• Grealish
    • Kodjia
    • Green (Adomah 69)
    • Hourihane (Tuanzebe 82)
    • Whelan (Hepburn-Murphy 84)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/08/18 at 14:00

Villa were dominant tonight with some truly excellent football against one of the best teams in the league, tired in the last 20 minutes but showed great character (again) to get something from the game which we deserved. 

Get a good centre back in for Jedinak and and we'll be serious challengers. 

• Like 1

Thought we deserved to take all three points to be honest, possibly slightly claret and blue specs on there, but still....

Some big positives for me, particularly first half and our pressing and general forward play. Definitely questions to be answered at the back, but I honestly think Axel can do a perfectly good job there - quick and strong. Can’t understand where RDL is?

The two new wingers will improve us massively but some additions to the back line will go further to helping us gain promotion. 

Big shoutout to Kodja and McGinn

Onwards and upwards

UTV

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevenavfc1874 said:

You make it sound as if Bruce is sat there with an on/off switch. 2 teams are playing and it isn't possible to dominate for the entire match which is what you seem to expect.

I now have an image of Bruce on the sidelines holding a PS4 controller.

Best attacking football I’ve seen since wolves last season. But Tuanzebe is not a right back, Jedinak is certainly not a centre half. This is a back four you put out when you have five or six injuries, not your first choice back four. That’s on Bruce. Defensive signings or our season is gonna be a dud. 

Love the John and Jack show mind. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The Jekyll and Hyde nature of the match thread was ridiculous.  Somebody even called the keeper Gollini mk 2

It's standard. One bloke in the match thread last year said something like, "No, I won't give it a rest, it's all I've got left..." Which just about sums up the attitude of some people. No purpose unless they're expressing how angry and disappointed they are. 

Best 70 minutes of the entire Bruce era by a million miles and regardless of the result, I will take that as VERY encouraging.

I think we ran out of gas at 70 mins as we simply aren't used to playing a hi-line, hi-tempo game but that's the way we need to play from now on.

My only concern was the defence. Jedi is NOT NOT NOT a reliable CH and Tuanzebe is a poor right back ..... he'd do better in midfield. We may have to win games 4-3 throughout this season !!!

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Paul33 said:

Best 70 minutes of the entire Bruce era by a million miles and regardless of the result, I will take that as VERY encouraging.

I think we ran out of gas at 70 mins as we simply aren't used to playing a hi-line, hi-tempo game but that's the way we need to play from now on.

My only concern was the defence. Jedi is NOT NOT NOT a reliable CH and Tuanzebe is a poor right back ..... he'd do better in midfield. we may have to win games 4-3 throughout this season !!!

Agree with everything although I thought tuanzebe was reasonably good

• Like 3

I suppose there is no chance Maupay will be retrospectively punished for the stamp?

Good performance for about 70 minutes but then we wobbled a bit. Well, a lot really. 

We obviously have a problem in front of goal.  Should have turned that early dominance into 2 or 3 goals but we didn’t have anyone tonight who looked like scoring except Jimmy. In our first two games midfielders and defenders filled the gap but that didn’t happen today. 

Need to sort this. We’re signing 2 new wingers but who they gonna cross it to?

Off now for a few days away from Villatalk since it will all be anti Bruce snd I really don’t see how he can be blamed for that draw.

It’s the forwards wot let us down.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 4

Much MUCH better from us, for most of that game we dominated completely. I think there is a point in the possesion-debate in the fact that in our best one hour of that game Brentford was completely out of tune in their passing game, and made simple errors giving the ball straight back. The point being that although a possesion based style might not always produce more chances it can really reduce the effectiveness of the other team having to start cold after a long spell in defense mode. 

McGinn is a fantastic player and my motm tonight. Maupay wins the a**hole of the evening award.

Give kodjia motm for his goals but i thought whelan was outstanding doing his role. Its clear with 2 new wingers we will be a lot more of a threat going forward, that game should have been put to bed by the first half, fantastic performance just a shame about the result. 

• Like 4

Generally good stuff but I thought Jack had an indifferent game (this from one of his biggest fans). Also, it seems to me that he and McGinn seem to want to take up the same space left of centre.  They both seem to prefer playing there, and Jack doesn't look so threatening coming in from the right. This is something that needs sorting: do we have the coaches to do it?

• Like 1

Â