Christian Purslow

villan-scott

3 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I'm glad he sat there and was part of that, otherwise Smith would have had to answer questions about FFP and the club structure. 

He's quite convincing isn't he? 

He almost sounded offended at the suggestion of ignoring FFP (can’t remember the exact words but what a strange question to ask). 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’m with you there.

Clearly our new owners are on a different level in terms of weath to Xia and Lerner and I think Purslow likewise compared to Wyness, Fox and Faulkner but a degree of scepticism is justified, sensible even.

We were told there was a plan for FFP by Wyness yet seemingly the plan was to go bust before it was an issue. 

So while it’s reassuring to hear that there is no problem with FFP I remain sceptical at this stage, where trust has previously been given it will now need to be earned and that will take more than a press conference and some confidence.

We’ve been run appallingly since 2006 (and before in a different way but that’s a different thread), the new regime will need to establish a trust with many fans. That’s clearly going to lie with Purslow rather than the owners.

Totally agree, actions speak louder than words, so we shall see.   I could be wrong here, but didn’t Purslow invest in the club upon joining?  If he did, that would also suggest commitment and not someone that’s just here for the ride.  

• Like 1

He wasn't completely comfortable in front of the cameras, which for me was actually a positive.  The fact he wanted to do the press conference and introduce himself and explain the high level plan was admirable.  As has been said in here already, we've heard a lot of good noises in the past.  You don't typically get to that level without the ability to formulate impressively-sounding sentences that tick the audience's boxes.  Which is why the CV is king for me.  I have more faith in Purslow than I've had in the last few, even though the fan in me allowed me to get sucked in by the hope of a turnaround in the past.  We'll see what happens of course, but (and I know I'm repeating myself) I do actually think this lot know what they're at, primarily because they've done it successfully before, and that is vital.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Totally agree, actions speak louder than words, so we shall see.   I could be wrong here, but didn’t Purslow invest in the club upon joining?  If he did, that would also suggest commitment and not someone that’s just here for the ride.  

He is a share holder but I’m not sure if he invested, the share may well be part of his package.

Had a dream that we were back in the prem. Wolves and us had won a few competitions (this was our 3rd year in and we had won the league and FA cup, Wolves the same). So clubs like Man United and Liverpool put together a plan to change the rules so newly promoted clubs had to spend less money and couldn't win a trophy for 5 years.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I’m with you there.

Clearly our new owners are on a different level in terms of weath to Xia and Lerner and I think Purslow likewise compared to Wyness, Fox and Faulkner but a degree of scepticism is justified, sensible even.

We were told there was a plan for FFP by Wyness yet seemingly the plan was to go bust before it was an issue. 

So while it’s reassuring to hear that there is no problem with FFP I remain sceptical at this stage, where trust has previously been given it will now need to be earned and that will take more than a press conference and some confidence.

We’ve been run appallingly since 2006 (and before in a different way but that’s a different thread), the new regime will need to establish a trust with many fans. That’s clearly going to lie with Purslow rather than the owners.

Just to add to this, this is not a comment on Purslow as an individual who has impressed me so far, he strikes me very much as being a man who gets things done rather than being a man who talks a good game. 

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Just to add to this, this is not a comment on Purslow as an individual who has impressed me so far, he strikes me very much as being a man who gets things done rather than being a man who talks a good game. 

seems to have got his way on the manger front seeing as the owner wanted Henry   ... presumably Smith was his idea ?

Two things that were conspicuous by their  omissions in the press conference... Talk of grass roots youth development /'Villa engine' and the manager rumours e.g Henry. Clearly the press was told not to ask about other candidates. But when purslow was taking about Pitarch's role he didn't mention youth development, analytics or a joined up approach or ethos. I'm hoping it was just an oversight in the presser rather than an oversight in the strategy. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

seems to have got his way on the manger front seeing as the owner wanted Henry   ... presumably Smith was his idea ?

@tonyh29 what was your post the other day in relation to the current regime and there being bad stuff going on behind the scenes still, or something along those lines? Can you comment any further on that? Or can anyone else comment further for that matter... 

Edited by Tayls

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

@tonyh29 what was your post the other day in relation to the current regime and there being bad stuff going on behind the scenes still, or something along those lines? Can you comment any further on that? Or can anyone else comment further for that matter... 

disagreement is probably the word rather than bad stuff , though tbf I did use the word incompetent  as they had Henry in the summer and let him go and kept Bruce (borderline criminal :))   ... as  Smith was Purslow's idea it will be interesting if he doesn't work out how the owners view this (hopefully he will work out and we never need to find out ) .. though I guess you could also say fair play to the owners for listening to their man

Â