Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

58 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Interesting that nearly all those highlights are with him coming from the left. Maybe he's a been a victim of Jack moving out there. He's struggled to be effective playing on the right and has subsequently lost his confidence and that of the manager. He struggled with consistency even in the Championship. 

Very much this. I don't rate el Ghazi, mostly mentally rather than technically, but he is much better on the left than on the right (incidentally, so were Adomah and Green). 

This is mostly why I was never really excited about Benrahma, he clearly is a left winger and that's Jack's position. To accommodate both you would have to move one of them (I am of the idea that Jack is better on the left than in midfield). Sure, it's great to have squad depth, but it would make more sense to first spend the big money in the positions where quality is lacking, rather than the opposite. Sorry if I went on a tangent 😅

100% the case that he’s a left winger being asked to play on the right. No surprise he hasn’t been as good. 

BUT I think Jack is a better left winger so it’s up to Anwar to step up his game - and even though I really like him I can see how confidence is critical for him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

Interesting that nearly all those highlights are with him coming from the left. Maybe he's a been a victim of Jack moving out there. He's struggled to be effective playing on the right and has subsequently lost his confidence and that of the manager. He struggled with consistency even in the Championship. 

Dont forget Jack was only put out there because we had Ghazi running the show and he wasnt doing the job so in comes Grealish to make it work. If anything Ghazi is the reason for the change on the left it's possibly a lack of his abilities, skill all while being to lazy or not bothered, his work rate dropped big time after first few games if the season. Remember in the championship Ghazi would run the show onthe left, he looked a menace many a time and as (GENTLEMAN) simply put it, *the premier is much more athletic* so hes struggled with it a d found it to difficult.

I think it took a while for Smith to see it, but eventually he had no choice but to place Grealish in Ghazi's position. Smith was limited to choices last season not much he could of done but watch a very inexperienced, not moulded  and a very green team play football at it's very highest level. Ghazi wasn't the only person who struggled, alot did before lockdown. The only difference between Ghazi and some of those other players is after lockdown finished the team as a whole responded and made real effort.The time Ghazi had on the pitch after lockdown was a big letdown and on two occasions cost us because he couldnt provide defensive cover and was like other times hes screwed up criticised bigtime and rightly so.

I used to love Ghazi in the championship, but even his attitude has changed as well. The reason for that I along with many others do not know, it does make you curious if there is a reason as to why he has gotten more volatile,frustrated over things. If memory serves me right this season there were a few Ghazi situations that stuck out. The first was Mings telling Ghazi what to do in a defensive situation and Ghazi completely messed up, didnt mark his man well enough and Ghazi and Mings got into heat which resulted in Ghazi giving Mings abit of a Headbutt. The second was when it looked like Ghazi just could not be bothered at all. I remember that because he was laying there on the pitch and again Mings came over and was telling him off like he was saying just get up your not as injured as you make out you are. Also looked like Mings was explaining that we have momentum and your taking your time to start walking, it all took some time but he did take the pee abit there. I do think there is one more to add but honestly I cant jog my memory, all I know is he is a troubled player at the moment.

I do hope whatever is causing AEG to fail so bad at his job that he can somehow find a way to get back in the squad and repay Smith most of all and then his team mates for trusting him to get things done. I'd love to know the reason why hes struggling so much, is it physical or mental, you would have to say mental wouldnt you??

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

To be fair only the elite wingers are consistent. AEG is £10m purchase. He's inconsistent in games. I've defended him to the hilt. However it's clear he won't be successful here. I hope he can rebuild his career elsewhere as he's a lovely lad. Unfortunately Villa Park has become too toxic towards him. He is mentally shot.

Villa park? The crowd were nothing but supportive last season terrific in fact. How can he be mentally shot playing in front of physios and staff?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Villa park? The crowd were nothing but supportive last season terrific in fact. How can he be mentally shot playing in front of physios and staff?

Yawn. Fans don't just exist in stadiums. Social media? Message boards?

Edited by Sulberto21

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

How? We’re not in the ground 

Send him messages on social media. He looks drained of confidence. I’m speaking from experience. I have been there. The look on his face reminds me of when I didn’t believe in myself. It’s sad to see. 

4 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Send him messages on social media. He looks drained of confidence. I’m speaking from experience. I have been there. The look on his face reminds me of when I didn’t believe in myself. It’s sad to see. 

Can second that doesn’t matter if its in sports life or whatever the last thing you need is more people getting on your back its not like he doesn’t know his form is bad he is absolutely shot and bad comments on social media doesn’t help, you only have to look at Douglas Luiz to see what a bit of confidence does to a player 

4 hours ago, WooJung said:

Thing is, it isn't just about a weather you are inconsistent, but to which degree . In Ghazi's case his poor/anonymous performances outweigh his good ones by a long shot. I agree that it would be best for him and for us if he moved along.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Yeah, I was just watching his highlights from 18/19. He looks a completely different player. Just steaming past players. Is it that he was afforded space and was just a bit more athletic than his Championship counterparts. The Prem is much more athletic. Or is it a confidence issue with him, feeling he is not part of a first 11.

He's playing on the left in the majority of those clips. The reason he was playing on the right last season is because we literally had nobody else. Trezeguet was shocking before lockdown and Jota just wasn't up to it. He's not really a right winger.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

He's playing on the left in the majority of those clips. The reason he was playing on the right last season is because we literally had nobody else. Trezeguet was shocking before lockdown and Jota just wasn't up to it. He's not really a right winger.

Even then he still regularly put in good crosses that nobody finished. Just look at Newcastle and Sheffield games after the restart he could have had 3 assists if our strikers were better but instead he ended up with none and our fans were slating him for a poor ball to Davis even though he had to beat Davis's man.

If he got involved earlier it would boost his confidence and if he could just get one or 2 crosses to end up on ollies head he would instantly be so much better for us I think. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Always considered that he could play both flanks. He is both footed? Perhaps a lot to ask for him to step up to Prem on his unfavoured flank. Still posted reasonable numbers for debut season. Maybe that *miss* against Everton is clouding people's judgement?

Â