 draws and 13 defeats! Or, 24 points from 25 games. 
Our wins are Leeds away (no Phillips for them), Everton away, Fulham home, Newcastle home, Everton home and Man U away. 
We have somehow managed to lose to Sheff Utd, Crystal Palace, Burnley and Watford. We were also incredibly lucky to scrape a home draw against West Brom during this period!

We have never really looked like scoring many without Jack but at least last season we were still keeping it fairly tight at the back. This season we are not creating chances and we have become incredibly easy to score against!

I know that some people are more patient than others but I really can’t see any hope under Dean. The stats are just too damning. There is absolutely no chance of him turning it around in my opinion. We can struggle on hoping that he will do something that he has failed to do in his time which is find away to play well without Jack. Or we can try something different. 

Grealish played the Burnley game and was a sub in the Palace game

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Smith saying players wins games not systems. 

Ridiculous comment imo. A top manager builds a well refined system that will get the best out of the players. 

Not only that, if u play with a system then it makes the transfer windows much easier and much more successful and lower risk. We should buy players to fit the system and not just individuals that are gifted footballers

36 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I think it depends on what the ambition/aim of CP and the owners for this season is, if it’s European football or at least the challenge of that then I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Dean went this week, otherwise I can see him being given at least the next 3 games to turn things around.

Things are not right at the moment, I’m genuinely unsure if Dean can come back from this.

We finished 11th last season and sold the best player we have had in a generation. 

Given the investment, the owners shouldn't be looking for more than the same. 

Fans expectation is another matter. 

DS should not be under pressure after 10 games 

• Like 1

If we had won four on the spin, we wouldn't all be beside ourselves assuming we would challenge for the league and be playing CL football next year.

I haven't seen one comment on here suggesting we should be challenging for the league and be playing CL and nor have I heard or read of any Villa fan suggesting it either

Â