Christian Purslow

villan-scott

Just now, Jareth said:

I think that's quite forgiving - SG was a bad idea at the start, let alone the end. Purslow rimmed SG, he did so at pool and he did at Villa. Why? Because Purslow adored the association. That is small. 

I would get your point if there was a string of unsuccessful managers but there has been two, two.

A ceo is usually judged on around 4-5 appointments. The next one is key and i think purslow will go all out to get someone on a much higher scale than gerrard. They would have learned alot form this failed gerrard experiment 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This just doesn't make sense to me, no disrespect. The buck stops with the CEO, in any company. Just because we have a DOF and a manager, it doesn't mean the blame lies away from Purslow. He hired these people and he signs the cheques. 
Should he back the manager? Yes, of course, but not implicitly to the point you undo all of the good work you've done in the years prior. Most successful clubs build a system whereby the manager slots in to a much bigger picture. Yes, he has a hand in who we sign, but the DOF and the scouting team are the ones that sign and identify the right players in a system that benefits the club in the long run. Where is the mileage in signing Ings, Digne, Carlos and Coutinho? Yes, we need a few experienced heads but that lot cost around £100m and their combined weekly wage is close to £500k a week. That's a combined total of £178m over the next 3 years on those 4 players alone (some actually have a 4yr deal) That is absolutely mental, especially when half of them sit on the bench and they have no resale value. 

Sometimes you need to look at things from a top line perspective without the nuances and caveats. We're 17th, in danger of relegation with a wage bill the size of a small countries GDP and a mind blowing net transfer spend for a club who don't qualify for Europe. 

He's doing a poor job. No two ways about it. 

Doesn’t the blame stop at the top?

NSWE out!

• Like 1

I'm amazed at the people who think any criticism of Purslow is unfair because he 'hired one bad manager'. 

F*** me. Look at our wage bill. Our net spend. Our playing squad and our position in the table. It's an absolute embarrassment given the sums of money we've spent under his tenure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Pure speculation we dont know what happened

This is it though, isn't it. Everything is speculation.

So how's about we don't speculate for a minute and look at the state of our team, our finances and our league position. It's woeful, on all fronts. 

Purslow has been dreadful for the last 18 months. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

If Sawiris had to step in and make the decision that his CEO wouldn't, I'd expect that CEO to be gone. Not only is it speculation, it doesn't make any sense.

People have decided he's a rocket polisher, and started working backwards from there.

• Like 2

You have seriously got to wonder what NSWE make of all this. Less than a year ago they paid Rangers millions to take Gerrard and his coaching staff. Now they have paid Gerrard and his coaching staff millions to sack them.

I don't think they'll want Purslow anywhere near the next appointment especially given that even the Smith appointment he was apparently not first choice and was behind Henry. 

Edited by markavfc40

Just now, Davkaus said:

If Sawiris had to step in and make the decision that his CEO wouldn't, I'd expect that CEO to be gone. Not only is it speculation, it doesn't make any sense.

People have decided he's a rocket polisher, and started working backwards from there.

No, people have decided he's a rocket polisher because of our league table, wage bill, transfer spend, the gerrard appointment and the threat of relegation. Then they've worked backwards from there. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

This is it though, isn't it. Everything is speculation.

So how's about we don't speculate for a minute and look at the state of our team, our finances and our league position. It's woeful, on all fronts. 

Purslow has been dreadful for the last 18 months. 

Whats wrong with our finances?

The team is hard to judge because despite us all disliking gerrard we havent seen it under carlos and kamara. 

I think CP being dreadful is far too Ott mate

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would get your point if there was a string of unsuccessful managers but there has been two, two.

A ceo is usually judged on around 4-5 appointments. The next one is key and i think purslow will go all out to get someone on a much higher scale than gerrard. They would have learned alot form this failed gerrard experiment 

Smith, Suso, Lange, Gerrard, that’s 4.

Why are people acting like sporting directors aren’t important appointments?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

No, people have decided he's a rocket polisher because of our league table, wage bill, transfer spend, the gerrard appointment and the threat of relegation. Then they've worked backwards from there. 

