Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

But you can't tell me he subbed off Trezeguet for any other reason than he felt like he had to use a sub eventually.

He did it to waste time, obviously. Not because he felt like he had to.

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He's subs are so formulaic that I genuinely think I can write an algorithm tracing when and who he's going to sub on or off each game.

Go on then. Post his subs for the next game before kick off, including 5 minute windows. We'll all be impressed

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He has 5 wins in 7 games. We have a game in hand on 1st place, and are 3 points behind.

He's done all of this with a young squad, and barely any options on the bench. I'm not sure what more you can realistically ask of him.

We are all delighted. But it's ok to criticize when we play bad.

• Haha 1

Dean you are magic. Sure we're going to have some dodgy defeats this season and we're not on it like against Leeds and Saints but bloody hell I'll take those for the performances we see when we click. We are a joy to watch, some of our goals and counter attacks tonight were brilliant. We took the piss with Arsenal. 

I bloody love it. 

We do well against teams who try to " play" and focus less on physicality.

To progress even further, we need a couple of big strong , athletic lads we can throw into the side when we come up against the more physical and intense teams.

Those will allow us to play. When we are allowed to play we can be deadly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This bloke doesn't get anything like enough credit; he's built a good football team and he's tactically able to mix it with the best of them.

Not only this, but we still have a group of fans who are eager to jump on him at any opportunity. Its so strange. 

There was a little criticism last year from some quarters regarding our record against the "top teams"

So it's worth reminding ourselves that 3 of our 5 wins this season have come from Liverpool at home, and Leicester and Arsenal away. It's been an absolutely incredible start to the season. 

I genuinely felt more confident about the game today than I did against both Leeds and Southampton. Not really sure why, I think we struggle against high pressing teams but then we went and smashed Liverpool 7-2.

But regardless of all that, credit to Smith. 5 wins in 7 is brilliant and I couldn't be happier with how we've started. Dean deserves huge credit.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2020 at 07:04, VillaCas said:

This is what mid-table feels like - ups and downs, losing as many as you are winning.

We don’t yet have options, we don’t yet have a deep bench. If a few of our established players are off form we will struggle.

A lot is made of ‘fitness and physicality’ - for me this is a red herring. When we play well it’s not an issue but when we lose it’s trotted out as a key factor. In reality our fitness is on a par with the clubs around us we just don’t have sufficient quality players to cycle through

It’s still early days and the table will take a while yet to settle down - if after 15 or so games we are mid-table that will be fine, if we are in the dog fight at the bottom we should then be asking questions

I bet we don’t have anyone on here tonight complaining about fitness levels, physicality or the timing of substitutes!

We’re as fit and physical as anyone in the league, it’s just that at the level we are, our performances will always be up and down

A massive UP this week!! 😃

• Haha 1

Just now, PieFacE said:

I genuinely felt more confident about the game today than I did against both Leeds and Southampton. Not really sure why, I think we struggle against high pressing teams but then we went and smashed Liverpool 7-2.

But regardless of all that, credit to Smith. 5 wins in 7 is brilliant and I couldn't be happier with how we've started. Dean deserves huge credit.

So did I. I’ve seen Arsenal a lot this season and I don’t get the hype. They try to play from the back but they are shit at it! We won the ball back time and time again. 

I think the hype scared me more than anything I had seen myself.

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I bet we don’t have anyone on here tonight complaining about fitness levels, physicality or the timing of substitutes!

We’re as fit and physical as anyone in the league, it’s just that at the level we are, our performances will always be up and down

A massive UP this week!! 😃

We did before the game.

13 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I know this is probably going to go against the narrative of praise Smith is going to get here.(and honestly, he deserves praise for this result l

But you can't tell me he subbed off Trezeguet for any other reason than he felt like he had to use a sub eventually. He's subs are so formulaic that I genuinely think I can write an algorithm tracing when and who he's going to sub on or off each game.

Imagine him swapping Trez for Elmohamady, Jack for El Ghazi and Barkley for Nakamba and Arsenal bringing it back to 3-2 or 3-3, you and loads of others would have pummelled him with criticism. 

• Like 1

Just now, Spoony said:

I want us to utterly destroy Brighton to prove we aren’t just about beating the best teams in the league (mental sentence to type but it seems to hold true right now)

To be fair Southampton are a very good team and were clinical against us. The Leeds game was anybody’s until they scored. 

Every game will be tough. The difference is we are now competing in all of them!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â