The NSWE Board

Guest av1

2 hours ago, veloman said:

I really can't vouch for the veracity of this but has anyone heard anything about a new Director of Football ….. from Portugal ?

I've seen a few links to Eduardo Macia (who is spanish), but he is also reported to be a target for UTD and Milan, so unlikely. 

Here Aston Villa are apparently hoping that they will be able to appoint Eduardo Macia as their new director of football with the Leicester City man now the new favourite for the post, according to a report from The Sun on Sunday (23/09; page 61).

The Villans seemed to begin a sizeable overhaul of their backroom options recently, and it appears that the new majority shareholders are aiming high in their attempts to get key figures into the club.

Here AC Milan, it is understood, have a firm interest in finding a role for Macia within their recruitment set-up.

Sportsmail has also learned Macia has admirers within the corridors of power at Manchester United, who are considering the appointment of their first technical director.

West Ham were keen on the Spaniard, who has also worked at Liverpool, in the summer by manager Manuel Pellegrini made clear he wanted Mario Husillos, who he worked with at Malaga, alongside him as the club's sporting director.

Aston Villa have also been credited with an interest, but there seems little benefit for Macia in leaving a Premier League side for a Championship.

Having worked with Christian Purslow at Liverpool, i guess if you are a glass half full type of person you may well think the Macia links have legs. 

If your glass is half empty i guess it could be lazy/speculative journalism. 

Would imagine it will all happen during the Octobe international break (like it did with RDM).

I would've made the change by now. This year's standard of teams is not a patch on last season. I think us being just 6 points off top spot despite only winning 3 games and generally being awful in most matches indicates that.

Every game we wait and subsequently don't win is another missed opportunity.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But Hughton hasn't done it 4 times so who cares...

Houghton is an incredible manager, think he has done it once? But then so has Di Matteo. Am I wrong I thinking with the current squad Di Matteo would’ve had us there or there abouts? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

I've seen this on here and on the socials, but the presumption that the owners "will have a plan" or "won't suffer fools gladly" is exactly that, a presumption. 

The fact of the matter is we don't know and aside from the hard stance on Grealish over summer, this is their first real test. I think there are those searching for optimism in silence and finding solace in "the owners will have a plan".

They might have a plan, sure, and there might be a reason they haven't removed Bruce yet, but this presumption that they will simply do the right thing is astounding after we extended the same belief in Dr. Xia. We know nothing, and a presumption shouldn't excuse them from being called into question the longer this goes on. 

I hope there's a plan and I hope they're looking for replacements, but didn't a paper report somewhere that Purslow wanted stability under Bruce? For all we know, they could simply be sat there waiting for this to blow over like Xia did time and time again during the rough patches.

As for Sawiris and Edens, well we'll find out what they're really made of soon enough. I hope it's what we want. I really really hope they have ambitions of instilling a system with the right manager in place. 

Can't compare Xia to these guys.

For one, they are considerably richer, and second, Edens already has experience running a sports team.

8 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

I've seen this on here and on the socials, but the presumption that the owners "will have a plan" or "won't suffer fools gladly" is exactly that, a presumption. 

The fact of the matter is we don't know and aside from the hard stance on Grealish over summer, this is their first real test. I think there are those searching for optimism in silence and finding solace in "the owners will have a plan".

They might have a plan, sure, and there might be a reason they haven't removed Bruce yet, but this presumption that they will simply do the right thing is astounding after we extended the same belief in Dr. Xia. We know nothing, and a presumption shouldn't excuse them from being called into question the longer this goes on. 

I hope there's a plan and I hope they're looking for replacements, but didn't a paper report somewhere that Purslow wanted stability under Bruce? For all we know, they could simply be sat there waiting for this to blow over like Xia did time and time again during the rough patches.

As for Sawiris and Edens, well we'll find out what they're really made of soon enough. I hope it's what we want. I really really hope they have ambitions of instilling a system with the right manager in place. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This - one thousand times - Don't assume that because we are part owned by billionaires that they come with footballing nous. 

I have been following villa for 45 years and remember when Ron Saunders left - it seemed inconceivable that they would allow a top notch manager like Saunders to walk without having a replacement lined up - As a much younger man I was convinced Brian Clough was waiting in the wings - ....he wasn't - in fact no one was - the board took the easy option and appointed his assistant Tony Barton. I have the seen the scenario repeated many times    "ah they must have someone lined up'  - In most cases they don't.

The manager I screamed moust loudly to be sacked in recent times was Houllier - my joy however was short lived when Alex Mcleish was unveiled - Further Disappointment when the useless Remi Garde was axed - in comes a new owner with big ideas - and with an open field to choose from he plucked RDM ! - I ve been a Bruce backer - but want it done now - I would hope that a club that still pulls in 35k crowds, and lofty ambitions have someone better than Dean Smith, or the rookie in Henry ........but I am not holding my breath.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can't compare Xia to these guys.

For one, they are considerably richer, and second, Edens already has experience running a sports team.

Lerner had also run a sports team before he came here, let’s not forget how badly that ended. 

We as a fan base have been stung too much in recent times for me to have any hope that these guys have a plan. The proof will be in the pudding as they say.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Lerner had also run a sports team before he came here, let’s not forget how badly that ended. 

We as a fan base have been stung too much in recent times for me to have any hope that these guys have a plan. The proof will be in the pudding as they say.

Didn't Lerner literally just inherit the Browns from his Dad?

Whereas Eden's actually bought the Milwaukee Bucks and turned then around?

Â