The NSWE Board

Guest av1

36 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Depressing post but this is what I fear too. The initial enthusiasm that came with the new owners is dampening a bit after a few badly planned signings and appointments. Hopefully Villa can keep a long-term outlook and work around these things.

It is depressing but at the same time there are clubs to look up to like Brentford and Brighton who proves you don't need a sugar daddy in order to compete.

They are so good at recruitment. They hit almost every single time and sell big.

There's a lot of confusion around Villa fans atm wondering why the owners don't spend as much. I belive the answer is very simple.

We've breached our FFP limit. I don't think it's about NSWE not wanting to spend. More so that they can't spend.

We need to sell in order to do some more  business but the likes of El Ghazi and Traore doesn't seem to attract much interest

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

It is depressing but at the same time there are clubs to look up to like Brentford and Brighton who proves you don't need a sugar daddy in order to compete.

They are so good at recruitment. They hit almost every single time and sell big.

There's a lot of confusion around Villa fans atm wondering why the owners don't spend as much. I belive the answer is very simple.

We've breached our FFP limit. I don't think it's about NSWE not wanting to spend. More so that they can't spend.

We need to sell in order to do some more  business but the likes of El Ghazi and Traore doesn't seem to attract much interest

Yes it could very well be FFP. But if it is, wouldn’t the club say so to avoid fans calling for more players? Maybe they want to avoid that sort of media scrutiny.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He has been backed, he has spent about 70 million simce arriving and our wage bill has risen significantly

And he shouldn't be trusted with any more money until he shows something that would make you believe he's a long term manager and not one that will be gone by Xmas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

And he shouldn't be trusted with any more money until he shows something that would make you believe he's a long term manager and not one that will be gone by Xmas.

They have decided to go all in on Gerrard.

A rookie in terms of elite level management.

Mostly buying older players for short term success, Kamara being the exception.

Imo absolutely mad decision by both the board and Purslow.

It's absolutely crazy to me that they would trust an unproven manager with such high risk, no resell value, high wages transfers.

If this doesn't work out we'll be in a bad shape.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Enthusiasm gone but are planning heavy investments in infrastructure? 

Newcastle isnt going wild either, sometimes patience and well planned actions are the best way to go. 

they're also trying to get a MLS team started

newcastle are really the only thing that has changed since they bought us too, FFP existed, the top 6 and the disparity existed , the challenge for what they are trying to do is no different from what it was 4 years ago so why would they suddenly be disparaged ? because we went backwards last year? 

even the reported changes in their personal lives seem to be that their wealth is increasing so i dont see why anything would have changed, their incredibly wealthy experienced businessmen, none of this could or should be harder than they anticipated 

not sure if this is impatience, being soiled, being overly negative or being too heavily invested when they wheel out the usual feel good marketing spiel about "we want europe!!!!" which isnt taken with the pinch of salt that it should be

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

They have decided to go all in on Gerrard.

A rookie in terms of elite level management.

Mostly buying older players for short term success, Kamara being the exception.

Imo absolutely mad decision by both the board and Purslow.

It's absolutely crazy to me that they would trust an unproven manager with such high risk, no resell value, high wages transfers.

If this doesn't work out we'll be in a bad shape.

Yeah when the couple of Champions League level players we have hit 30 years old , we are all doomed.

A new Manager will be crippled with a talented squad, all the other young players we have signed and already have in the academy and squad will be sold and we will cease to exist as a club.

We might then need to do like Wimbledon and break off into Solihull Dons and AFC Aston.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah when the couple of Champions League level players we have hit 30 , we are all doomed.

A new Manager will be crippled with a talented squad, all the other young players we have signed and already have in the academy and squad will be sold and we will cease to exist as a club.

We might then need to do like Wimbledon and break off into Solihull Dons and AFC Aston.

I liked what we were doing under Smith.

Signing players like Cash, Watkins, Bailey, Buendia etc is what we should keep doing.

Young players with resell value which we can develop along with us.

Older players on big wages does not suit where we are at as a club. It will only limit what we can do in the future based on FFP.

Hope I am wrong but I do believe the club has gone off track.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

NSWE may have had a plan all along to spend a truck load of cash and then scale back net spending when we are receiving decent fees for players leaving which wasn't the case when they brought the club.

They have openly said almost exactly that. Needed to invest heavily in the beginning but the club has to become financially sustainable. That’s fair enough, it’s a business and they’re businessman not an oil wealth fund. That’s why there’s such investment in the academy.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Signing players like Cash, Watkins, Bailey, Buendia etc is what we should keep doing.

Older players on big wages does not suit where we are at as a club. It will only limit what we can do in the future based on FFP.

Losing Grealish saw a shift in approach.  They can't keep developing players for the future only to then see them leave.  You don't progress doing that, you never catch up. 

They decided they wanted to win something and to do that you have to take a leap with the odd signing that is ready now, to complement your future stars. 

They've done this,  and elected to do it qith Gerrard at the helm. It seems his pulling power helped us over the line with a couple of our signings, so can't say it was a bad call. 

