Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

Ideally I'd keep him around as technically he's a good player, problem is between the ears but get the feeling we'll cash in on him last few days of the window if we land another 2-3 attackers.

Given he's still pretty young I imagine we can get back what we paid for him.

Unless Trez is on the way out instead given he didn't feature last night.

Was really hoping he’d kick on. He had some really good games in the Championship, was actually one our better players in the POF.  Also comes across as very likeable - but yeah, it’s just not happening for him at the moment. Yesterday was such a nothing performance in a game he really should be shining in.

I wouldn’t get rid of him - even if we bring in Rashica/Traoré - as maybe the competition will do him good. Besides, in my opinion he’s better technically than Trezeguet. However, I agree he‘s much less effective, he just doesn’t seem to have the same drive/will-to-win as Trez does.

Edited by Cizzler

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ideally I'd keep him around as technically he's a good player, problem is between the ears but get the feeling we'll cash in on him last few days of the window if we land another 2-3 attackers.

Given he's still pretty young I imagine we can get back what we paid for him.

Unless Trez is on the way out instead given he didn't feature last night.

The spine, heart & guts are also good candidates...

14 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I’ll always have a place for him because of the Wembley goal but I think he’s hit his ceiling for us. 

And that game against west brom when he scored a worldie then grew in confidence and      And looked like a superstar,  he’s always been a confidence players from day one he loves scoring in front of a full villa park, but when things go wrong he shrinks and shrinks and its been down more often than not for a while now unfortunately 

Just now, gwi1890 said:

And that game against west brom when he scored a worldie then grew in confidence and      And looked like a superstar,  he’s always been a confidence players from day one he loves scoring in front of a full villa park, but when things go wrong he shrinks and shrinks and its been down more often than not for a while now unfortunately 

We need to move him on tbh

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

If we get 2 wingers/forwards in yes otherwise he might as well stay around 

Yeah, I think we will. Trez is fine off the bench and contributes a lot more. No place for Anwar and he’s had enough time to prove himself. 

I think we should give him another year. It was a difficult season for all last season. I admit I thought he would have adapted better to the prem given his record playing at Ajax and Lille but he was not very consistent. Look he is 25, didn't cost a lot and scored one of most important goals in our clubs history. Give the lad a break.

• Like 4

We have a group of first team fringe players that just aren’t good enough for a solid PL team. Like Hause, Trez, Samatta, Lansbury, Hourihane, Taylor, possibly even Wesley. AEG is in that group. 

I'm not expecting or think we should replace them all this window as it needs to be a gradual process, but I wouldn't exactly be shocked to see any of them replaced. 

AEG was poor last night, but that's not the issue. The issue is that he's always poor. Just not the required standard. 

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think we should give him another year. It was a difficult season for all last season. I admit I thought he would have adapted better to the prem given his record playing at Ajax and Lille but he was not very consistent. Look he is 25, didn't cost a lot and scored one of most important goals in our clubs history. Give the lad a break.

I think this is fair. Ultimately I really thought he would have been good last season and one I thought had the capacity to progress in the premier league. The fact we are looking at a couple of wingers says it all though and I think sadly his confidence is shot. He really struggled against Burton last night. 

I won't write him off yet, yes he was poor last night, worst player on the pitch for us in fact, but he has got ability and he has shown glimpses of that in his time here.

Definitely a confidence player but he needs to add some aggression to his game, he has been way too passive in many performances for us and last night was the same.

Hopefully if we get some real competition for him (with the likes of Rashica & Traore) then he can step up to the plate.

I'd keep both him and Trez this season but ideally neither in our first eleven, one as sub and one fighting to get in the match-day squad.

• Like 3

Did nothing last night. Frustrating, as he chalks up with a decent amount of goals and assists (4 and 4 last season, which isn't bad given he wasn't a consistent starter). Problem is, he does nothing else so it's like we've got 10 men for too many games.

If he isn't looking the part in training - i.e. he doesn't show that he has another level or 2 he can go to - I would get rid while we are still be able to get some money for him. We have bought other players, and have U23s who can be in the squad and need a chance.

TransferMarkt.com shows a value of £7.2m - I'd take that (don't shoot the messenger, it's an independent opinion).

