Christian Purslow

villan-scott

Think that parts of our success can be attributed to him. It's also missed out that he owns a percentage of the club and helped get NSWE to buy the club, one of the best things to happen to the club in my lifetime. He also appointed Dean Smith who is my favourite manager in my lifetime. He got a 100 million release clause in a contract for a player from our academy and then the madman even got someone to pay it. We are commercially so much better as a club now and are often applauded by other clubs for how we handle our business. We are one of the only clubs I know to have almost no rumours leak about transfers until they're in the building signing on the dotted line. 

People were saying Smith needed to go months before he was sacked and the writing looked to be on the wall before a 5 game losing streak. Bruce was completely useless for a while before the triggered got pulled. I think it's our anger at Gerrard taking us backwards and the fact there's a link between Gerrard and Purslow that has fabricated the story that Purslow was solely responsible for his appointment and solely responsible for him lasting as long as he did. 

I don't want him to be completely and solely responsible for the next appointment but I also think he won't be. He's a successful businessman and you don't do well or get far by mixing personal feelings with business decisions. Gerrard is out and the next person brought in will be someone that the club consider to be the best candidate for the job available to us. 

I would add that I don't think the strong rumours of Poch over the weekend were smoke without flames. These days it is rare for a club to fire a manager in a spurious moment of anger without sounding out the replacements. Wolves and Spurs seem to be two clubs that have done it and for them to go through 10 options and everyone turn them down publicly is embarrassing. Our club isn't run in that way and that won't happen. 

I was quietly confident of this going very well and now I'm confident at an audible level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

Why would it be difficult to remove him? NSWE decide he's gone, he's gone, right?!

Being a shareholder himself muddies the waters slightly, but if you read what I said after that, I said a vote at board level would see him outnumbered if a decision is taken to replace him. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the inner workings of business than an emergency services worker (me) would be able to clarify the steps needed!

5 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Think that parts of our success can be attributed to him. It's also missed out that he owns a percentage of the club and helped get NSWE to buy the club, one of the best things to happen to the club in my lifetime. He also appointed Dean Smith who is my favourite manager in my lifetime. He got a 100 million release clause in a contract for a player from our academy and then the madman even got someone to pay it. We are commercially so much better as a club now and are often applauded by other clubs for how we handle our business. We are one of the only clubs I know to have almost no rumours leak about transfers until they're in the building signing on the dotted line. 

People were saying Smith needed to go months before he was sacked and the writing looked to be on the wall before a 5 game losing streak. Bruce was completely useless for a while before the triggered got pulled. I think it's our anger at Gerrard taking us backwards and the fact there's a link between Gerrard and Purslow that has fabricated the story that Purslow was solely responsible for his appointment and solely responsible for him lasting as long as he did. 

I don't want him to be completely and solely responsible for the next appointment but I also think he won't be. He's a successful businessman and you don't do well or get far by mixing personal feelings with business decisions. Gerrard is out and the next person brought in will be someone that the club consider to be the best candidate for the job available to us. 

I would add that I don't think the strong rumours of Poch over the weekend were smoke without flames. These days it is rare for a club to fire a manager in a spurious moment of anger without sounding out the replacements. Wolves and Spurs seem to be two clubs that have done it and for them to go through 10 options and everyone turn them down publicly is embarrassing. Our club isn't run in that way and that won't happen. 

I was quietly confident of this going very well and now I'm confident at an audible level.

You’re really a glass half full type of person aren’t you? Wish I was as optimistic.

What does make me a bit happier are the rumours about Sawiris taking more things into his own hands.

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

You’re really a glass half full type of person aren’t you? Wish I was as optimistic.

What does make me a bit happier are the rumours about Sawiris taking more things into his own hands.

Also if Purslow is so good why isnt he at Liverpool no longer? And why did Liverpool fans hate him? 

Purslow, this is why young upcoming managers, with no connection to the club, don't get given jobs at clubs aspiring to be in the top 10.

Even if you do have a connection to the club,  see Lampard getting Chelsea's lowest PPG record in decades, Ole failing, succeeding, then ultimately failing at United, or Sherwood at Spurs.

You don't give amateurs the key to your kingdom.

I don't expect him to get it right this time or stay out of football affairs. Not sure he should stay here. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Also if Purslow is so good why isnt he at Liverpool no longer? And why did Liverpool fans hate him? 

Because Benitez told them to hate him. He's beloved by the fans and any excuse not to blame him for their downturn was taken.

Purslow guided them to their current owners as well, they should be grateful. He left, wasn't removed, when the new owners had completed the takeover, when takeovers happen during a season there's always an effect on the pitch. Liverpool finished 2nd on a fluke and that squad over-achieved. Then they sold Xabi Alonso. Not sure what else was expected to happen when one of your best players leave, the replacement doesn't live up to the standards and the realities of over-achieving hit during a club takeover, along with Benitez boring style of play.

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Purslow, this is why young upcoming managers, with no connection to the club, don't get give jobs at clubs aspiring to be in the top 10.

Even if you do have a connection to the club,  see Lampard getting Chelsea's lowest PPG record in decades, Ole failing, succeeding, then ultimately failing at United, or Sherwood at Spurs.

You don't give amateurs the key to your kingdom.

Get it right this time. And then stay out of football affairs. 

What if he's a big name though and you can stand next to him on TV and with investors and colleagues and what if he can bring in other big names and you can stand next to them when the signing is announced and you can on talksport and sky sports and keep your name out there by association?

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Don’t be surprised if purslow falls on his sword too 

Surprised wouldn’t be my first emotion. Relief quickly followed by joy, depending on his replacement. 

The former CEO at Chelsea under Abramovich, Marina Granovskaia, aka the most powerful woman in football might be an interesting option. Half Canadian half Russian, Abromavich trusted her with everything including his money. When he had to sell up he gave her a golden goodbye of £20million. 

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Think that parts of our success can be attributed to him. It's also missed out that he owns a percentage of the club and helped get NSWE to buy the club

What evidence is there of him getting NSWE to buy the club?

As for his shareholding that will have little or no executive power, outside that of his position of CEO. I’d say it’s a reward mechanism if things go well. I have shares in Vodafone but they’re yet to give me a call when they make a decision. Not even the colour of the Chairman’s loo. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

He's clearly a pretender - wrapped up in the glamour of the game - his basic judgement calls have been very questionable - small man syndrome. 

Only in the footballing side of the business. I think he should have his role reshapen into something that plays to his strengths better i.e. off the pitch and financial matters.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Only in the footballing side of the business. I think he should have his role reshapen into something that plays to his strengths better i.e. off the pitch and financial matters.

That's not going to happen. You don't go from CEO to be marginalised.

He has to leave the business. No good can come from chopping his legs off.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Don’t be surprised if purslow falls on his sword too 

Purslow is quoted in the announcement of the departure of the coaches, the reasons why and that the new manger search is underway.

He's going nowhere and rightly so.

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Purslow is quoted in the announcement of the departure of the coaches, the reasons why and that the new manger search is underway.

He's going nowhere and rightly so.

Rightly so? 

Even the biggest Purslow fan could surely see that he has made some glaring errors over the last 18 months?

He may not go, fine, but let’s not pretend it would be surprising and unjust if he did. 

He’s on borrowed time either way for me.

Purslow sanctioned the signing of all the coaches that have now been sacked ...as well as allowed Gerrard to sign all those 30 year old players  going against the previous plan....and he gets off?

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Purslow sanctioned the signing of all the coaches that have now been sacked ...as well as allowed Gerrard to sign all those 30 year old players  going against the previous plan....and he gets off?

Its like when Truss threw Kwasi under the bus.

Â