They'll be ruthless pulling the plug if it isn't looking like getting immediate results though. 

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

Brentford and Brighton are progressing by doing exactly that. 

It's all about have a good recruitment team. 

Progressing to where? Mid table? They both beat the worst Man United team this century  Let's see where they are at the end of the season.

Our owners have much higher aspirations than the Brentford or Brighton owners. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

and there lies the essence of our posistion....some expensive players have simply not worked out, in terms of effective play.....sure we see flashes of something, but not consistent effective play, that raises our game.

We can blame recruitment or blame the coaching,or both,  but this team still at times plays like individuals as opposed to a team....and wide open without the ball.

I think the Owners, have been ok in the main.....but some of the money spent, leaves me with melancholy.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

It's really thick. I can't believe Lange doesn't understand it. Maybe he does but can't do anything? Purslow's man is in and will do as he pleases.

You can get away with it if you're flying and getting immediate results. We haven't been, and don't look capable of doing so.

• Like 1

Here's another irregular Wes Edens update:

For those interested in where the money comes from, here's the latest transcript of the quarterly board meeting of Fortress Energy, which continues to go from strength to strength, they are showing some interest in moving to renewable hydrogen and look on track to open a large gas terminal in Shannon, Ireland, despite objections from the Irish Green party to the extension of fossil fuel infrastructure in the country.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4532897-new-fortress-energy-inc-s-nfe-ceo-wes-edens-on-q2-2022-results-earnings-call-transcript

So Page 4, a very, very good quarter for the firm by all measures. Total EBITDA, $283 million. If you take actually the last four quarters together, our trailing four quarters EBITDA is now just a shade over $1 billion, so $1.05 billion, so a real milestone.

Perhaps more worryingly for Wes Edens, Softbank (the owner of Fortress Investment group) has suffered record losses and is potentially looking to sell Fortress off. I can't say as I have any idea how that affects him, but I have a feeling that being sold off by a bank having a difficult time of things isn't plan A.

https://therealdeal.com/2022/08/09/softbank-mulling-fortress-sale-report/

Fortress on chopping block as owner SoftBank bleeds

And it looks like Middle Eastern buyers might be eyeing them up:

https://gulfbusiness.com/cash-rich-gulf-funds-splurge-on-mega-deals-as-liquidity-dries-up/

Just in the last few months, Gulf funds have emerged in talks to acquire everything from New York-based asset manager Fortress Investment Group to stakes in Klarna, the buy-now-pay-later giant, and British carmaker Aston Martin Lagonda Global Holdings.

In other news, he's sold some debt in order to finance more construction on his Brightline rail project in Florida.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-17/fortress-backed-rail-sells-760-million-debt-less-than-planned

The country’s first new privately financed intercity passenger rail in a century, launched in 2018 along Florida’s east coast, missed passenger and revenue forecasts even before the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic. Brightline is now adding more stations and finalizing the commuter rail initiatives with Miami-Dade and Broward counties to increase ridership and revenue.

It's much more difficult to find out stuff about Nassef Sawiris, but there is a very tenuous link to him increasing his 6.3% stake in the group that owns the New York Knicks and perhaps becoming outright owner there. Might be wishful thinking on behalf of the writer though:

https://sportsnaut.com/new-york-knicks-new-york-rangers-sale-options/

Nasseff Sawiris is already a minority stakeholder in the New York Knicks and is a multi-billionaire. Jonathan Boyer, says that Madison Square Garden Sports is arguably worth $6 billion. Sawiris is reportedly worth $7.5 billion, and could hypothetically buy the Knicks outright. If any individual was going to buy the Knicks, I would put Sawiris at the top of the list.

• Thanks 1

Lots of talk in the chats about owners losing interest I'll mention one thing the redevelopment of villa park will not go ahead if they have, reason for this is if the product on the pitch is not upto standard they won't get 30k fans per week let alone full 50k capacity.

NSWE are staying to carry on the project they will not increase capacity to have empty seats for home games.

So.unkess they pull plug on villa park redevelopment I'm.nkt concerned.

Edited by villan501

The issue the owners have is we have spent nearly £400m since taking over. What do they really have to show for it? We may not go down now, that's about it. We are realistically never going to compete with the top 6. They are too powerful and FFP is made to stop us making that jump. So at some point they will have to consider what are the maximum expectations they have. 

17 minutes ago, villan501 said:

Lots of talk in the chats about owners losing interest I'll mention one thing the redevelopment of villa park will not go ahead if they have, reason for this is if the product on the pitch is not upto standard they won't get 30k fans per week let alone full 50k capacity.

NSWE are staying to carry on the project they will not increase capacity to have empty seats for home games.

So.unkess they pull plug on villa park redevelopment I'm.nkt concerned.

This talk is pretty much from one poster though.

All indications are that they are very much here for the long haul.

To be honest, worst case scenario if the did indeed choose to sell, the club is still in an infinitely better position in every way.

Â