Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

For this season mid table will be acceptable but it won't be for long at the rate the owners are spending.

He does seem to have created a good culture around the club. It does seem like a happy camp but i still don't seem him being able to take us to the next level.

He is a coach not a manager and i believe we need a strong manager. Someone like Ralph. Dean can set up a team to how he wants them to play but when his pre game tactics ain't working he does look a bit clueless. Which is mainly why i think he barely makes any subs. He has a starting 11 in his head and i don't think he wants to distrupt the flow of that team by making a lot of changes mid game.

He has always been like that. Reactive, not pro active.

Fair points but why are you so quick to criticise him?  After the first four games I bet you hardly even ventured on this thread yet were busy starting OTT threads like title race (although I know that was a joke). Now 2 games later the same shit you posted pretty much the whole of last season. We get you don’t rate him but do we really have to keep hearing the same things over and over again whenever we lose a game?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

I am not sure there are calls for his sacking, but the manner of the two defeats does raise the spectre of maybe we havent progressed as much as we had hoped and therefore the questions on his medium term remain. Yes he is one of us, but we all want success and with our ownership and commitment shown, it would be a shame to let sentiment get in the way of real progress. 

I am sure we would all be delighted if he succeeded, but the two most recent defeats show the real technical and tactical ability of teams under very progressive managers, in fact despite Leicesters defeat to us their display against Leeds has shown just how good a coach and tactician Rogers is too. As nice a chap as Smith is, I am not as convinced of him as I am of the likes of Bielsa and Hassenhuttl for example, even Graham Potter is building something at Brighton. 

Smith needs time and after the post lockdown run, deserves it, but the stakes get higher with every pound spent, he need to demonstrate real progress and momentum and cannot afford to underwhelm. With all this good will, emerging talent, gelling of the team, investment with promise of more, I just hope we dont under deliver, everyone needs to remain invested in the project.

I think there's been a slight over reaction to the two defeats. It's not like we were totally Outplayed. We certainly had our moments. Yet, all of a sudden Smith is tactically inept. The hammering of Liverpool and the win at Leicester were what, luck? Credit where credits due in my eyes. 

I think our league position and goal difference is evident of tangible progress and I firmly believe we are only going to get better. Of course there will be blips along the way way, as there is with all evolving projects. 

The club feels healthy from top to bottom. The players are totally on board with the managers vision, hence the Grealish and Mings contracts. I have the upmost faith with the direction Deano is taking us. For me, he's as progressive as any other manager in the Premier league. He has his doubters, that's natural, but I just don't understand the over the top criticism to two defeats. The constant attempts to make mountains out of mole hills along with the disingenuous praise. 

I have nothing but love for this man, he's brought the thrill back to being a Villa fan. He's part of that Rotterdam generation and lives and breathes the club. What a dream to live. We should be willing him to succeed, I know I am. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair points but why are you so quick to criticise him?  After the first four games I bet you hardly even ventured on this thread yet were busy starting OTT threads like title race (although I know that was a joke). Now 3 games later the same shit you posted pretty much the whole of last season. We get you don’t rate him but do we really have to keep hearing the same things over and over again whenever we lose a game?

That’s what irks me most of all. Criticism just for the sake of it. 

Smith has his flaws, but has demonstrated he can adapt. I dont like the 433 if I'm honest, but how much can he change the team really?

Leave out who for Hourihane /Ramsey?

Davis for Watkins?

El Ghazi for Trez?

Our first team is better, our bench is better, but you dont go from the great escape to top 6 usually. 

(dont quote Leicester!)😉

21 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Smith has his flaws, but has demonstrated he can adapt. I dont like the 433 if I'm honest, but how much can he change the team really?

Leave out who for Hourihane /Ramsey?

Davis for Watkins?

El Ghazi for Trez?

Our first team is better, our bench is better, but you dont go from the great escape to top 6 usually. 

(dont quote Leicester!)😉

Formation isn't the issue. Never was.

Too many players are bombing forward and it's leaving big gaps and our team shape isn't right.

McGinn and Barkley are too attacking minded and i don't think they work well together. Luiz cannot do everything on his own. He needs help.

We need proper midfield players. Players that can defend, keep the ball with our team and do the simple things.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I just want to see dean be able to switch and change things when its needed, rather than just traore for trez with 15 mins left

I think that will come with time in the PL. We currently have next to no depth to make changes with, but with a few more windows we should have 15+ quality players all capable of making a difference in games.

This is obviously entirely dependent on us recruiting well but I've got faith in our new setup as far as this goes.

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair points but why are you so quick to criticise him?  After the first four games I bet you hardly even ventured on this thread yet were busy starting OTT threads like title race (although I know that was a joke). Now 2 games later the same shit you posted pretty much the whole of last season. We get you don’t rate him but do we really have to keep hearing the same things over and over again whenever we lose a game?

Not sure why you say fair points to him and then castigate him for critising.

He was over the moon like we all were after 4 wins and he said so in his posts....some of us are trying to work out how we have gone from 4 fine wins to 2 comprehensive defeats.......and I think its the mannner of those defeats that has caused consternation among some of us.

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine after winning the league, Champions League and World club championship....Liverpool fans would have raised questions abou conceding 7 against us.....they are legitimate questions, and more observations and analysations, than criticisms.....I would also imagine questions were raised in some quarters amongst, the leeds fan base after beating us to reverse so emphatically against Leicester....its natural, to ask questions.

