The NSWE Board

Guest av1

I don’t think people are reading the posts properly and slightly twisting things to make it seem like a negative and say ‘how dare you criticise the owners’.

Nobody has criticised them. I’m disappointed in this summers recruitment, for sure. 

The last 5 years thing is BS now though. 

I’m disappointed in summers recruitment but I understand that the club has been really stretching the budget since promotion so I’m ok with us not going nuts this summer. If it means another season of mid table I’m fine with that. I’m thinking longer term still with stadium explanation etc.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m disappointed in summers recruitment but I understand that the club has been really stretching the budget since promotion so I’m ok with us not going nuts this summer. If it means another season of mid table I’m fine with that. I’m thinking longer term still with stadium explanation etc.  

Same. I think my view of the squad might be different from others, but I am not sure I feel our lads are quality enough to guarantee a top 8 spot as long as the manager is decent.

In my view, I see us fighting hard to even get into 10th. Lime REALLY hard. There are a lot of good teams, and the season is long. 

Even an amazing squad can suffer from injuries or just random results that make them miss out. 

Not everyone can be in th top 10, but everyone will give everything to be. It's going to be a fight.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Owners are amazing. I think Purslow can be questioned but the two owners saved us and are building for the future. 

Not many owners I'd prefer to have over them. I continue to hope that they're here for the long term. 

Absolutely fantastic owners, easily in the top 3 in the Premier League and possibly top (claret tinted glasses?).

Xia might have got us a theme park before bankruptcy though! 🤪

Lerner spunked money randomly for romantic nourishment and then turned off the taps all at once without a plan. 

Ellis didn’t really do anything to progress us in any way for decades and made us fall further and further behind.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

Since when did not throwing cash around aimlessly every window become a negative in how the owners are doing? You only have to look at clubs like  Man United and Everton to see where that gets you. Having a good team/squad with as minimal a cost as possible is how it should be done, not the other way. We have a really good squad now, any failures from here are on the manager. 

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

I don’t think people are reading the posts properly and slightly twisting things to make it seem like a negative and say ‘how dare you criticise the owners’.

Nobody has criticised them. I’m disappointed in this summers recruitment, for sure. 

The last 5 years thing is BS now though. 

The 5 years ago thing is extremely relevant. We are still trying to catch up with clubs that benefitted massively from being in the PL with its huge riches that just didn’t have. We the ffp thing may well be circumvented by clever lawyers, ours included but it is still a factor that we can’t simply ignore. 

Since promotion we have had to start completely afresh and some of the players we’ve bought over the last few years to help us grow are no longer what we require for the future. But we had to have them at the time as we weren’t able to attract better players or pay what they cost under the restrictions of ffp, which were compounded by our spell in the Championship. So those days in the not so distant past are very relevant. 

I think one of the reasons for the appointment of Steven Gerrard was to increase the club’s  profile. Possibly the take over of Newcastle was the catalyst for this acceleration or it could be part of the shorter term plans. There’s no denying that the plans, in this respect has worked. Obviously SG has to fulfill the other components of his job now. The leadership will give him some time to do this, as anything else would be wrong, certainly to the outside world. I doubt that the current pace of progress will be sufficient for an extended period though. 

My point is, if NSWE had bought the club off Randy Lerner when we were either  still in the PL or had only spent one season in rapid decline under Xia, where we are now would be very significant indeed. Treating the past as irrelevant to today is just not a viable argument. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Owners are amazing. I think Purslow can be questioned but the two owners saved us and are building for the future. 

Not many owners I'd prefer to have over them. I continue to hope that they're here for the long term. 

Purslow is the most visible of the hierarchy and if you stick your head above the parapet you can expect to get shot at. I’d say overall he’s done a good job, however the appointment of the manager is probably the only job that’s more high profile outside the players. 

I think the motivation for appointing SG  was, to some extent, to accelerate the profile of the club. I think the idea has worked as proven by some of the players we’ve signed plus Gerrard’s own profile. Whether he’ll be a successful manager in the short or possibly medium term remains to be seen.

Some have made their minds up already, one way or the other. How much we can attribute blame or praise to Christian Purslow however, I’m also undecided about. There’s certainly plenty of evidence that this appointment is his baby, but that doesn’t mean that NSWE didn’t agree with the plan, they’d certainly have had the final say. Whether this decision had a reluctant agreement or was backed wholeheartedly could perhaps be a factor in how well CP is sleeping these days. Either way, I doubt that if SG doesn’t succeed, it’ll be fatal for him. Provided NSWE are happy with most of the other things within his remit. 

7 hours ago, duke313 said:

What does the sustainable way look like? Any other clubs done it this way and are now competing at the top?

Staying within FPP mainly and not hitting a point where you can't improve and move forward because you can't spend money. Its about investing in youth. 

The top clubs got there before FPP was a major thing. You can't just spend like Brewster's Millions anymore. 

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Surely the only way to judge owners is over the period of time they've owned us?

Those four and a bit years are the only way to judge our performance under this ownership group.

How is that BS?

That’s not the point though OBE, what I’m getting at is, people keep saying ‘look where we were five years ago’ in response to those who are asking for more right now… where we were five years ago is irrelevant in that context. This is about the now.
We have been told by Purslow/Gerrard numerous times that the owners have ‘significant resources’ and we have ‘internal targets of finishing in Europe’ and all that jazz. From what I have seen this window, those words do not translate to that actions we have taken. In my view. 

We need to see a ruthlessness from NSWE. It’s clearly not working. If they genuinely want us to challenge the top 6, then Gerrard clearly isn’t the man. Need to do what Spurs did with Nuno last season and pull the trigger. 

• Like 3

Well, I fully support our ownership 100% but the gamble in hiring a relatively novice manager is not going to pay off. They really should try and find a manager/coach who  has the pedigree and experience to get the best of what should be a strong group of players.

On 20/08/2022 at 16:43, AshVilla said:

Yeah time for NSWE to show they mean business.

Europe? 

Your having a laugh.

Yeah, the £300m in transfer fees, running of the club debt free, bringing in huge names and transfer coups and totally reinvigorating the club from top to bottom just wasn’t meaning business enough for our guy AshVilla. 

Do something Wes, Nassef, what do you even do? Christ. 

• Like 1

Â