Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

What seemed to work against Newcastle is him starting wide and drifting inside. We can do that now that we have capable full backs .

His goal and assist return this season has surprised me. I feel like he's improving each game at the moment. Long may that continue. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I said he could play through the middle. You agreed. I agree with your agreement. 

If you want to debate my criticism of his defensive work (which was much improved last night BTW) and wide play, then tell me why.

You don’t need to start your post with ‘ok your post is stupid’ - it’s not Twitter.  

I did tell you why I though the post was stupid. I'm sorry if you were offended by it but to me it read as you were once again scapegoating el ghazi after a good game

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I did tell you why I though the post was stupid. I'm sorry if you were offended by it but to me it read as you were once again scapegoating el ghazi after a good game

The post you’ve quoted wasn’t in response to last night’s game and I have not scapegoated El Ghazi at all. 

I posted that two weeks ago, after the Wolves game. 

Over the first dozen games of the season, he’s often struggled to have an impact on general play from wide areas IMO.

He is a potentially cracking player, arguably the best natural finisher currently at the club (it’s a low bar mind you) and he scores some quality goals.  

When he plays as more of a traditional winger, he struggles to beat his man 1v1 and isn’t in the game enough (again, IMO), but when he drifts inside he can be devastating and looks a different player. 

Last night he started in a wide position, but came inside a lot more often, made some superb runs in between/behind their fullbacks/Centre-backs and caused problems. He also worked a lot harder than I have seen in some games and I think he’s been spoken to about it (same with Big Wes) 

Grealish also said in his post match interview that over the past 10 days, AEG has looked ‘as good as he’d seen him’ in training - so he’s clearly working hard on his game and trying to improve. Last night was probably his best performance in the Premier so far. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

I think that was his best game for us, much better when he drifts inside same as Jack on the left. It leaves room for Guilbert to work the wing. He's missed a few sitters now If he could just start finishing a bit more consistently he really could be top draw. . 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

He's another example of how good a coach Dean is. 

Said this at the end of last season. He'd have been mad to to anywhere else. 

The difference in him from Bruce to Smith is night and day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I think that was his best game for us, much better when he drifts inside same as Jack on the left. It leaves room for Guilbert to work the wing. He's missed a few sitters now If he could just start finishing a bit more consistently he really could be top draw. . 

I honestly can't remember a single sitter he's actually missed for us.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I honestly can't remember a single sitter he's actually missed for us.

Up until he scored at Newcastle he was sitting on 3 missed of 3 sitters.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Up until he scored at Newcastle he was sitting on 3 missed of 3 sitters.

He hadn't had a single shot. Targett's ball was a little to far away for him and that can't be considered as missing a sitter.

I remember him missing 2 sitters against Norwich and one against brighton but aside from that I don't remember him missing any good chances. And 2 of those missed sitters were awkward bounces from volleys with 2 or 3 players in the way.

He should have scored more against Newcastle but to me that is down to mcginn and grealish not releasing the ball into him earlier. 

25 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He hadn't had a single shot. Targett's ball was a little to far away for him and that can't be considered as missing a sitter.

I remember him missing 2 sitters against Norwich and one against brighton but aside from that I don't remember him missing any good chances. And 2 of those missed sitters were awkward bounces from volleys with 2 or 3 players in the way.

He should have scored more against Newcastle but to me that is down to mcginn and grealish not releasing the ball into him earlier. 

He could of easily scored that sitter at Newcastle he missed. That's the problem what ever happened to players throwing themselves at the ball, a diving header or a sliding kick would of seen Ghazi's Sitter in the net. He had all the speed and the right approach to bag that goal, Target had place that ball in front of his pass just right, people say our lads don't have enough aggression at the moment and they are right because that would of been through the net..

Yeah that should of been in it show the angles of Ghazi's miss at the start of the highlights.

Edited by Dave-R

He could have done much better with the chance he had in the first minute or so against Liverpool. His tricks got him through on goal but his shot was tame. Not sure it counts as a missed sitter but it was great opportunity. 

Edited by It's Your Round

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

He could of easily scored that sitter at Newcastle he missed. That's the problem what ever happened to players throwing themselves at the ball, a diving header or a sliding kick would of seen Ghazi's Sitter in the net. He had all the speed and the right approach to bag that goal, Target had place that ball in front of his pass just right, people say our lads don't have enough aggression at the moment and they are right because that would of been through the net..

El ghazi did slide on his knees he just couldn't get there. The ball needed a run to the front or the back post El Ghazi was trying to connect with the ball at the closest point to the goal. If say mcginn had made a run to the backpost it is an easy tap in finish.

Dont get me wrong the ball was a good cross but our players didn't really gamble no one got a roos to the front post no one was at the back post so we wasted a good opportunity. Hopefully we learn from that and in the future our attackers will be more aggressive with their runs in the box. 

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

He could have done much better with the chance he had in the first minute or so against Liverpool. His tricks got him through on goal but his shot was tame. Not sure it counts as a missed sitter but it was great opportunity. 

The problem in that scenario is after you have taken players on the ball often isn't in the best position for a strike or you are off balance so it would have probably required an extra touch to get a good finish by that point one of the Liverpool defenders probably would have tackled him. 

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

The problem in that scenario is after you have taken players on the ball often isn't in the best position for a strike or you are off balance so it would have probably required an extra touch to get a good finish by that point one of the Liverpool defenders probably would have tackled him. 

Yeah he was off balance and had to dig the shot out. I’ve got no complaints about him in general, he’s improving well and seems to be getting to grips with the premier league. 

I think wes dropping deeper when he have had the ball has really opened a huge amount of space Anwar is now exploiting. The gap between the Newcastle Centre halves was huge and Anwar kept running in to it but no one picked him up. But Jack and John didn't pick him out. We definitely need to use our players runs more effectively because eventually the runs will stop and we won't have any options. 

Â