I think he reacts to the performances as opposed to reacting to the person himself......My understanding is, we all like Dean, but some have doubts about certain aspects of his management, conversely some would follow him over a cliff....its divided, as it nearly always has been...some fans baulked at Ron Saunders, it happens.

VLV we don't have to read posts, if we don't want to......Personally, I find the diversity fascinating.

13 hours ago, TRO said:

I thought that when I wrote it. It’s a fair point if you say it once or twice. But every f**king time we lose a game! ?

Right let me read the rest.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

He was over the moon like we all were after 4 wins and he said so in his posts....some of us are trying to work out how we have gone from 4 fine wins to 2 comprehensive defeats.......and I think its the mannner of those defeats that has caused consternation among some of us.

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine after winning the league, Champions League and World club championship....Liverpool fans would have raised questions abou conceding 7 against us.....they are legitimate questions, and more observations and analysations, than criticisms.....I would also imagine questions were raised in some quarters amongst, the leeds fan base after beating us to reverse so emphatically against Leicester....its natural, to ask questions.

I think he reacts to the performances as opposed to reacting to the person himself......My understanding is, we all like Dean, but some have doubts about certain aspects of his management, conversely some would follow him over a cliff....its divided, as it nearly always has been...some fans baulked at Ron Saunders, it happens.

VLV we don't have to read posts, if we don't want to......Personally, I find the diversity fascinating.

Tro he has been criticising Smith constantly since the day he got the job. When we do well he goes quiet on Smith or points to players and money spent. When we lose he’s back to criticise. It will continue until Smith is no longer the manager.  

You are right he is entitled to his opinion but I find that unfair on the current manager so will respond to it. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

On 05/11/2020 at 17:08, ZL- said:

I found some fairly interesting graphs on Villa's playstyle this season so far

It seems there is a concerted effort to almost bypass our midfield looking at this first graph. This of course makes sense for predominantly counter attacking ream but it worries me how extreme our lack of possession in midfield is and I believe that Leeds and Southampton were games which were predominatly won by their teams midfield press.

The second graph is far more comforting showing how clinical we are when we do attack and the third graph has us in good company as a similar profile to City, Chelsea and somewhat Liverpool. Showing we are good at creating chances through passing but not typically through the traditional wideman (which I wouldn't categorise JG as).

It might be a tad reactionary but the first graph has made me question whether this midfield composition has legs at the moment, whilst it's a style that has on the whole worked for us bypassing the midfield, I feel there will be games this season the just pass to Jack on break tactic will lose effectiveness and we should be able to rely upon our midfield to control possession and slowly create chances that way. Individually I believe Barkley, Luiz and McGinn have the quality for that but it makes me wonder if Dean has them on specific orders to release the ball immediately?

You are right it is interesting but it also puts us under so much pressure against certain teams. Why against Leeds did we not try and keep possession after conceding jakc cna only do so much. When they repeatedly probe space opens up and players score. We needed to ease pressure on our own defense by instead we gave them 30 seconds of respite and then it was straight back at it again for them. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Tro he has been criticising Smith constantly since the day he got the job. When we do well he goes quiet on Smith or points to players and money spent. When we lose he’s back to criticise. It will continue until Smith is no longer the manager.  

You are right he is entitled to his opinion but I find that unfair on the current manager so will respond to it. 

Not true.

I posted on here when we were doing well. Me being quiet when we win is such a myth. May be true for some other posters. I don't know. I'm not really keeping count on everyone being a critic of Smith.

Me being critical of him before he got the job should not be a controversy. A mid table Championship coach should never be good enough credentials for the Villa job imo.

Right now i'm not even Smith Out as i don't see a better alternative available. 

2 hours ago, TRO said:

It's exactly right. It's the manner of the defeats that is disappointing more than anything.

That Leeds performance was 19/20 all over again. Players dropping heads when the going got tough and over 20 shots conceded against a promoted side.

Edited by villalad21

I was willing to write the Leeds game off as a blip, they’d been waiting to play us for two seasons,  and as predicted Leeds lost the following week.

But we weren’t good against Southampton. I don’t agree with the we were better in the second half, we were down 4-0 , Southampton switched off.

Ive always said I don’t believe Smith is the finished article as a manager and at times it shows on the pitch. He’s put good people around him to help make good decisions and we need to support him and believe this is working.

I believe we can get at Arsenal in the next match for the same reason we rolled them late last season, backing up 3 days after a match. They still don’t have the depth of the Top 4 sides and may be a good time to catch them. I’m expecting a reaction and think we might get something from the game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I was willing to write the Leeds game off as a blip, they’d been waiting to play us for two seasons,  and as predicted Leeds lost the following week.

But we weren’t good against Southampton. I don’t agree with the we were better in the second half, we were down 4-0 , Southampton switched off.

Ive always said I don’t believe Smith is the finished article as a manager and at times it shows on the pitch. He’s put good people around him to help make good decisions and we need to support him and believe this is working.

I believe we can get at Arsenal in the next match for the same reason we rolled them late last season, backing up 3 days after a match. They still don’t have the depth of the Top 4 sides and may be a good time to catch them. I’m expecting a reaction and think we might get something from the game.

We were still better in the 2nd half even if it's because Southampton sat back more.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If he isn't a troll he has easily the worst understanding of football I've ever seen. Remarkable someone can be so consistently wrong. Unbelievable actually...interesting he had a Fulham badge for over a year.

I've tried muting, but so many people innocently interact trying to understand the gibberish he comes out with it. There's no point reasoning with someone who doesn't use logic.

• Like 3

Â