Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

His stats seem to suggest that he is PL quality. This highlights why we now have an army of data analytics guys. Some players appear to come across as weak or poor just by their general demeanour and as we know, once fans get down on a player he can do no good. A popular player misses a chance and it’s, “Good try, unlucky”, if it’s an unpopular player it’s, “Rubbish, get him off”. 

I’m not having a dig at you because it’s human nature and I’m as guilty of it as anyone else but the decision making process has to be more clinical these days than just a feeling or a hunch. It could be the difference between blowing £30m on a player who 6 months down the line is worth nothing, (we have plenty of recent examples to recall) or finding a gem from under the radar for a few quid. It’s no good continuing to look on enviously at the recruitment at clubs like Brentford and Leicester and not doing anything about it. Recent backroom appointments suggest that the penny has finally dropped. 

Some players are good at crossing, shooting and generally have a knack for striking the ball. I'd say AEG falls into that category, despite having wasted a fair few clear cut chances last season. But it's not worth much when your general play is subpar. To be a PL level footballer you need to be very good at basics, and I just don't see it with him. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Some players are good at crossing, shooting and generally have a knack for striking the ball. I'd say AEG falls into that category, despite having wasted a fair few clear cut chances last season. But it's not worth much when your general play is subpar. To be a PL level footballer you need to be very good at basics, and I just don't see it with him. 

I’m sure we have stats on every part of his game, including his defensive frailties. We also analyse players character and how they fit in both on and off the pitch. It’s a much more scientific approach, or at least that appears to be the direction we are heading in.  It’s no longer a few coaches and a couple of senior pros getting together and saying, “Yeah he’s a good lad, got a bit of pace and a goal or two in him, sign him up”. 

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m sure we have stats on every part of his game, including his defensive frailties. We also analyse players character and how they fit in both on and off the pitch. It’s a much more scientific approach, or at least that appears to be the direction we are heading in.  It’s no longer a few coaches and a couple of senior pros getting together and saying, “Yeah he’s a good lad, got a bit of pace and a goal or two in him, sign him up”. 

I'm sure the club does, but on a fan forum it's more about how a player comes across. Goes without saying it's subjective. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

To quote my 15 year old after he missed/bottled that chance against Everton 'I never want to see that man in a Villa shirt again after the end of this season' 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, tinker said:

He needs competition for his place. Give him that and maybe we will see him start to fight for the right to play. 

He was bench warming for last 5-6 games so it's already happened.

If we started the season tomorrow then I imagine it would be Trez and Grealish either side of the main forward which shows we need to crack on with getting some new attackers in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

His stats seem to suggest that he is PL quality. This highlights why we now have an army of data analytics guys. Some players appear to come across as weak or poor just by their general demeanour and as we know, once fans get down on a player he can do no good. A popular player misses a chance and it’s, “Good try, unlucky”, if it’s an unpopular player it’s, “Rubbish, get him off”. 

I’m not having a dig at you because it’s human nature and I’m as guilty of it as anyone else but the decision making process has to be more clinical these days than just a feeling or a hunch. It could be the difference between blowing £30m on a player who 6 months down the line is worth nothing, (we have plenty of recent examples to recall) or finding a gem from under the radar for a few quid. It’s no good continuing to look on enviously at the recruitment at clubs like Brentford and Leicester and not doing anything about it. Recent backroom appointments suggest that the penny has finally dropped. 

Were you not disappointed when he decided after the first 10 minutes he didn't fancy Southampton away after we went 1 down and asked to be taken off? No issue if a player like McGinn goes off early also v Southampton as he was out for months but AEG was back 8 days later for the cup final like nothing had happened.

I agree he's got the attributes to be a decent premier league wide player but something is missing. Ultimately this season he needs to be starting less and then we'll see how hungry he is from his cameos off the bench, certainly could be a decent impact player for last 20 minutes.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Were you not disappointed when he decided after the first 10 minutes he didn't fancy Southampton away after we went 1 down and asked to be taken off? No issue if a player like McGinn goes off early also v Southampton as he was out for months but AEG was back 8 days later for the cup final like nothing had happened.

I agree he's got the attributes to be a decent premier league wide player but something is missing. Ultimately this season he needs to be starting less and then we'll see how hungry he is from his cameos off the bench, certainly could be a decent impact player for last 20 minutes.

I agree with some of that I do, I just dont think he is good for us unless he sorts his attitude out. I have to say I think ever since he started behaving poorly his game went way down. I dont know what hes up to but if hes to play minutes then he is going to have to sort himself out.

