The NSWE Board

Guest av1

Really surprised they've gone for it at this stage, just before a single game followed by a big break.

Last int. window was the time these boys should have struck, we could have plenty more points.

Removing the fool a huge relief though.

They did the right thing in giving Bruce a chance to impress and he blew it.

We may know the new manager before the weekend with the speed of dismissals of the backroom staff but again, makes sense to let someone who works at the club to babysit this match so that they can see from the stands what he has to work with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Really surprised they've gone for it at this stage, just before a single game followed by a big break.

Last int. window was the time these boys should have struck, we could have plenty more points.

Removing the fool a huge relief though.

Steve Bruce became completely untenable last night. They may have been waiting for a natural break but he would have been barracked through the match v Millwall, now at least there will be some positivity on the day, we get a free hit at it. 

Our season starts as soon as we return from the international break. Hopefully we get the right man in and take the progressive approach and hire a modern day football-coach instead of another natural history museum contender.

May be harder than already is to convince a big name considering they may be told no money available due to FFP and if we dont get up we could conceivably start next season on minus x amount of points. Worth noting..

For a little while now I've been slightly troubled by something. But before that, firstly to say that I'm pleased they came along and essentially saved the club from the financial recklessness of Dr. Xia's massive gamble. I'm also pleased that as individuals they appear to have both genuine resources and a large degree of business and sporting experience. They chose well. They've bought a cracking football club. If they run it well they'll be both lauded and also much richer. Returning the Villa to the Premier league and building it back to what it was and what it should be would be hugely rewarding in many ways (and hard work, too).

Now to the niggle. When they came in it was suddenly, effectively, almost ruthlessly efficient, under the circumstances. Clearly they knew their way around a takeover.

They've appointed a CEO and are on course to appointing a DoF. They've sacked (rightly, in my view) the last manager and his staff, having previously also sacked various coaching staff and backroom people.

The thing that's a worry is that under Tony Xia, there was a plan (even if half of it was unicorns and rainbows). The plan was this "Villa Engine" gubbins. The consistent application of a single principle throughout the football side of things. Scouting, junior, youth, U-23, senior team - all to have a consistent pattern of play, to recruit younger players with promise, rather than over the hill, or at the peak, expensive players. The CEO working with the manager almost hand in hand, along with the DoF, Steve Round.

It seems like, for the moment at least that has gone, been lost in the changes. Baby and bathwater. Scouting has gone, and all the key football people, for the first team - manager, assistant, keeping coach, fitness coach etc. have gone. New owners, a new CEO, a new DoF on the way. A new manager on the way.

So where's the continuity for them to settle in to, all these new people? All of them from owners, to coaches to manager to scouts to god knows who else are going to have to come in, all in a short space of time to something that doesn't have an embedded structure or vision or plan (as far as we can tell).

That in itself is hugely challenging, but there's another aspect, too. Finance. All the personnel changes cost money. New deals for players cost money. FFP is there in the background, frowning disapprovingly while fingering its cane, ready to dish out a beating. Nassef Sawaris and Wes Edens involvement with Adidas and the Milwaukee Bucks and love of sport in general, offers hope of some level of understanding and knowledge of structures for football clubs and sports finance and business, but I fear that there's a lot they've yet to get a full understanding of and that the chances of errors on the way are high.

I wouldn't expect them to tell us what they're doing to manage FFP, or recruitment or much else. But what I would like to feel a little more comfortable about is basically how the club intends to shape itself for the future - are we to have an overhauled "Villa Engine" type plan? are we aiming to do a Man City or PSG style of "just buy the best" are we planning on focussing on really bringing through youth players and building over time? Are we planning on the "one team to get us up, one to stay up and another to reach towards winning things again?

Everything at the moment is one disruptive event after another. This has the advantage of getting it all out the way at once, I suppose, but the disadvantage that no-one can kind of look up above the fog and see the objective and just follow a well known path. They're all making it up as they go along, fighting crocodiles and no-one's draining the swamp (as far as we can tell). Already it's left us with a monumentally unbalanced squad, all right backs and surplus midfielders and almost no centre backs (well, one) or left backs (ditto) and three skittish keepers. If you wanted to sabotage a club's promotion chances, a lace defence and collection of seemingly overpaid, unwanted midfielders and forwards would be one way to go about it. There is of course an awful amount of talent in the squad too, and there's that to cling to - but so far the "birth" of Aston Villa under Nas and Wes is looking to be a difficult one.

So what do I want? Not much, in truth. I'd like to enjoy watching Villa play, which I haven't for the past few years. I admired Steve Bruce's teams resilience and competence, but it never thrilled me. Before that, well it was just defeats. I'd like the football to thrill me and be hopeful. I'd like the owners to get the structure and appointments right, and for someone to communicate what the vision is, how the swamp is going to get drained, so I can top worrying about crocodiles and start enjoying the view.

Edited by blandy
merged thread
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, blandy said:

For a little while now I've been slightly troubled by something. But before that, firstly to say that I'm pleased they came along and essentially saved the club from the financial recklessness of Dr. Xia's massive gamble. I'm also pleased that as individuals they appear to have both genuine resources and a large degree of business and sporting experience. They chose well. They've bought a cracking football club. If they run it well they'll be both lauded and also much richer. Returning the Villa to the Premier league and building it back to what it was and what it should be would be hugely rewarding in many ways (and hard work, too).:snip:

So what do I want? Not much, in truth. I'd like to enjoy watching Villa play, which I haven't for the past few years. I admired Steve Bruce's teams resilience and competence, but it never thrilled me. Before that, well it was just defeats. I'd like the football to thrill me and be hopeful. I'd like the owners to get the structure and appointments right, and for someone to communicate what the vision is, how the swamp is going to get drained, so I can top worrying about crocodiles and start enjoying the view.

Great post. It's always a pleasure to read the perspectives of fellow supporters when the content is so articulate and thoughtful. Thanks for your post.

What concerns you gives me hope. You have to strip the garden back and rid of the weeds before you can build the foundations for a new one to grow.

Likewise, there has to be a culture and environment worth maintaining in order to have any concerns about its continuation.

Xia was a publicity stunt. A PR campaign. What was proposed in the Villa Engine was opposed to what transpired. The plan was severely lacking any pragmatic quality in the pursuit of achieving the vision that was suggested. It became apparent that our aspirations were resting on an approach that could not endure the challenges faced. Not to mention that senior members of the board became conflicted and the relationship untenable, an indicator of commitment levels and belief in any plans for the club, and each other.

Without wanting to speculate and make assumptions that I can't verify, I think the handling of the takeover might be the first of a number of astute displays from our new owners.

"It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for".

They have quietly gone about their business so far, a head down approach. I would suggest that the disruptions are a necessary part of a process whereby we are rebuilt on solid foundations, something not present at the club previously. What will hopefully follow is a team of professionals competent in their respective roles and working complementary to each other.  We are not privy to interview processes or what discussions are being had behind the scenes but I am optimistic about the future from what is apparent.

I think we are going to be more astute in all aspects of what makes up a football club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â