• Grealish
    • Kodjia
    • Green (Adomah 69)
    • Hourihane (Tuanzebe 82)
    • Whelan (Hepburn-Murphy 84)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/08/18 at 14:00

Some really bright moments tonight.  Kodjias 2 goals and Nylands saves will benefit us over the coming weeks and months.

The best bit was that we actually managed to outplay Brentford!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Hate to say but atm Jack is reminding me of Jack Wiltshire. Alot of pretty play but nothing that contributes from an end point. Maybe all the Spurs stuff is affecting him more than we know. I'd like to see how a McGinn/ Hourihane partnership would look. Think it'd more productive in a Cowans/Platt scenario.

I'm sure Jack's issue is the total lack of movement in front of him. Kodj stands still unless he has the ball, the wingers aren't wingers or playing on the wrong side so come into the middle of the pitch too much. He still had the best touch and vision of any player on the pitch tonight, but occasionally let down by lack of attacking options then making the wrong choice.

Ive have to go the eye clinic tomorrow - I think tonights ref should accompany me:-

The Kjodia run into the box - looked a decent shout for a penalty - I gather the handball was almost stonewall

He missed a blatant stamp and allowed a free for all kick in on Mcginn  (the guilty player then scored for brentford)

Amazingly at one stage we led on bookings 3-1 - Kjodia was carded for first his offence - whilst grealish was hacked at all night - and it seemed open season on tugging kjodia shirt

Unusual that all those things go against you - one of those in our favour and I feel sure we would have one the game.

Very poor

Though we blitzed Brentford for the first 60 minutes - One of the most one sided games I have seen in years - we do need more up front though.

• Like 1

Cracking first half and the best I’ve seen Villa play in a very long time.

However when Adomah was subbed Villa not only lost their momentum going forward but became more open as Green, is, well, a bit green concerning picking up runners on his flank. He will get better if given more game time which may be doubtful now considering the new signings.

Also thought Grealish got too deep from the 60th minute onwards which invited Brentford to attack more.

Kodjia was back to himself tonight. Gave Brenford’s young defence a torrid time.

First time I’ve seen McGinn play and was hugely impressed by him. A real snip at a couple of million.

I’m glad Villa only have to play Brentford once more in the league because they are a super team with plenty of movement going forward and will be a handful for anyone this season. Can see them being this season’s Wolves?

• Like 1

I thought we played well and really should have won easily but were glad to get a point in the end.Bruce deserves credit Axel looked good especially in first half..Kodja looks to have regained his skills with the addition of some loan signings things look promising.We definitely need CB and LB

Boss couldn't go, so he gave me his ticket. What I learned follows...

He has excellent seat

Jedinak isn't a centre half

Grealish is head and shoulders above anyone in this league

Brentford ain't all that

And finally, there are lots of know it alls that will never be happy

Good night

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, striker said:

Cracking first half and the best I’ve seen Villa play in a very long time.

However when Adomah was subbed Villa not only lost their momentum going forward but became more open as Green, is, well, a bit green concerning picking up runners on his flank. He will get better if given more game time which may be doubtful now considering the new signings.

Also thought Grealish got too deep from the 60th minute onwards which invited Brentford to attack more.

Kodjia was back to himself tonight. Gave Brenford’s young defence a torrid time.

First time I’ve seen McGinn play and was hugely impressed by him. A real snip at a couple of million.

I’m glad Villa only have to play Brentford once more in the league because they are a super team with plenty of movement going forward and will be a handful for anyone this season. Can see them being this season’s Wolves?

I know we scored in the last 15 secs. But I thought we were vastly superior to Brentford - they couldn't get out of there own half in the first 45 minutes. I think the constant fouls on Grealish, Mcginn , Kjodia eventually threw us off our stride. I can't see Brentford getting another ref like they had tonight.

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

Best 70 minutes of the entire Bruce era by a million miles and regardless of the result, I will take that as VERY encouraging.

I think we ran out of gas at 70 mins as we simply aren't used to playing a hi-line, hi-tempo game but that's the way we need to play from now on.

My only concern was the defence. Jedi is NOT NOT NOT a reliable CH and Tuanzebe is a poor right back ..... he'd do better in midfield. We may have to win games 4-3 throughout this season !!!

What?! Really? Destroying Wolves has to be the highlight so far, today doesn’t compare to that, at least imo.

Was a very entertaining game though (which makes a pleasant change) and there were definitely signs of encouragement.

Glad to have Kodjia back on form, I’ve always loved his hunger for goals and he will be a real asset this season.

Very excited by the El Ghazi & Bolasie signings! If we can get a proper CB, LB and CF in, before the end of the month, then I think we have a real chance of challenging for automatic promotion...

28 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Boss couldn't go, so he gave me his ticket. What I learned follows...

He has excellent seat

Jedinak isn't a centre half

Grealish is head and shoulders above anyone in this league

Brentford ain't all that

And finally, there are lots of know it alls that will never be happy

Good night

Oh and Birmingham is a bloody nightmare. Took me 2 hours to drive back. Oh and the Moss should get demoted to league two for a few weeks

A curate's egg that one. Good in parts espcially in the first half- some of the interplay was lovely stuff. I thought Tuazanbee and Whelan had good games and its great to see Kodja getting in the goals.

However the defence is a shambles and we have now let in 4 goals in our first 2 homes games. We have also scored late on in both making our points haul 4 instead of 1 as well though. We are showing character in coming back from being behind, but you can't keep on doing that.

Jedinak should never be in the centre half position again and we really need to grind out a clean sheet on Saturday. Surely we don't need a winger we need another centre half as Elphick is clearly not favoured by Bruce. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Godders said:

Turned the TV off in a rage so missed the equaliser. That'll learn me. 

You'd be hard pressed to find a Villa fan who thought we were going to score a last minute equaliser, it's not exactly a trait we perform often. Let's hope we can take the momentum from tonight and use it to climb our way up that table. Consistency is the key now. 

I doff my cap to the manager for tonight's performance. Credit where it's due.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, colhint said:

Interesting stat put up, maybe not. But if you look at the most fouled players in the division. Then add up the total for players 2 and 3 They just match Jack

not always a good thing... it slows us down too much and allows them the opposition to settle again. 

Hopefully now with better players around him in the front third, he releases the ball a bit earlier

10 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Match thread closed again while I'm still watching the game and posting but hey ho!

I locked it from the Holte when the whistle blew. When would you find acceptable?

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

I locked it from the Holte when the whistle blew. When would you find acceptable?

Not everyone gets the chance to watch from the Holte. Many I suspect have to watch via a stream like NowTV so there may be a short delay. Perhaps wait 5 minutes, it wouldn't hurt.

8 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I'm sure Jack's issue is the total lack of movement in front of him. Kodj stands still unless he has the ball, the wingers aren't wingers or playing on the wrong side so come into the middle of the pitch too much. He still had the best touch and vision of any player on the pitch tonight, but occasionally let down by lack of attacking options then making the wrong choice.

I think that's a bit harsh on Kodj, he prefers the ball at his feet and not played into space.   He did make a brilliant run in behind the defenders in the first half when Jack was running at the defence but instead of playing him through Jack carried the ball for too long

Jack is by far my favourite player to watch, but we need him at his best and that wasn't his best. He'll turn it around no doubt

Â