Smith is going to have to lay into him if he does it this season, we cant be affording it on field, whether its having a pop at players or walking off or holding up the match. I hope Smith will drop him soon as he start it if he starts the silliness.

Maybe then if Ghazi sorts that side of himself out maybe his game play will pick up also.

If we cannot get him playing decently then I would look to see at nearest opportunity.

11 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

His stats seem to suggest that he is PL quality.

Sorry you can put all the stats he did and it still doesn't show how terrible he was most of the season, he missed some blinders, disgusting misses, criminal like from that close range.

If the stats Ghazi got suggest hes premier league player then it really goes to show that its clearly not all about stats. Most his stats I bet came from start of the season when I must say he was playing good, but that soon faded and he was before and after lockdown. Must of made the squad feel like they were down to ten men with Ghazi on.

What is annoying about his horrendous displays is how Smith stuck by him thick and thin,same with Samatta. Yet after a while there was clear and obvious choices to make and Smith stuck by the very two he should of changed and used the next best thing which was to use youth.

26 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Sorry you can put all the stats he did and it still doesn't show how terrible he was most of the season, he missed some blinders, disgusting misses, criminal like from that close range.

If the stats Ghazi got suggest hes premier league player then it really goes to show that its clearly not all about stats. Most his stats I bet came from start of the season when I must say he was playing good, but that soon faded and he was before and after lockdown. Must of made the squad feel like they were down to ten men with Ghazi on.

What is annoying about his horrendous displays is how Smith stuck by him thick and thin,same with Samatta. Yet after a while there was clear and obvious choices to make and Smith stuck by the very two he should of changed and used the next best thing which was to use youth.

I don’t disagree that he was poor for a lot of games. The thing with stats is that you have to look at all of them and not just cherry pick the ones that suit your argument (not yours). I’d like to think that we now as a club have the set up and the right staff to use data constructively.

I still think there’s a place for good old fashioned nouse and good old fashioned scouting, it can’t all be about data. However it appears that that’s the way the world is now and we are investing heavily into it. You’d be mad to ignore it, especially since our recruitment has hardly been a roaring success. 

As for Smith sticking with Samatta and AEG, I understand your frustration, but there was little in the way of options. I disagree with throwing youth into the middle of a relegation fight. Anyway what Smith did worked. 8 points from the last 4 games is European qualifying form. 

16 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

I really don't get the hatred he gets here...Like Keyblade and MotoMkali said, if we had a couple of decent strikers he could easily have double his number of assists

This is something that's typical of VT, but having a discussion on a player where you aren't praising him, does not equate you are hating him. People need to learn what hate mean, cause it's a strong word. 

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This is something that's typical of VT, but having a discussion on a player where you aren't praising him, does not equate you are hating him. People need to learn what hate mean, cause it's a strong word. 

When I wrote that message it was in elation to a poster quoting his son after his miss against Everton, saying he would never see AEG in a Villa shirt again. Thats as close as it comes. I didnt see the same post when Trez missed his one on one against Manchester United.

Just now, Taxahunter said:

When I wrote that message it was in elation to a poster quoting his son after his miss against Everton, saying he would never see AEG in a Villa shirt again. Thats as close as it comes. I didnt see the same post when Trez missed his one on one against Manchester United.

No it's not. It simply means he thinks the player is not of sufficient quality to play for AVFC. It quite obviously does not mean he or his son hates him. Have a word. Hate as a word normally transcends any professional lines and goes into personal territory. If you think someone is so unfit for purpose that you have such an intense dislike for them you hate them, it's not related to their professional capacity anymore. At least I've never heard of an example. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Not the only time last season he threw his hand in, then there was head-butting Mings after being gripped for terrible defending - & somehow not being sent off. 

He’s no worse than Trez in terms of ability but his attitude stinks, imo. I’d be happy to see the back of him ASAP. 

17 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

I really don't get the hatred he gets here...Like Keyblade and MotoMkali said, if we had a couple of decent strikers he could easily have double his number of assists

We've all played with El Ghazi's in some form. Even in 5 a side. They are the best players, the most skillful, get goals and they can do things all your other picks cant...but you dont pick them. Let the other captain have them.

They dont track back, they have no discipline, they dont battle, work hard and if you go a goal down (or 5 as it is in five a side) you never see them again. They flap their arms. Slump their shoulders. Blame everyone else. Stop moving.

I've played with a load of El Ghazi's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
Â