Purslow does everything at the club!

It's perfectly reasonable to be unhappy with the results and question him. I've no real problem with your posts.

Assuming that Wes must have intervened to sack him because Purslow wouldn't, on the other hand, is ridiculous

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Whats wrong with our finances?

The team is hard to judge because despite us all disliking gerrard we havent seen it under carlos and kamara. 

I think CP being dreadful is far too Ott mate

I don't. Not by a long shot. 

Our wage bill and the money we've spent should at least, see us competing for 8th. We're miles off that. 

We're being bankrolled, in an unsustainable fashion, by two billionaires who want success. We're happy racking up huge losses to try and be succesful and we're far from that. 

If we don't sack Purslow, fine, but I suspect some of you might be changing your tune when/if the money dries up and we're stuck with a load of plodders on 125k a week. 

• Like 1

I don't. Not by a long shot. 

Our wage bill and the money we've spent should at least, see us competing for 8th. We're miles off that. 

We're being bankrolled, in an unsustainable fashion, by two billionaires who want success. We're happy racking up huge losses to try and be succesful and we're far from that. 

If we don't sack Purslow, fine, but I suspect some of you might be changing your tune when/if the money dries up and we're stuck with a load of plodders on 125k a week. 

And we won't get any profit for any of our players. 

Been a shambles how we're being run. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It's perfectly reasonable to be unhappy with the results and question him. I've no real problem with your posts.

Assuming that Wes must have intervened to sack him because Purslow wouldn't, on the other hand, is ridiculous

I don't buy into Purslow not being the one that sacked him, and to be honest Davkaus, I don't really care. Ultimately, he was a very poor appointment and it's backfired.

I'm looking beyond the Gerrard appointment in my criticism. I think we've been poorly run for 18 months. Almost exclusively since Grealish left, I feel we've been on a downward spiral making bad decision after bad decision. 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Exactly this.

If Sawiris stormed out and had to instruct Purslow to sack Smith because Purslow was refusing to, he would be out already.

The reality is more probably Purlsow and the board have been thinking for some time Gerrard has to go.  

You don't get into a role like Purslow has without being ruthless and determined.  There is no room for sentimentality.  In my mind they've been holding their nerve but planning but they've finally decided enough is enough.

Bit it's laughable to believe they haven't been making contingencies. I would expect they have had feelers out for a while.

• Like 2

Just now, sidcow said:

Exactly this.

If Sawiris stormed out and had to instruct Purslow to sack Smith because Purslow was refusing to, he would be out already.

The reality is more probably Purlsow and the board have been thinking for some time Gerrard has to go.  

You don't get into a role like Purslow has without being ruthless and determined.  There is no room for sentimentality.  In my mind they've been holding their nerve but planning but they've finally decided enough is enough.

Bit it's laughable to believe they haven't been making contingencies. I would expect they have had feelers out for a while.

Hope so, mate. 

Almost exclusively since Grealish left, I feel we've been on a downward spiral making bad decision after bad decision. 

Couldn't agree more.

The one reason I'm not being *too* hard on Purslow is ultimately we don't know which decisions were his, which were Lange's, which were Smith's, which might have come from the owners. Take Ings. An utter disaster of a signing. Widely believed to come straight from Purslow, but I don't think there's anything concrete to back that up. 

The buck stops with him though, ultimately. Things haven't been good enough on the pitch. Not even close, and a new North Stand isn't going to fix that.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Pure speculation we dont know what happened

Given the nature of this forum and any other football forum, then speculation is always going to be bigger than actual facts. It doesn’t mean that some of the speculation isn’t true or at least reasonable given a set of circumstances. 

About a week ago Purslow told supporters groups that he was surprised at any speculation about Gerrard’s position. His boss shows up and Slippy is gone. It’s hardly an outrageous conclusion to come to that Nas was the trigger man. Anymore than Purslow was the driving force behind Gerrard’s appointment and his continuing here past his usefulness. 

• Like 1

Â