Quoting the much maligned David O'Leary I think sometimes we are a bit fickle.  We don't seem to give players a second chance if they have a couple of bad games, the new person is always better until they become rubbish as well. We need to build a strong squad and I think AEG can help to that. Does that mean he should always be first choice? No but competition for places is important. He scored 6 goals, 4 in the league last year in a low scoring and struggling side. 

If I was to put a bet on who'd make it in the premier out of Samatta, Ghazi and Trezegeut  I would lay my chips down on Trezegeut because of his hard work and willing to never give up. As for Ghazi he is lazy, hes a coward in front of goal and he hasnt show much all season.

I for one Hope's Smith drops him and hes on his way out because he clearly is struggling and at this level you have to get upto speed as fast as possible or you have to move on. He does nothing for the team hes in and hasnt helped himself one bit since the start of the season when he scored those few goals which I think was just Ghazi riding some luck.

I think Ghazi is suited to to championship level and unfortunately that's all i see him at because I do not think he has what it takes to succeed as a prem footballer.

19 hours ago, Dave-R said:

If I was to put a bet on who'd make it in the premier out of Samatta, Ghazi and Trezegeut  I would lay my chips down on Trezegeut because of his hard work and willing to never give up. As for Ghazi he is lazy, hes a coward in front of goal and he hasnt show much all season.

I for one Hope's Smith drops him and hes on his way out because he clearly is struggling and at this level you have to get upto speed as fast as possible or you have to move on. He does nothing for the team hes in and hasnt helped himself one bit since the start of the season when he scored those few goals which I think was just Ghazi riding some luck.

I think Ghazi is suited to to championship level and unfortunately that's all i see him at because I do not think he has what it takes to succeed as a prem footballer.

Yeah, I was just watching his highlights from 18/19. He looks a completely different player. Just steaming past players. Is it that he was afforded space and was just a bit more athletic than his Championship counterparts. The Prem is much more athletic. Or is it a confidence issue with him, feeling he is not part of a first 11.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that nearly all those highlights are with him coming from the left. Maybe he's a been a victim of Jack moving out there. He's struggled to be effective playing on the right and has subsequently lost his confidence and that of the manager. He struggled with consistency even in the Championship. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Interesting that nearly all those highlights are with him coming from the left. Maybe he's a been a victim of Jack moving out there. He's struggled to be effective playing on the right and has subsequently lost his confidence and that of the manager. He struggled with consistency even in the Championship. 

To be fair only the elite wingers are consistent. AEG is £10m purchase. He's inconsistent in games. I've defended him to the hilt. However it's clear he won't be successful here. I hope he can rebuild his career elsewhere as he's a lovely lad. Unfortunately Villa Park has become too toxic towards him. He is mentally shot.

40 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Yeah, I was just watching his highlights from 18/19. He looks a completely different player. Just steaming past players. Is it that he was afforded space and was just a bit more athletic than his Championship counterparts. The Prem is much more athletic. Or is it a confidence issue with him, not feeling he is not part of a first 11.

This is why it surprises me with all the ‘slow’ accusations on this forum. He’s clearly pretty damn quick 

We've seen tiny bursts of that skill, a couple audacious linkups with Doug for instance, but something has been wrong with his mentality since nearly the start of the season. That argument with Mings, the ghost injury that had Jack laughing at him, on and on. Has not looked happy or comfortable for what must be some reason one would think more serious than just being switched wings, especially when he's played quite a bit more on the right than the left throughout his career. I think it's perhaps that coaches and teammates are demanding more defensive/grunt work from him than he likes to put in now that we're in the PL. Seems like where some of the on-field stuff sprung up, anyway. Or maybe it's just all not as easy as he thought it would be and he's let that drag him down.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

To be fair only the elite wingers are consistent. AEG is £10m purchase. He's inconsistent in games. I've defended him to the hilt. However it's clear he won't be successful here. I hope he can rebuild his career elsewhere as he's a lovely lad. Unfortunately Villa Park has become too toxic towards him. He is mentally shot.

Thing is, it isn't just about a weather you are inconsistent, but to which degree . In Ghazi's case his poor/anonymous performances outweigh his good ones by a long shot. I agree that it would be best for him and for us if he moved along.

Â